Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuck in 2nd after axle swap

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Woodsman View Post
    Ok I see. The JK automatics also have the manual shift feature, so i was wondering if the OP meant "stuck in second" in the manual mode.

Since it is a true manual transmission with this issue, i am confused. Are there solenoids in the transmission to prevent the shifter or synchronizers from moving, even if the clutch pedal is depressed? I mean, what kind of electrical/mechanical component would be tied to the computer that could prevent shifting in a manual?

I dont mean to hijack the thread, just trying to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    He has an auto, not a manual.....
    https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...build-of-Gruff

Gruff 2014 JKU Moneypit
    Badger 2019 JLUR waiting for scraps

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Woodsman View Post
    Ok I see. The JK automatics also have the manual shift feature, so i was wondering if the OP meant "stuck in second" in the manual mode.

Since it is a true manual transmission with this issue, i am confused. Are there solenoids in the transmission to prevent the shifter or synchronizers from moving, even if the clutch pedal is depressed? I mean, what kind of electrical/mechanical component would be tied to the computer that could prevent shifting in a manual?

I dont mean to hijack the thread, just trying to learn.

He has an automatic. Not a manual. There is nothing in the manual that will prevent it from shifting. You donít need wheel speed sensors in a manual to be able to drive.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37Ē Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5Ē Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40Ē Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    He has an automatic. Not a manual. There is nothing in the manual that will prevent it from shifting. You donít need wheel speed sensors in a manual to be able to drive.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    🤦*♂️ Ok that make WAY more sense.

Been Around the Block phillypete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    A quick fix would be killing all of the sensors by cutting the purple wire under the console & installing a switch. I just did this to my JK to get rid of the goddam TSC kicking in when I didn't want it to. You'll also kill the anti-lock brakes doing this so you have to weigh if it's worth it to you.
    I donít ABS will be much help considering the front wheels donít actually have speed sensors.

Will this also get it out of creep mode?

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phillypete View Post

Will this also get it out of creep mode?
    Thatís what theyíre trying to diagnose. If you cut that system it removes it from the equation. So if it starts working normally then you know thatís where your problem lies, if not you have to continue troubleshooting.

Question, did you set the ratio of 5.38 to 4.66 if you used the Ford front sensors. I didnít read the entire post so Iím not sure this was said but the tone rings are 60 vs 52 so you have to do the math to get the ratio correctly. And you must use an older flashcal that allows for manual entry. Hope this helps if not disregard

Not "living" but "loving" life always!

Quote Originally Posted by bkac View Post
    Question, did you set the ratio of 5.38 to 4.66 if you used the Ford front sensors. I didnít read the entire post so Iím not sure this was said but the tone rings are 60 vs 52 so you have to do the math to get the ratio correctly. And you must use an older flashcal that allows for manual entry. Hope this helps if not disregard

This could be the issue, but since he put all the sensors in the rear Iím assuming he went with 52 count rings instead of 60.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Caught the Bug
    2012 and newer need to have a wheel speed sensor on each wheel. You can't simply put all 4 on the rear wheels. The ABS system sees the steering wheel turning and freaks out when the wheel speeds don't correspond.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus Jeeps View Post
    This could be the issue, but since he put all the sensors in the rear Iím assuming he went with 52 count rings instead of 60.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Good point. He can get a good scanner and see if all four sensors are reading properly.

Not "living" but "loving" life always!

Been Around the Block phillypete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Attenuator View Post
    2012 and newer need to have a wheel speed sensor on each wheel. You can't simply put all 4 on the rear wheels. The ABS system sees the steering wheel turning and freaks out when the wheel speeds don't correspond.
    That is exactly what this Artec kit does. I saw nothing in the documentation that it would not work on 2012+ vehicles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast