Sounds like a Ping-Pong ball in my steering wheel!

Charlie314

I hate to post this, but I can't find anything, so here goes:
I have a 2018 JLUR, all stock, 3.6L, Hard Top, about 24K miles. A couple weeks ago after the temps dropped, I noticed an annoying sound coming from the steering wheel, or steering column. Every once in a while, it sounds like a ping pong ball bouncing! It's really annoying. It happens when I go over little bumps and irregularities in the road. Usually during city/suburban driving. Turning the wheel doesn't induce the noise. Only small bumps. Banging on the steering wheel/column will not induce the noise. Windows up, heater on, radio on or off, I hear this ping pong ball bouncing in the steering wheel. It's the only rattle I have in this Jeep! Does anyone else have this going on? Does anyone have a clue what I might be hearing? It doesn't sound like it's under the dash. Any ideas what I should check/look at? I don't think a ping pong ball will fit in the steering wheel!
Thanks for reading.

---Charlie

jeeeep

Hooked
I'd take it to the dealer but would also look for any cracked/broken welds on the front and rear control arm brackets, track bar bracket.

Check the trackbar bolt torque, loosen them to relieve any binding then tighten.

Noises like that can travel up from any part of the Jeep.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, so I have a really annoying sound coming from the steering wheel on my JT but it doesn't sound like ping pong balls. More like, hands rubbing on a latex balloon and only when turning it. Sorry, I know it's not the same thing but I thought I should put it out there just in case someone else has a solution for this. At this rate, I may just have to take it in to the dealership as it sounds like it's coming from inside the steering column as well.

WJCO

Meme King
Okay, so I have a really annoying sound coming from the steering wheel on my JT but it doesn't sound like ping pong balls. More like, hands rubbing on a latex balloon and only when turning it. Sorry, I know it's not the same thing but I thought I should put it out there just in case someone else has a solution for this. At this rate, I may just have to take it in to the dealership as it sounds like it's coming from inside the steering column as well.

Ours has done that a few times. Comes and goes. Seems to only do it when we first drive it after sitting.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ours has done that a few times. Comes and goes. Seems to only do it when we first drive it after sitting.

No kidding? Okay, so I'm not the only one. Over time, it seems to have gotten worse and does it all the time now. It's really annoying and I've looked hard to find it. Where I hear it loudest and feel it vibrating the most is from the steering column and right behind the dash. Closer to the firewall and there is no vibration.

WJCO

Meme King
No kidding? Okay, so I'm not the only one. Over time, it seems to have gotten worse and does it all the time now. It's really annoying and I've looked hard to find it. Where I hear it loudest and feel it vibrating the most is from the steering column and right behind the dash. Closer to the firewall and there is no vibration.

To be honest ours has done it maybe 3 times or so, so I haven't paid much attention to it. It will occur when pulling out of the driveway after sitting for a day or so. And it goes away by the time we make a turn or two. But it sounds exactly like you described it.

No ping pong ball sounds though, sorry.

desertrunner

Might be un related to your Jeep issue but my F150 has a ping pong bouncing sound from time to time when it's real cold out in the steering wheel when I turn it. I notice it most in parking lots. It's done it for 2 winter's now and doesn't seem to affect anything other than be a little annoying.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked

My JKs done the same thing and it comes and goes. It’s fun, you can annoy your kids with and play a little song while sitting at a stop light.

But seriously, no idea what causes it. Had the dealership look into it it and they told me it was the vinyl seal behind the airbag. Who knows if that’s true.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

JKbrick

I had a coin in the dash of my work truck 2 trucks ago and by turning quick I could get it from one side to the other, finally got so annoying I bought a new truck

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
I’d take it for a drive and have someone really listen for where it’s coming from. Wheel or further down. Can you feel anything when it happens or is it just a sound?

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
I’d take it for a drive and have someone really listen for where it’s coming from. Wheel or further down. Can you feel anything when it happens or is it just a sound?

Charlie314

Maybe it's a nut loose behind the wheel 🤣

Sorry, i couldnt resist.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

I was wondering what took so long!

I honestly don't feel anything when the noise happens. I tried driving with the windows down last night, and I didn't hear anything (from outside) when the ping pong ball started bouncing. It mostly happens at lower speeds, 15-45.
I'll get my wife to listen for it and see if she can locate it. This will be fun! Usually she hits me up with "My car is making a noise..." :D:D:D

Charlie314

I'd take it to the dealer but would also look for any cracked/broken welds on the front and rear control arm brackets, track bar bracket.

Check the trackbar bolt torque, loosen them to relieve any binding then tighten.

Noises like that can travel up from any part of the Jeep.

ARGH!!! I hate the thought of taking it to the dealer. The one I bought my Jeep from is all the way on the other side of town. The one closest to me, I wouldn't let them put gas in my tank! I'll do some checking. I'll take a look under the Jeep and see if I find anything loose or broken. Thanks!

Might be un related to your Jeep issue but my F150 has a ping pong bouncing sound from time to time when it's real cold out in the steering wheel when I turn it. I notice it most in parking lots. It's done it for 2 winter's now and doesn't seem to affect anything other than be a little annoying.

Really? Wow, I wasn't sure there was anyone out here with ping pong balls in the steering wheel! Misery loves company :yup: Yeah, so far, it's just an annoyance. Maybe I should just turn the stereo up! Oooh-WAH-AH-AH-AH!!! :rock:

Jsouder53

Hooked

Is it a single pop and do you feel it? Or is it just the noise? When it’s cold out making slow turns I occasionally get a pop which I can feel. I’m pretty sure it’s frozen moisture in the sway bar at the frame bushings not allowing the sway bar to fully move. I’m not completely sure but that’s what I’ve come to think it is.

Charlie314

I got into the steering wheel yesterday. I did a lot of "research" and found that the JL is a lot like the JK, only there are these little covers over the bolts that hold things together on the steering wheel, A small (instrument) flat blade screw driver in the divot, levering against my finger opens them up nicely, to reveal the bolts that secure the air bag. I didn't remove the air bag because I wasn't sure how or which connectors came undone. But I did check it out under the air bag, and the sound the plastic bracket made underneath, the clock spring, is the sound I've been hearing. It's the clockspring making the noise. Now Mopar doesn't call it the clockspring anymore. It looks like they are calling out the Multi-function switch as the clockspring in the JL.. And Mine is $415! So I guess I'll be making an appointment with the dealer to take it in for a warranty repair.
It has to be the clockspring. It's the only part there that makes that noise.

--Charlie

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I got into the steering wheel yesterday. I did a lot of "research" and found that the JL is a lot like the JK, only there are these little covers over the bolts that hold things together on the steering wheel, A small (instrument) flat blade screw driver in the divot, levering against my finger opens them up nicely, to reveal the bolts that secure the air bag. I didn't remove the air bag because I wasn't sure how or which connectors came undone. But I did check it out under the air bag, and the sound the plastic bracket made underneath, the clock spring, is the sound I've been hearing. It's the clockspring making the noise. Now Mopar doesn't call it the clockspring anymore. It looks like they are calling out the Multi-function switch as the clockspring in the JL.. And Mine is $415! So I guess I'll be making an appointment with the dealer to take it in for a warranty repair.
It has to be the clockspring. It's the only part there that makes that noise.

--Charlie

Glad to hear that you have some idea! Hopefully the dealer resolves this for you

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom