Are evo King 2.0 spec worth it?

1.I'm trorn to spend so much on shocks but they seem to be future proof. Will be pairing them with Evo Plush springs. 3 at the monument but possibly to 4 inches

2. Has anyone rebuilt them on there own?

3. I do live in Midwest

Last edited:

MericaMade

1.I'm trorn to spend so much on shocks but they seem to be future proof. Will be pairing them with Evo Plush springs. 3 at the monument but possibly to 4 inches

2. Has anyone rebuilt them on there own?

3. I do live in Midwest

I would say as long as King or Evo valved them your good. I have the King valving and have zero complaints. The money spent is well worth it.

If I was going to go from a 3 inch lift to a 4 inch lift I would have to buy another set of shocks to accommodate for the lift height. So that's double the shocks I would end up buying.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I was going to go from a 3 inch lift to a 4 inch lift I would have to buy another set of shocks to accommodate for the lift height. So that's double the shocks I would end up buying.

Not necessarily. You could run shocks that were an inch short and all it would mean is that you'd get an inch less droop.

Another thing to consider is if you live in the rust belt, Kings would get trashed in the winter.

You could run shocks for the lift you may end up with down the road if you’re only talking an extra inch. There are considerations to take into account but running a slightly longer shock isn’t a huge deal. But as Eddie mentioned running one just a bit short is also not a big deal.

The rust is something to consider also as Eddie mentioned. Kings are premium shocks so you either trash them, become crazy particular about keeping them clean or go with something less expensive

Ok so rust is definitely a problem here in Illinois. So if I buy shocks for a 4 inch lift i shouldn't have any problems. Then I could also consider buying 4 inch for the front and 2.5 for the rear and get the evo rockstar skids and raise them up and out of the way. Also sorta confused cause I thought you should buy the springs for the lift. Nothing longer or shorter.

Ok so rust is definitely a problem here in Illinois. So if I buy shocks for a 4 inch lift i shouldn't have any problems. Then I could also consider buying 4 inch for the front and 2.5 for the rear and get the evo rockstar skids and raise them up and out of the way. Also sorta confused cause I thought you should buy the springs for the lift. Nothing longer or shorter.

You are correct in that you buy the springs for the correct lift. Most shock manufactures sell their shocks to accommodate a lift “range” like 2.5-3” or 4.5-6” etc. as an example fox offers specific lengths or lengths that fit into a range.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Living in a salt bath, I can attest to the damage salt does to the kings. I cleared all mine before I installed them, the fronts have held up well, but the rear did not. The clear was blasted off with in the first couple months and the main shock body has corroded. But, aside from the finish issues the kings have been great. I don’t bomb across the desert with them, but I do run a lot of gravel roads and dirt roads for miles and they made a huge difference for me.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Recurve

Living in a salt bath, I can attest to the damage salt does to the kings. I cleared all mine before I installed them, the fronts have held up well, but the rear did not. The clear was blasted off with in the first couple months and the main shock body has corroded. But, aside from the finish issues the kings have been great. I don’t bomb across the desert with them, but I do run a lot of gravel roads and dirt roads for miles and they made a huge difference for me.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Funny I literally did the same thing with my kings , hoping I could combat the rust . Nope salt ate up the clear pretty quick that rusted the crap out of the shocks with in the 1st winter.
Sucks seeing such pretty shocks get ugly fast.
I always felt they were popular for desert racers/crawlers, with that said they probably don’t get much complaints about rust.
If I lived in a dry climate , I would be all about Kings.
Sadly I live in salt infested slush every winter.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Thats what I was thinking about doing. Throwing a couple coats of clear on them and then wd40 them ever so often. That's what I do with the bumpers and underbody.

Ddays

Hooked
The only way to keep the aluminum in good shape would be to have them hard anodized - like the process that Bubba has done on his 7075 Tie rods. This alters the surface of the aluminum so that it will not corrode. We tried to have this done on my rear CO's I sent him for rebuilding but for some reason the coater he uses couldn't do it.
I would suspect that in order to have this done the shocks would have to be completely disassembled and the bare shock bodies and reservoirs would have to be sent. King does offer anodizing but I believe this is a cosmetic process that differs from the hard anodizing process.

desertrunner

Yes this is true but really it's all about the actual measurements of the sock. Making sure the spring doesn't come loose at full droop or your not collapsing the shock before bump stop or making the spring solid. For example I am running Evo 2" plush rides up front (on a 2dr) but I'm running a rancho shock that's listed for a 4" lift. But I cycled my suspension a ton and measured it out exactly what lengths I need and the 4" one fit..... So yes in theory you should buy shocks meant for the lift range you have but even a shock made for a 4" lift could work with a 3" lift as well as long as the measurements work out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom