Opinion on rcv axles

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I found a jeep I'm interested in and I never researched these axles but I've heard many people are not fond of them. Just interested in hearing if I should stay away. If they do have issues I'm assuming they won't carry any warranty since I'm not the original purchaser?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Funny, I've always found there are a TON of fanboys out there who love them. They're strong axle shafts but I hardly think they're worth the $400 premium. Also, they will start to snap and pop loudly after hard use and RCV will tell you that it's totally normal. As in, they will NOT warranty it. Heck, they won't even warranty twisted splines so you won't be losing anything there.

wjtstudios

Hooked
After our Windrock run, my passenger side started the popping. It’s annoying as hell. You can order a rebuild kit for them, but like Eddie said, it’s considered normal for RCVs to do that.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Braxtonsag

i was in the same boat as you and ended up going with ten factory chromoly shafts. no complaints at all. carbon warranties their shafts for like 15 years as well.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
As Eddie mentioned, their warranty isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. I broke one long side rcv shaft in my ‘08 JKU. They replaced it. Not long after the cage exploded on the other shaft. I had to pay to have it repaired. They said it happened because I was too heavy on the throttle with the wheels turned ( I was climbing straight up a dry waterfall in Florence Junction, AZ when it happened). A few months after that I had the shafts out to do oil seals on the front diff. I found the shirt side shaft twisted at the splines. They wouldn’t warranty it either. I couldn’t get it back into the axle because the splines were twisted so bad. I had to pay for a replacement. They gave me a discount though, because they are such nice guys with such great customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

fiend

Caught the Bug
As Eddie mentioned, their warranty isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. I broke one long side rcv shaft in my ‘08 JKU. They replaced it. Not long after the cage exploded on the other shaft. I had to pay to have it repaired. They said it happened because I was too heavy on the throttle with the wheels turned ( I was climbing straight up a dry waterfall in Florence Junction, AZ when it happened). A few months after that I had the shafts out to do oil seals on the front diff. I found the shirt side shaft twisted at the splines. They wouldn’t warranty it either. I couldn’t get it back into the axle because the splines were twisted so bad. I had to pay for a replacement. They gave me a discount though, because they are such nice guys with such great customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Those sound like exactly the kinds of things that should be covered under warranty. Especially for the price premium.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Guess I'm not really losing anything by buying the Jeep but I'd probably go with a different option if they break. Thanks for the input

Guess I'm not really losing anything by buying the Jeep but I'd probably go with a different option if they break. Thanks for the input

Just now catching up on this thread but sounds like some good input above. Worse case, buy the Jeep and start stashing for new shafts in the event the RCV shafts break or start to get on your nerves enough to replace them.

Braxtonsag

that's extremely mind boggling that they're even still in business with bad business practice like that. you don't charge your customers double the competitors and fuck them on their warranty

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

You just can't make this shit up. Pretty sad.

that's extremely mind boggling that they're even still in business with bad business practice like that. you don't charge your customers double the competitors and fuck them on their warranty

When you've got vocal fanboys singing praises for you, anything is possible.

Braxtonsag

You just can't make this shit up. Pretty sad.

When you've got vocal fanboys singing praises for you, anything is possible.

Lord knows that’s the truth, I’ll never understand how these throttle controller companies are a successful business either. :doh: different strokes I guess

Top Bottom