Power Options After Colorado Adopts California ARB Standards

I wasn't aware until very recently, but in 2018 Hickenlooper signed a bill for Colorado to adopt California's emissions standards (the dreaded CARB). There's roughly a 0% chance Polis will undo it, I wager.

The new rules are supposed to start sometime in 2020 (I don't know exactly when). I've tried to find details with Google, but haven't had much luck. I figured I'd ask my fellow Coloradan Jeepers on the forum.

Does anyone know when exactly this takes effect? Anyone know the full extent of the implementation? For example, many counties in Colorado don't do emissions tests. Will they have to start performing them? What if you have a non-CARB compliant modification installed prior to the new rules?

The reason for my curiosity is that my next big project was going to be a V8 swap on my JKU. There are very few CARB compliant options, as far as I'm aware. The only one I know of is the Gen IV 5.3 LS from Motech. Their other options aren't CARB certified. AEV is not CARB, either. I'm trying to figure out what options I'll have left once the new rules take effect.

I wasn't planning on doing this for another year or two, but I might move up the plan if my car would be grandfathered in by doing it before the new CARB laws take effect. Admittedly, if they take effect at the calendar start of 2020, it's probably not possible.

In short, how painful will a V8 swap be once Colorado adopts the new laws?

Thanks in advance!

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I wasn't aware until very recently, but in 2018 Hickenlooper signed a bill for Colorado to adopt California's emissions standards (the dreaded CARB). There's roughly a 0% chance Polis will undo it, I wager.

The new rules are supposed to start sometime in 2020 (I don't know exactly when). I've tried to find details with Google, but haven't had much luck. I figured I'd ask my fellow Coloradan Jeepers on the forum.

Does anyone know when exactly this takes effect? Anyone know the full extent of the implementation? For example, many counties in Colorado don't do emissions tests. Will they have to start performing them? What if you have a non-CARB compliant modification installed prior to the new rules?

The reason for my curiosity is that my next big project was going to be a V8 swap on my JKU. There are very few CARB compliant options, as far as I'm aware. The only one I know of is the Gen IV 5.3 LS from Motech. Their other options aren't CARB certified. AEV is not CARB, either. I'm trying to figure out what options I'll have left once the new rules take effect.

I wasn't planning on doing this for another year or two, but I might move up the plan if my car would be grandfathered in by doing it before the new CARB laws take effect. Admittedly, if they take effect at the calendar start of 2020, it's probably not possible.

In short, how painful will a V8 swap be once Colorado adopts the new laws?

Thanks in advance!

Damn! There was a chance of moving to CO in a few years. May have to reconsider if that’s the way the state is going...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Damn! There was a chance of moving to CO in a few years. May have to reconsider if that’s the way the state is going...

Might I suggest Montana, Idaho, or Utah? lol

Colorado is turning bluer every election cycle. The Front Range (Denver + Boulder) is becoming more populated and is forcing its will on the rest of the state. I'm not super excited about it, tbh.

It's definitely a detractor for any part of car culture. I'm hoping there'll be some way to do a V8 and stay road legal, though.

jdofmemi

Damn I hate to hear how screwed up my home state has gotten.

The front range needs to secede from the rest of the state, and then do whatever the hell they want without trying to ruin the way of life of the rural 80% of the state.

If this continues, they will make outlaws out of the majority of the rural population.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Damn I hate to hear how screwed up my home state has gotten.

The front range needs to secede from the rest of the state, and then do whatever the hell they want without trying to ruin the way of life of the rural 80% of the state.

If this continues, they will make outlaws out of the majority of the rural population.

It will probably end up like Cali where there’s counties that just don’t enforce all of the state laws. I have a buddy that actually loves central/nor cal because he knows what counties to be in

sm31

Might I suggest Montana, Idaho, or Utah? lol.

Don't forget Wyoming! :)

Lived there for 6 years before moving to AK... only to be disappointed because AK doesn't have near as much in common with
Wyoming as I hoped it would. I'll probably leave this place to the lefties and heading back to WY within the next few years.

Top Bottom