Bucket List Trails in Cali

Clutch

Caught the Bug
If you had just 7 days to wheel in California which trails would you choose. I’m thinking the Rubicon and Dusy Ershim (but maybe these are too similar to have both on the list) any other key trails that you’d add to the list. They don’t necessarily need to be the most challenging or well known, scenery is an important factor to me as well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MericaMade

If you had just 7 days to wheel in California which trails would you choose. I’m thinking the Rubicon and Dusy Ershim (but maybe these are too similar to have both on the list) any other key trails that you’d add to the list. They don’t necessarily need to be the most challenging or well known, scenery is an important factor to me as well.

I love Big Bear you have so many different options. If the trails there are not enough then you drive down the backside to KOH or Cougar Butts area.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug

There are so many amazing trails here in California. If you haven't done the Rubicon it's a must. As has already been stated Big Bear with John Bull, Gold Mountain, Holcomb Creek, Dishpan.
Theres also Mottino wash and Cougar Buttes near Big Bear. The list just goes on and on
For me, I want to do Fordyce and the Dusy in the Sierras.

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app
Jo

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Good question, nothing planned yet, but thinking July-Labor Day timeframe.

Dusty Ershim won’t be open early in the year, usually around august, and it would be far from top of the list for me if I didn’t live here. It’s long and exhausting.

Rubicon I would plan for sure. There is two jamborees during the summer and various other events you would have to work around. Nothing in the desert since it’ll be like lava in July there.

After rubicon I would probably shoot for a couple shorter day trip type trails. You would need to pick an area though since there is a lot. Do you want to stay near Tahoe? Yosemite? Los Angeles? Bay Area? It would depend.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL - if you only have 7 days to play and Rubicon is a must, please don’t waste your time with Big Bear. No offense intended to fans of Big Bear but really, it can’t hold a candle to anything up in the Sierra’s.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that you’d be out in the summer time, anything on Death Valley or the desert might be a no go. But, there are trails out there I would have recommended.

Do they have to be wheeling trails?

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
LOL - if you only have 7 days to play and Rubicon is a must, please don’t waste your time with Big Bear. No offense intended to fans of Big Bear but really, it can’t hold a candle to anything up in the Sierra’s.

What trails are must dos in the Sierras other than the Rubicon? Take a few trips to NorCal a year .. will plan one around wheeling next year

jesse3638

Hooked

Plus CA is big and you'd lose a whole day driving that far. Big bear is fun, but to me it's like an OHV park.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

MericaMade

Oh no he didn't...... but.........hes right Lol.

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Being that you’d be out in the summer time, anything on Death Valley or the desert might be a no go. But, there are trails out there I would have recommended.

Do they have to be wheeling trails?

We have family about an hour from Joshua Tree. Anything that you’d recommend that way?

Doesn’t have to be wheeling, we love hiking as well.

Thanks you, and everyone else for the input so far. Appreciate it!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We have family about an hour from Joshua Tree. Anything that you’d recommend that way?

Doesn’t have to be wheeling, we love hiking as well.

Thanks you, and everyone else for the input so far. Appreciate it!

So, here's the thing, you've got 7 days to play and the Rubicon will take up at least 2 of those days. Depending on when you get to the trailhead and what time you get off of it, you may already be out 3-4 of those days. Is heading down to the Joshua Tree area to visit family a must? If so, that will eat up a day as well and you're essentially out of time. You can still make it work so that you get to see stuff along the way but California is a big state and you need to plan things accordingly.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
So, here's the thing, you've got 7 days to play and the Rubicon will take up at least 2 of those days. Depending on when you get to the trailhead and what time you get off of it, you may already be out 3-4 of those days. Is heading down to the Joshua Tree area to visit family a must? If so, that will eat up a day as well and you're essentially out of time. You can still make it work so that you get to see stuff along the way but California is a big state and you need to plan things accordingly.

Oh, my bad. I assumed JT was near DV. No, I do not want to spend a day just traveling to see family on this trip (if they want to see us, I’ll make them to trek up to see us, haha).

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, my bad. I assumed JT was near DV. No, I do not want to spend a day just traveling to see family on this trip (if they want to see us, I’ll make them to trek up to see us, haha).

LOL - DV is epic in the summer time and worthy of a visit if only to see how crazy hot it can really get out there. That would definitely be a more realistic place to check out on your trip than JT which is clear down at the bottom of the state.

What I would highly recommend is that on the way down, you make a stop over at Bodie as it really is one of the finest examples of a ghost town anywhere.

If you've never been to Yosemite, that is a must as well. Crowded as all hell but worth seeing at least once.

DMF

Like Eddie said if you have time, Yosemite and if Tioga pass is open take that over to Bodie. Or other way around. Bodie is freaking awesome.

Top Bottom