Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Painting powder coat

Painting powder coat

Ok DIY gurus, can I spray self etching primer over existing powder coat and then paint the primer?

I bought wheels with rock rings that were powder coated black from the manufacturer. Can I simply prime and paint them as they are, or must I have the manufacturerís powder coat blasted first (in which case Iíd probably just spend the extra money to have the new color powder coated.)

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Interested as well. But if not, you can use that Airplane Paint remover stuff, it will take anything off with not much elbow grease.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    Ok DIY gurus, can I spray self etching primer over existing powder coat and then paint the primer?

I bought wheels with rock rings that were powder coated black from the manufacturer. Can I simply prime and paint them as they are, or must I have the manufacturerís powder coat blasted first (in which case Iíd probably just spend the extra money to have the new color powder coated.)

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    I donít see why you couldnít although youíll want to scuff the surface with some scotch pad or sandpaper to promote adhesion.

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    Still have to prep surface. Not just spray etch primer. How much is it to get new color powdered? Hold up a hell of a lot better than spray paints.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Painting powder coat

Quote Originally Posted by Snboarder113 View Post
    Still have to prep surface. Not just spray etch primer. How much is it to get new color powdered? Hold up a hell of a lot better than spray paints.

$150 for five rings.

Prep in what way (besides light sanding and etch primer)?

I know color powder coat will hold up better (and I may still go that route), but once they scratch or get chipped there isnít much you can do besides blast and recoat. Thatís the main reason I was considering going the spray can route.

I donít know shit about paint though (obviously) so Iím just trying to figure out what makes the most sense.

Last edited by Sharkey; 12-11-2019 at 03:42 AM.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    I donít see why you couldnít although youíll want to scuff the surface with some scotch pad or sandpaper to promote adhesion.

This... Also Etching primer is typically used when coating bare aluminum and probably won't be needed.

Krylon Fusion is a decent spay paint that seems to adhere to everything pretty well without needing a separate primer.

Quote Originally Posted by CalSgt View Post
    This... Also Etching primer is typically used when coating bare aluminum and probably won't be needed.

Krylon Fusion is a decent spay paint that seems to adhere to everything pretty well without needing a separate primer.
    Iíve had pretty good results with Duplicolor spray paint. The spray nozzle seems to lay the paint more evenly and with less volume compared to Krylon, Rustoleum, and some other brands Iíve tried. That cuts down on overly heavy coats, dripping and pooling, etc.

My only advice would be to take it to bare metal. I know when prepping to PowderCoat everything has to be really clean. Wish I lived closer my system is almost ready. I would be able to help you.
    59762907390__22DB472D-ED1E-4E57-9BAC-ADDC22CC23EF.jpg

2016 JKU

Hooked
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    $150 for five rings.

Prep in what way (besides light sanding and etch primer)?

I know color powder coat will hold up better (and I may still go that route), but once they scratch or get chipped there isnít much you can do besides blast and recoat. Thatís the main reason I was considering going the spray can route.

I donít know shit about paint though (obviously) so Iím just trying to figure out what makes the most sense.

I spray paint over the scratches on my powder coated skids and rails no problem. Even if it didnít adhere to the powder coating (it does) it would still coat and protect the exposed metal of the scratch. I think you are over thinking this.

$150 for all five would be no brainer for me. That way you can spend more time on other things instead of watching paint dry.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast