Deal or no deal?

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
They’re are a lot of good deals right now on lightly used JLUs in my neck of the woods and it’s got me itching to get out of the 3.8 4 speed to the 8 speed auto. There’s one JLU in particular that has only 7k miles and going for 31K. Car fax is clean and it’s for sale at a reputable Jeep dealership.
I can’t really afford to own two wranglers so I’d have to trade in or sell my 2007, which, even though it’s slow as a sloth, I do love how it handles off road and the mods it currently has such as EVO DoubleD longarm and PR44 up front, among a few other items. Being that it’s my wife and my first wrangler and we’ve had so many fun adventures, it does have sentimental value to us as well. My build plan is to one day be on 40s, so I’m thinking now might be the time to get into a moderately priced JLU and spend the Jeep savings I have on some UD60s on a JLU instead of sinking the money to upgrade the JKU.
Any thoughts from those who have owned both platforms JKU and JLU? Should I take the plunge on a JLU and start a new build? Is 31K a good price for a slightly used JLU?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
Is your current Jeep paid for? If so, I’d spend the 31k on a V8 and 60s if your planning on going 40s. I know it’s not quite that simple, but by the time you up-fit the JL with bumpers winch, etc, you’d be a lot further ahead taking your build all the way verses the 31k, minus what you get for yours, for the JLU plus 20-25k you’d put into it to put 40s on it some day. Just my opinion

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If it were me, this is a no brainer. Having owned and wheeld a 3.8L JK, I can tell you that a JL with a 3.6L and 8-speed auto IS the way to go. I wouldn't even give it a second thought. But then, that's just me.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I would take off what you can from the JK and sell then trade it in.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yep. I’m seriously considering this option.

Is your current Jeep paid for? If so, I’d spend the 31k on a V8 and 60s if your planning on going 40s.
2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Jeep is completely paid for—that’s another good thing I didn’t mention. I won’t lie, I’d love the power of a V8. We drive through a lot of mountain passes on our adventures and our Jeep is weighted down with all kinds of camping gear, throw in a little wind and the Jeep can barely get out of its own way, lol. It’s just an awful amount of coin for something I know very little about regarding how to fix should things go wrong. I’m thinking the oem engine/tranny is a more reliable setup in general but maybe I’m just a worry wart. I’ve never owned a vehicle that’s had an engine swap. I’ve owned my JKU for ten years and it’s never left me stranded.

The whole frame thread makes me not want a JL, I agree with WJT

Well, if you’re referring to the death wobble issues, I believe Eddie has tracked it down to the a front track bar bushing.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
If it were me, this is a no brainer. Having owned and wheeld a 3.8L JK, I can tell you that a JL with a 3.6L and 8-speed auto IS the way to go. I wouldn't even give it a second thought. But then, that's just me.

Thanks Eddie. So I’m not totally crazy thinking about going for the JL? I might be going for test drive in the morning.

jdofmemi

Thanks Eddie. So I’m not totally crazy thinking about going for the JL? I might be going for test drive in the morning.

Once you drive one, you WILL be hooked.

Trading in the current Jeep, you will take a bath. In all likelihood, you will get zero for any added parts.

If you can, buy the JL, then sell the current rig yourself, so you can get at least some of the value of it.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I think that’s a great deal. Like stated before I would pull all the parts off and save for the JL if compatible or sell them. And then trade in or sell the JK for the JL. If it was a higher price then what you said then I would push away but man that’s not bad and for such low miles.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Jk Jeep Geek

They’re are a lot of good deals right now on lightly used JLUs in my neck of the woods and it’s got me itching to get out of the 3.8 4 speed to the 8 speed auto. There’s one JLU in particular that has only 7k miles and going for 31K. Car fax is clean and it’s for sale at a reputable Jeep dealership.
I can’t really afford to own two wranglers so I’d have to trade in or sell my 2007, which, even though it’s slow as a sloth, I do love how it handles off road and the mods it currently has such as EVO DoubleD longarm and PR44 up front, among a few other items. Being that it’s my wife and my first wrangler and we’ve had so many fun adventures, it does have sentimental value to us as well. My build plan is to one day be on 40s, so I’m thinking now might be the time to get into a moderately priced JLU and spend the Jeep savings I have on some UD60s on a JLU instead of sinking the money to upgrade the JKU.
Any thoughts from those who have owned both platforms JKU and JLU? Should I take the plunge on a JLU and start a new build? Is 31K a good price for a slightly used JLU?

Are the majority of the lightly used JLUs 2018? Im constantly on car gurus looking at jeeps for sale and I notice a bunch of 18’s for sale with a range of anywhere from 5 to 10k miles on them. As an owner of a 2018 JLU bought new and had the death wobble start at 3500 miles my theory is most of the jeeps I see for sale, that year, and with that low mile range, are ones that owners experienced the death wobble early on and either out of sheer dissatisfaction or they couldn’t get the problem fixed just got out of them ASAP. Just a theory

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Are the majority of the lightly used JLUs 2018? Im constantly on car gurus looking at jeeps for sale and I notice a bunch of 18’s for sale with a range of anywhere from 5 to 10k miles on them. As an owner of a 2018 JLU bought new and had the death wobble start at 3500 miles my theory is most of the jeeps I see for sale, that year, and with that low mile range, are ones that owners experienced the death wobble early on and either out of sheer dissatisfaction or they couldn’t get the problem fixed just got out of them ASAP. Just a theory

Interesting theory. What I’m seeing is kind of a mix between’18 and ‘19. There’s just a hell of a lot of used jeeps on the lots right now and with the JT out as well, I think our Albuquerque market is a little saturated with wranglers. I’m going to test out just how bad they want to get rid of one, lol. I’m trying to talk the wife into going for some test rides today. I started out by making her breakfast hee hee.

Jk Jeep Geek

Interesting theory. What I’m seeing is kind of a mix between’18 and ‘19. There’s just a hell of a lot of used jeeps on the lots right now and with the JT out as well, I think our Albuquerque market is a little saturated with wranglers. I’m going to test out just how bad they want to get rid of one, lol. I’m trying to talk the wife into going for some test rides today. I started out by making her breakfast hee hee.

Good luck and happy Jeep shopping!

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
So....I went and test drove a 2018 sport JLU auto and all I can say is wow.... such a difference from my 3.8 JKU. The actual price was 33k but the Jeep had just under 3k miles on it. I’m tempted to jump on this deal but not sure if I want a sport or save a little more for a rubi. I just can’t say enough good stuff about that 8 speed auto. Mind you, I’m coming from the 3.8 4 speed, so it’s quite a big difference. Anyhow, here’s a shot of the JLU we test drive today. Thanks for all the suggestions and responses.

IMG_4863.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL - a test drive is all you need to see the light! Like I said, I wouldn’t give it a second thought. If you can afford it, Rubicon is the way to go - at least, in my opinion anyway [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Exodus 4x4

So....I went and test drove a 2018 sport JLU auto and all I can say is wow.... such a difference from my 3.8 JKU. The actual price was 33k but the Jeep had just under 3k miles on it. I’m tempted to jump on this deal but not sure if I want a sport or save a little more for a rubi. I just can’t say enough good stuff about that 8 speed auto. Mind you, I’m coming from the 3.8 4 speed, so it’s quite a big difference. Anyhow, here’s a shot of the JLU we test drive today. Thanks for all the suggestions and responses.

View attachment 338396

I drive several JL’s at the shop but never really fell in love with the new platform, that is until I got my JT. If it wasn’t so good I wouldn’t be considering selling the JK. Also, if you plan on building it up for 37’s, don’t get a sport. The whole D35/D30 will only end up costing you more money down the road. Go Rubicon, weld a truss over the FAD, throw a 2” lift on it, and you’re good for 37’s.

I also don’t advocate putting a V8 in the JK just because it may seem “cheaper” than buying a JL. That’s like saying you saved $1,500 on Black Friday spending $3,000 on shit you didn’t need in the first place.

But if you do, call me[emoji2]

WJCO

Meme King

I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure all Sports come with a 3.45 gear ratio whereas the Rubicon trim comes with 4.10s. Just something else to keep in mind.

The best car payment is no car payment. Seeing how your JK is paid off I would just throw your money at building it to how you want it.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
The best car payment is no car payment. Seeing how your JK is paid off I would just throw your money at building it to how you want it.

Damn you, voice of reason. Why’d you have to show up? Right you are regarding the payments, they’re no fun and I am reluctant to get back into payments. My issue with the current Jeep is that we like to drive (sometimes long distances) to our wheeling destinations and with the high desert mountainous terrain the 3.8 really makes it unpleasant. If I trailered the Jeep, it wouldn’t be an issue, as it has adequate power on the trails but we don’t want to go that route for a number of other reasons.
So, I’m either going to drop $25k for a V8 in a 13 year old Jeep and then another $15k+ on axles to handle that V8 or get a lightly used JL (thinking Rubi now) put a two inch lift on it and run 37s. I think a good case could be made for either route but I am leaning towards the JL. May the good lord save me from the things I want, lol.

Top Bottom