Time for new springs and shocks

Leeboy03

My rk springs are done and it’s time to upgrade the shocks too. Exodus recommended the evo plush ride springs paired with fox shocks or Kings if I had the extra $$$. I was pretty much set on the Kings but now I’m thinking that if I went with fox, I’d have more money to spend elsewhere. So are kings worth the extra money? I’m in the southeast so Mainly dd and old forest service roads, nothing extreme.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
I love my King 2.5 adjustables and I DD mine with them for 3 years. If you’re worried about cost, the Rancho 9000s are a good option too, but they are not at the same level when it comes to performance.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I have no experience with either. But was pretty surprised in an Eddie video that Mel said the kings need to be rebuilt annually. That’s a hefty cost maintenance if that’s true.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Leeboy03

I love my King 2.5 adjustables and I DD mine with them for 3 years. If you’re worried about cost, the Rancho 9000s are a good option too, but they are not at the same level when it comes to performance.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Thx for the input. I have the funds for the king adjustables and the springs but that would get most all of what I have to spend at the moment. But if I went with something cheaper I’d be able to get some pro grips or new fenders. I’m sure the king’s are great, just wondering if they are overkill for me or will I regret not getting them

Leeboy03

I have no experience with either. But was pretty surprised in an Eddie video that Mel said the kings need to be rebuilt annually. That’s a hefty cost maintenance if that’s true.

Yeah I’ve read that several time. And I’m sure it all depends on how you drive them. But at least they can be rebuilt instead of having to buy new ones. Pretty sure fox can rebuild theirs as well

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Yeah I’ve read that several time. And I’m sure it all depends on how you drive them. But at least they can be rebuilt instead of having to buy new ones. Pretty sure fox can rebuild theirs as well

Bilsteins are really good too. That’s what I’m running right now.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Thx for the input. I have the funds for the king adjustables and the springs but that would get most all of what I have to spend at the moment. But if I went with something cheaper I’d be able to get some pro grips or new fenders. I’m sure the king’s are great, just wondering if they are overkill for me or will I regret not getting them

You’ll never regret them and you can always rebuild them verses having to replace them and loose the investment. But I get having other projects and the pro grips are an important upgrade.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

jdofmemi

My rk springs are done and it’s time to upgrade the shocks too. Exodus recommended the evo plush ride springs paired with fox shocks or Kings if I had the extra $$$. I was pretty much set on the Kings but now I’m thinking that if I went with fox, I’d have more money to spend elsewhere. So are kings worth the extra money? I’m in the southeast so Mainly dd and old forest service roads, nothing extreme.

I followed Bubba's recommendation on the Fox shocks with EVO springs on the JL build, and it came out great.

On my JK I have Kings, though right now only in front, as I damaged both rears on the Rubicon. I have Rancho 9000s on the rear until I get the Kings repaired.
I can definitely tell the difference between front and rear when running fast and hard. And the longer I run hard, the more pronounced it gets, as the Ranchos fade far faster than the Kings, as you should expect.

If you run hard and fast over really rough stuff, get the Kings.
For daily driving and fire roads, save the $$ and get the Fox Bubba recommended, then add the brakes or whatever other goodies you want/need.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
I followed Bubba's recommendation on the Fox shocks with EVO springs on the JL build, and it came out great.

On my JK I have Kings, though right now only in front, as I damaged both rears on the Rubicon. I have Rancho 9000s on the rear until I get the Kings repaired.
I can definitely tell the difference between front and rear when running fast and hard. And the longer I run hard, the more pronounced it gets, as the Ranchos fade far faster than the Kings, as you should expect.

For daily driving and fire roads, save the $$ and get the Fox Bubba recommended, then add the brakes or whatever other goodies you want/need.

I may go to the Fox or Kings after this first set of Rancho 9000s wear out .

Leeboy03

For daily driving and fire roads, save the $$ and get the Fox Bubba recommended, then add the brakes or whatever other goodies you want

Thx, glad to hear from someone who has both. Which fox shocks did you go with?

A.J.

Hmm. So hypothetically if one was in a situation where it was time to buy springs and shocks would it also then be time to consider bolt on coil overs instead? Just thinking out loud. What would the cost vs performance comparison be to springs/kings vs bolt on EVO spec king coilover's be?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Leeboy03

Hmm. So hypothetically if one was in a situation where it was time to buy springs and shocks would it also then be time to consider bolt on coil overs instead? Just thinking out loud. What would the cost vs performance comparison be to springs/kings vs bolt on EVO spec king coilover's be?

It has crossed my mind but coil overs would be about double what springs/kings would cost

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
I’d go with the Pro Grips. My line of thought is that you’d more easily tell the difference between Pro Grips vs OEM than King vs Fox.

This is exactly my thinking. And it should be an easy choice but for some reason I keep circling back to the kings

I have the ranchos so no comment on fox / kings but the pro grips were night and day .. both helping to not rear end idiots that cut you off locally and helping to stop and better control tires on steep descents off road . Has allowed me to drive the Jeep normally versus defensively like I was before . Wife even commented on how it was night and day . Should have done it before I went 37s

Top Bottom