Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deal or no deal?

Nothing but a Thing nmwranglerx's Avatar

Deal or no deal?

Theyíre are a lot of good deals right now on lightly used JLUs in my neck of the woods and itís got me itching to get out of the 3.8 4 speed to the 8 speed auto. Thereís one JLU in particular that has only 7k miles and going for 31K. Car fax is clean and itís for sale at a reputable Jeep dealership.
    I canít really afford to own two wranglers so Iíd have to trade in or sell my 2007, which, even though itís slow as a sloth, I do love how it handles off road and the mods it currently has such as EVO DoubleD longarm and PR44 up front, among a few other items. Being that itís my wife and my first wrangler and weíve had so many fun adventures, it does have sentimental value to us as well. My build plan is to one day be on 40s, so Iím thinking now might be the time to get into a moderately priced JLU and spend the Jeep savings I have on some UD60s on a JLU instead of sinking the money to upgrade the JKU.
    Any thoughts from those who have owned both platforms JKU and JLU? Should I take the plunge on a JLU and start a new build? Is 31K a good price for a slightly used JLU?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    "all roads lead somewhere" -anonymous

I would take off what you can from the JK and sell then trade it in.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37Ē Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5Ē Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40Ē Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

Is your current Jeep paid for? If so, Iíd spend the 31k on a V8 and 60s if your planning on going 40s. I know itís not quite that simple, but by the time you up-fit the JL with bumpers winch, etc, youíd be a lot further ahead taking your build all the way verses the 31k, minus what you get for yours, for the JLU plus 20-25k youíd put into it to put 40s on it some day. Just my opinion

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

The whole frame thread makes me not want a JL, I agree with WJT

If it were me, this is a no brainer. Having owned and wheeld a 3.8L JK, I can tell you that a JL with a 3.6L and 8-speed auto IS the way to go. I wouldn't even give it a second thought. But then, that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    I would take off what you can from the JK and sell then trade it in.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Yep. Iím seriously considering this option.

Quote Originally Posted by wjtstudios View Post
    Is your current Jeep paid for? If so, Iíd spend the 31k on a V8 and 60s if your planning on going 40s.
    2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    Jeep is completely paid foróthatís another good thing I didnít mention. I wonít lie, Iíd love the power of a V8. We drive through a lot of mountain passes on our adventures and our Jeep is weighted down with all kinds of camping gear, throw in a little wind and the Jeep can barely get out of its own way, lol. Itís just an awful amount of coin for something I know very little about regarding how to fix should things go wrong. Iím thinking the oem engine/tranny is a more reliable setup in general but maybe Iím just a worry wart. Iíve never owned a vehicle thatís had an engine swap. Iíve owned my JKU for ten years and itís never left me stranded.

Quote Originally Posted by JKbrick View Post
    The whole frame thread makes me not want a JL, I agree with WJT
    Well, if youíre referring to the death wobble issues, I believe Eddie has tracked it down to the a front track bar bushing.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    If it were me, this is a no brainer. Having owned and wheeld a 3.8L JK, I can tell you that a JL with a 3.6L and 8-speed auto IS the way to go. I wouldn't even give it a second thought. But then, that's just me.
    Thanks Eddie. So Iím not totally crazy thinking about going for the JL? I might be going for test drive in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by nmwranglerx View Post
    Thanks Eddie. So Iím not totally crazy thinking about going for the JL? I might be going for test drive in the morning.

Once you drive one, you WILL be hooked.

Trading in the current Jeep, you will take a bath. In all likelihood, you will get zero for any added parts.

If you can, buy the JL, then sell the current rig yourself, so you can get at least some of the value of it.

I think thatís a great deal. Like stated before I would pull all the parts off and save for the JL if compatible or sell them. And then trade in or sell the JK for the JL. If it was a higher price then what you said then I would push away but man thatís not bad and for such low miles.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by nmwranglerx View Post
    Theyíre are a lot of good deals right now on lightly used JLUs in my neck of the woods and itís got me itching to get out of the 3.8 4 speed to the 8 speed auto. Thereís one JLU in particular that has only 7k miles and going for 31K. Car fax is clean and itís for sale at a reputable Jeep dealership.
    I canít really afford to own two wranglers so Iíd have to trade in or sell my 2007, which, even though itís slow as a sloth, I do love how it handles off road and the mods it currently has such as EVO DoubleD longarm and PR44 up front, among a few other items. Being that itís my wife and my first wrangler and weíve had so many fun adventures, it does have sentimental value to us as well. My build plan is to one day be on 40s, so Iím thinking now might be the time to get into a moderately priced JLU and spend the Jeep savings I have on some UD60s on a JLU instead of sinking the money to upgrade the JKU.
    Any thoughts from those who have owned both platforms JKU and JLU? Should I take the plunge on a JLU and start a new build? Is 31K a good price for a slightly used JLU?

Are the majority of the lightly used JLUs 2018? Im constantly on car gurus looking at jeeps for sale and I notice a bunch of 18ís for sale with a range of anywhere from 5 to 10k miles on them. As an owner of a 2018 JLU bought new and had the death wobble start at 3500 miles my theory is most of the jeeps I see for sale, that year, and with that low mile range, are ones that owners experienced the death wobble early on and either out of sheer dissatisfaction or they couldnít get the problem fixed just got out of them ASAP. Just a theory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast