Weld Pumpkin to Tubes?

Just dropped of my rear dana 44 into the shop to have 5.13, arb 35 spline and 35 spline shaves installed. The guy suggested to weld the pumpkin to the tubes for 150 ? worth it?

fiend

Caught the Bug
Make sure the shop has experience with that. Welding cast is tricky. They need to preheat it and then slow cool it with blankets etc over hours. Done incorrectly, the cast will crack and you’ll need a new housing.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yea id do it if you’re already paying somebody to work on it, it’s worth another 150 to have welded tubes. I was wheeling with a kid the other day who spun his rear D44 on 38s at the foot of Cleveland rock as he was trying to bump his way up. Didn’t look like he was going too hard in the video he showed me, so I guess it doesn’t take much with that extra rotational mass...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

I would have them do it. If you search around on Youtube, you'll find some video evidence of the plug welds failing with 37's. I had mine done this summer before jumping to 37's.

It is not trivial to do this kind of weld, so definitely ask the shop what their process is. A hobbyist welder friend of mine gave me the following advice when I was getting my D44 tubes welded:
  • Make sure the weight of the Jeep is not on the axle (support the Jeep on the frame). The welding procedure will heat treat the steel. If done with the weight on the welded pieces, the heat treatment can weaken those pieces (with the weight off, it should be stronger). This will also help prevent bending the tubes while welding.
  • Do it with the diff open and empty of oil. You don't want to burn or evaporate any of that stuff.
  • Do the weld in small sections to avoid warping from too much heat.
  • Generous application of heat was also suggested, but I can't remember the reasoning behind it. Probably more heat treating nuance.

This was from a hobbyist, not a professional, but I trust his work and his advice. If the shop has a different process, ask them to justify it. It's possible that they have a more refined process, but if they sound like they don't know what they're doing then don't trust 'em.

Yes so I just dropped off the axle so it's not on the jeep .So I talked to them and they going to do it with nothing in the axle and they said they put the axle intro a jig and have a machine do the welding. Witch makes me believe that they know what they are doing. All they do is drive line stuff like transfer cases, drive shafts and axles. Looking at there website more they seem to work on or build monster trucks.
http://www.suburbandriveline.com/

JKbrick

Yes so I just dropped off the axle so it's not on the jeep .So I talked to them and they going to do it with nothing in the axle and they said they put the axle intro a jig and have a machine do the welding. Witch makes me believe that they know what they are doing. All they do is drive line stuff like transfer cases, drive shafts and axles. Looking at there website more they seem to work on or build monster trucks.
http://www.suburbandriveline.com/

Post up pics when it’s done

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Just dropped of my rear dana 44 into the shop to have 5.13, arb 35 spline and 35 spline shaves installed. The guy suggested to weld the pumpkin to the tubes for 150 ? worth it?

I don't understand the benefit of this but I'd love to know what kind of welder he uses to achieve this.

s-l1600.jpg

Top Bottom