Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Stuck in 2nd after axle swap

  1. #11
    Addict Ddays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Darlington, Pa
    Posts
    9,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble Woodsman View Post
    Ok I see. The JK automatics also have the manual shift feature, so i was wondering if the OP meant "stuck in second" in the manual mode.

    Since it is a true manual transmission with this issue, i am confused. Are there solenoids in the transmission to prevent the shifter or synchronizers from moving, even if the clutch pedal is depressed? I mean, what kind of electrical/mechanical component would be tied to the computer that could prevent shifting in a manual?

    I dont mean to hijack the thread, just trying to learn.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    He has an auto, not a manual.....
    https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...build-of-Gruff

    Gruff 2014 JKU Moneypit
    Badger 2019 JLUR waiting for scraps

  2. #12
    Resident Smartass OverlanderJK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    31,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble Woodsman View Post
    Ok I see. The JK automatics also have the manual shift feature, so i was wondering if the OP meant "stuck in second" in the manual mode.

    Since it is a true manual transmission with this issue, i am confused. Are there solenoids in the transmission to prevent the shifter or synchronizers from moving, even if the clutch pedal is depressed? I mean, what kind of electrical/mechanical component would be tied to the computer that could prevent shifting in a manual?

    I dont mean to hijack the thread, just trying to learn.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    He has an automatic. Not a manual. There is nothing in the manual that will prevent it from shifting. You donít need wheel speed sensors in a manual to be able to drive.


    Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

    2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37Ē Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5Ē Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

    2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40Ē Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

    1975 DJ5

  3. #13
    Hooked Noble Woodsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    He has an automatic. Not a manual. There is nothing in the manual that will prevent it from shifting. You donít need wheel speed sensors in a manual to be able to drive.


    Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    🤦*♂️ Ok that make WAY more sense.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

  4. #14
    Been Around the Block phillypete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    A quick fix would be killing all of the sensors by cutting the purple wire under the console & installing a switch. I just did this to my JK to get rid of the goddam TSC kicking in when I didn't want it to. You'll also kill the anti-lock brakes doing this so you have to weigh if it's worth it to you.
    I donít ABS will be much help considering the front wheels donít actually have speed sensors.

    Will this also get it out of creep mode?

  5. #15
    Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    1,761
    Quote Originally Posted by phillypete View Post

    Will this also get it out of creep mode?
    Thatís what theyíre trying to diagnose. If you cut that system it removes it from the equation. So if it starts working normally then you know thatís where your problem lies, if not you have to continue troubleshooting.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

  6. #16
    Old Timer bkac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Center of Oregon
    Posts
    3,858
    Question, did you set the ratio of 5.38 to 4.66 if you used the Ford front sensors. I didnít read the entire post so Iím not sure this was said but the tone rings are 60 vs 52 so you have to do the math to get the ratio correctly. And you must use an older flashcal that allows for manual entry. Hope this helps if not disregard


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    Not "living" but "loving" life always!

  7. #17
    Advertiser Exodus Jeeps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,309
    Quote Originally Posted by bkac View Post
    Question, did you set the ratio of 5.38 to 4.66 if you used the Ford front sensors. I didnít read the entire post so Iím not sure this was said but the tone rings are 60 vs 52 so you have to do the math to get the ratio correctly. And you must use an older flashcal that allows for manual entry. Hope this helps if not disregard


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    This could be the issue, but since he put all the sensors in the rear Iím assuming he went with 52 count rings instead of 60.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  8. #18
    Caught the Bug
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Posts
    52
    2012 and newer need to have a wheel speed sensor on each wheel. You can't simply put all 4 on the rear wheels. The ABS system sees the steering wheel turning and freaks out when the wheel speeds don't correspond.

  9. #19
    Old Timer bkac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Center of Oregon
    Posts
    3,858
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus Jeeps View Post
    This could be the issue, but since he put all the sensors in the rear Iím assuming he went with 52 count rings instead of 60.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Good point. He can get a good scanner and see if all four sensors are reading properly.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    Not "living" but "loving" life always!

  10. #20
    Been Around the Block phillypete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by Attenuator View Post
    2012 and newer need to have a wheel speed sensor on each wheel. You can't simply put all 4 on the rear wheels. The ABS system sees the steering wheel turning and freaks out when the wheel speeds don't correspond.
    That is exactly what this Artec kit does. I saw nothing in the documentation that it would not work on 2012+ vehicles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Axle Swap on EVO DTD JKU
    By Samuelh3 in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-09-2020, 03:30 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-21-2017, 04:26 PM
  3. Axle Swap Help
    By PGH08JK in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-09-2013, 08:44 PM
  4. Axle build or swap it? Help!
    By Hollowpoint515 in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-18-2013, 05:24 PM
  5. Should i do an axle swap?
    By SoCalDozer in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-06-2012, 07:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
ďwayoflifeĒ is a moniker that Iíve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS