Rear seat outboard headrest removal how to

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I love my Gladiator, but one of the things it isn’t so great at is having high back child car seats in the back seat. The rear seat headrests protrude pretty far forward, pushing the child seats forward. They also make connecting the tether strap a challenge. I have three across car seats in my JT. The middle seat is not an issue as the center head rest is easily removed by pushing a button and pulling up. The outboard seats though require some minor work to remove, but overall it’s very easy.

Attached are the Mopar directions for disassembly of the seat and head rests.

Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

Overall this took me maybe 10 minutes to remove the headrests and neatly put the seat back foam back in place and close the zippers back up.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:

Whitarmy

Good to know. I am planning to get a JT soon cause I hate putting car seats in my 2DR, have needs for a small truck, and have a 3rd on the way.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Good to know. I am planning to get a JT soon cause I hate putting car seats in my 2DR, have needs for a small truck, and have a 3rd on the way.

The JT is great with kids. I have three fwd facing Diono Radian seats in the back of my JT. My kids are 7, 4, and 2. They all fit great back there. Especially now that I have removed the outboard head rests. I'm 6'3" and my 4 year old son has plenty of room behind my seat.

WJCO

Meme King
The JT is great with kids. I have three fwd facing Diono Radian seats in the back of my JT. My kids are 7, 4, and 2. They all fit great back there. Especially now that I have removed the outboard head rests. I'm 6'3" and my 4 year old son has plenty of room behind my seat.

Were you able to get the middle car seat in well with the way the buckles stick up through the seat bottom? We're still working on a solution for that. We're trying to find a car seat that actually will go between the buckles but no luck yet. We'll use buckle extenders if we have to.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Were you able to get the middle car seat in well with the way the buckles stick up through the seat bottom? We're still working on a solution for that. We're trying to find a car seat that actually will go between the buckles but no luck yet. We'll use buckle extenders if we have to.

It was close, but the Diono Radian seats are marketed as a narrow seat that can fit three across. It's 17" or 17.5" wide, not sure which one. It fit. I put the passenger seat in first, then the center seat, then the driver side seat. I did't use any buckle extenders.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
It was close, but the Diono Radian seats are marketed as a narrow seat that can fit three across. It's 17" or 17.5" wide, not sure which one. It fit. I put the passenger seat in first, then the center seat, then the driver side seat. I did't use any buckle extenders.

I'll echo this. I regularly fit 3 kids in the back of my JK. It's tight and you'll bust your knuckles dealing withe the buckles if you have big hands but they all fit safely.

I've just been dealing with the headrest issue. I can still get the seats cinched down tight. But been meaning to look at how to get rid of them or fold them down.

Top Bottom