Painting powder coat

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Ok DIY gurus, can I spray self etching primer over existing powder coat and then paint the primer?

I bought wheels with rock rings that were powder coated black from the manufacturer. Can I simply prime and paint them as they are, or must I have the manufacturer’s powder coat blasted first (in which case I’d probably just spend the extra money to have the new color powder coated.)

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
Ok DIY gurus, can I spray self etching primer over existing powder coat and then paint the primer?

I bought wheels with rock rings that were powder coated black from the manufacturer. Can I simply prime and paint them as they are, or must I have the manufacturer’s powder coat blasted first (in which case I’d probably just spend the extra money to have the new color powder coated.)

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I don’t see why you couldn’t although you’ll want to scuff the surface with some scotch pad or sandpaper to promote adhesion.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Still have to prep surface. Not just spray etch primer. How much is it to get new color powdered? Hold up a hell of a lot better than spray paints.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Still have to prep surface. Not just spray etch primer. How much is it to get new color powdered? Hold up a hell of a lot better than spray paints.

$150 for five rings.

Prep in what way (besides light sanding and etch primer)?

I know color powder coat will hold up better (and I may still go that route), but once they scratch or get chipped there isn’t much you can do besides blast and recoat. That’s the main reason I was considering going the spray can route.

I don’t know shit about paint though (obviously) so I’m just trying to figure out what makes the most sense.

Last edited:

CalSgt

Hooked
I don’t see why you couldn’t although you’ll want to scuff the surface with some scotch pad or sandpaper to promote adhesion.

This... Also Etching primer is typically used when coating bare aluminum and probably won't be needed.

Krylon Fusion is a decent spay paint that seems to adhere to everything pretty well without needing a separate primer.

fiend

Caught the Bug
This... Also Etching primer is typically used when coating bare aluminum and probably won't be needed.

Krylon Fusion is a decent spay paint that seems to adhere to everything pretty well without needing a separate primer.

I’ve had pretty good results with Duplicolor spray paint. The spray nozzle seems to lay the paint more evenly and with less volume compared to Krylon, Rustoleum, and some other brands I’ve tried. That cuts down on overly heavy coats, dripping and pooling, etc.

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
My only advice would be to take it to bare metal. I know when prepping to PowderCoat everything has to be really clean. Wish I lived closer my system is almost ready. I would be able to help you.
59762907390__22DB472D-ED1E-4E57-9BAC-ADDC22CC23EF.jpg

rockwell

$150 for five rings.

I know color powder coat will hold up better (and I may still go that route), but once they scratch or get chipped there isn’t much you can do besides blast and recoat. That’s the main reason I was considering going the spray can route.

I don’t know shit about paint though (obviously) so I’m just trying to figure out what makes the most sense.

I spray paint over the scratches on my powder coated skids and rails no problem. Even if it didn’t adhere to the powder coating (it does) it would still coat and protect the exposed metal of the scratch. I think you are over thinking this.

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
$150 for all five would be no brainer for me. That way you can spend more time on other things instead of watching paint dry.

All you need to do is scuff up the surface, wipe down with a rag with some paint thinner then repaint. No need to primer again if no bare metal is showing. We do it everyday here at my work. We have some customers that spec us to paint over the powder for extra coverage.

jeeeep

Hooked
I've been spraying the scuff marks on my rails using VHT rollbar.chasis satin black, self priming.

Only prep I do is wash, unless it's chipped to the metal and then i'll use a small wire wheel in a drill to get the rust off

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Thanks to all for the comments. Seems like there is some consensus to give the rattle can a shot. I think I'll go in that direction and see what happens. If the first one looks like crap then I'll just get them all recoated. :thumb:

$150 for five rings.

All you need to do is scuff up the surface, wipe down with a rag with some paint thinner then repaint. No need to primer again if no bare metal is showing. We do it everyday here at my work. We have some customers that spec us to paint over the powder for extra coverage.
What he said.
It sounds like you want a good quality finish on them however. So don’t buy Home Depot spray paint. Go to an actual paint supply store that mix automotive finishes and get a base coat and a clear coat in spray cans. It’s more expensive but it’s completely different then “rattle can” and if you want you can match your paint code perfectly.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
So after all that, I opened the box and the “rash” rings that come with the wheels are thick plastic, not powder coat. Their true beadlock ring is extra. So, I scuffed the plastic, cleaned it, and I’ll see how it paints up.

IMG_5451.jpg

Wait they’re plastic? Will that even be strong enough to hold 30psi? This confuses me.

jdofmemi

Wait they’re plastic? Will that even be strong enough to hold 30psi? This confuses me.

Those are fake rings. The tire mounts to a bead, like a normal wheel, then the ring is for looks.

Some wheels like this are dual use, and can be used with a real ring and the bead on the outside to make it a true beadlock

Top Bottom