Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuck in 2nd after axle swap

Been Around the Block phillypete's Avatar

Stuck in 2nd after axle swap

My 2013 JK is currently sitting at a local offroad shop stuck in 2nd gear. It was there for them to finish up the Junkyard Axle Swap project I started over a year ago.

The story goes that initially they got everything buttoned up but attempted to drive it prior to having all the ABS sensors hooked up. This is when the Jeep initially got stuck in 2nd.

They got the sensors all wired in, ran the tuner program for new gears and tires but still wouldn’t get out of second.

Next I suggested taking it over to the local dealership to have the ECU flashed back to stock and re-run the gear and tire program. Still stuck in 2nd.

The shop has no clue what to try next and neither do I. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Just a shot in the dark but did you reuse the old wheel speed sensors?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
    Just a shot in the dark but did you reuse the old wheel speed sensors?
    Two of the four were reused. The front ones were replaced to fit two sensors on each rear wheel. This is an Artec Axle Kit where all four sensors go on the rear wheels.

Is this a manual transmission? An automatic tranny should not even start unless it's in park or neutral due to the NSS. If it's an auto, there is a slotted hole on the base plate of the shifter where you can insert a screwdriver to release a jammed shifter. Not sure about a manual.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Woodsman View Post
    Is this a manual transmission? An automatic tranny should not even start unless it's in park or neutral due to the NSS. If it's an auto, there is a slotted hole on the base plate of the shifter where you can insert a screwdriver to release a jammed shifter. Not sure about a manual.

He is saying it’s stuck in second gear, not that it’s stuck in drive.

RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37” Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5” Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40” Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

You’re jeep should work if it’s got missing wheel speed sensors. It will go into limp mode. Not sure how they drove it without them installed. I would guess your gap at your tone ring is not accurately. Have they tried pulling a code? Sometimes it’s specific as to which one. The gap on the tone ring needs to be very specific. That’s where I would start.

RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37” Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5” Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40” Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    You’re jeep should work if it’s got missing wheel speed sensors. It will go into limp mode. Not sure how they drove it without them installed. I would guess your gap at your tone ring is not accurately. Have they tried pulling a code? Sometimes it’s specific as to which one. The gap on the tone ring needs to be very specific. That’s where I would start.

The mechanic didn’t mention the specific codes, but he did say all 4 speed sensors were reading the same when hooked up to the scanner, but yet I still have the traction control and ETS lights on the dash.

Quote Originally Posted by phillypete View Post
    My 2013 JK is currently sitting at a local offroad shop stuck in 2nd gear. It was there for them to finish up the Junkyard Axle Swap project I started over a year ago.

The story goes that initially they got everything buttoned up but attempted to drive it prior to having all the ABS sensors hooked up. This is when the Jeep initially got stuck in 2nd.

They got the sensors all wired in, ran the tuner program for new gears and tires but still wouldn’t get out of second.

Next I suggested taking it over to the local dealership to have the ECU flashed back to stock and re-run the gear and tire program. Still stuck in 2nd.

The shop has no clue what to try next and neither do I. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    what tuner did they use to program with? Did they put the tune to stock using the tuner then disconnect the battery to reset the ECU then try the tune again?

having the dealer flash the ECU might have bricked the tuner so it won't take the tune?

I had a similar issue when I changed tire sizes and the tune failed to take, had the transmission removed for rebuild but when tested it checked out fine.

Steps I took to reset the ECU after I used the tuner to reprogram to stock:

1. Disconnect the battery by removing the positive battery cable. Remember, the positive battery cable.

2. Ground the positive cable to the negative cable for 30 seconds to erase the electric charge in the capacitors. - or let the Jeep sit for 20 minutes to let the capacitors discharge

3. Reconnect the positive cable to the battery.

4. Turn the key to on but do not start.

5. Turn the headlights on.

6. Turn the headlights off.

7. Turn the key off.

A quick fix would be killing all of the sensors by cutting the purple wire under the console & installing a switch. I just did this to my JK to get rid of the goddam TSC kicking in when I didn't want it to. You'll also kill the anti-lock brakes doing this so you have to weigh if it's worth it to you.
    Last edited by Ddays; 12-04-2019 at 02:53 AM.
    https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...build-of-Gruff

Gruff 2014 JKU Moneypit
    Badger 2019 JLUR waiting for scraps

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    He is saying it’s stuck in second gear, not that it’s stuck in drive.

Ok I see. The JK automatics also have the manual shift feature, so i was wondering if the OP meant "stuck in second" in the manual mode.

Since it is a true manual transmission with this issue, i am confused. Are there solenoids in the transmission to prevent the shifter or synchronizers from moving, even if the clutch pedal is depressed? I mean, what kind of electrical/mechanical component would be tied to the computer that could prevent shifting in a manual?

I dont mean to hijack the thread, just trying to learn.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast