37s on a Gladiator Rubicon with 6spd manual

bonedoc

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with how a Gladiator Rubicon with the 6spd manual and 4.10 rears handles 37s? I have a JKU with the 6spd and the manual always seemed more forgiving then the auto with larger tires but recently was told by someone that the new 6spd is geared differently. That because of those changes it would be miserable with the 37s. I would likely regear in the future but was hoping that the 4.10s of the Rubicon and peppier 3.6L would buy me some time.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would HIGHLY recommend AGAINST a manual on a JT if you're planning on running larger tires. Unlike the JK before, there's a whole process you need to do just to get the computer to recognize them and not give you any errors. While it will feel similar to a JK, it won't have the awesome power that you will feel with an 8-speed automatic. You literally will not need to regear with the auto if you have 4.10 gears.

bonedoc

I would HIGHLY recommend AGAINST a manual on a JT if you're planning on running larger tires. Unlike the JK before, there's a whole process you need to do just to get the computer to recognize them and not give you any errors. While it will feel similar to a JK, it won't have the awesome power that you will feel with an 8-speed automatic. You literally will not need to regear with the auto if you have 4.10 gears.

Wow...okay. Not sure if I can update my order as I already ordered it but when I last checked status it was still waiting to be scheduled for build. I'll see if I can update or change that.

WJCO

Meme King
I'm curious if anyone has any experience with how a Gladiator Rubicon with the 6spd manual and 4.10 rears handles 37s? I have a JKU with the 6spd and the manual always seemed more forgiving then the auto with larger tires but recently was told by someone that the new 6spd is geared differently. That because of those changes it would be miserable with the 37s. I would likely regear in the future but was hoping that the 4.10s of the Rubicon and peppier 3.6L would buy me some time.

I've got no experience with the manual nor 37s on the JT, but I have the automatic with 4.10s and can't say enough good things about it. There's no way I'd go to a manual after experiencing this new powertrain.

WJCO

Meme King

bonedoc

I doubt it but check with your salesman as well as Jeep Chat. Pretty sure you'll have to pay more for the automatic as well.

For Jeep Chat, click the link below, then click the Live Chat link:

https://fcacommunity.force.com/Jeep/s/article/How-do-I-contact-Jeep2

I know it will cost more. really enjoy the manual but want performance as well. Just confirmed through chat that my ordercan still be updated at this point. Have to call the dealership.

bonedoc

Okay...waiting to hear back from the dealership. Chat said it should be updatable since the vehicle is not even scheduled yet to be built. Contacted the dealership and gave them all the info. They are going to call Jeep asap to get it updated. They said they will call me once they know. Keeping my fingers crossed. Hoping I caught this in time.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a manual guy. Grew up driving them and they're what I know how to wheel best. That being said, there's just no comparison to the all new 8-speed auto. It really is that much better or at least, in terms of power. You'll make up the money difference just by not needing to regear.

bonedoc

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a manual guy. Grew up driving them and they're what I know how to wheel best. That being said, there's just no comparison to the all new 8-speed auto. It really is that much better or at least, in terms of power. You'll make up the money difference just by not needing to regear.

Thank you very much for your insight. I never even gave it a second thought. Figured...okay. My 6spd in my JKU has been great. Would go that route. Especially since I love having a manual and prefer that. All parties involved here sound very confident that the change could be done with no issues. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I want to drive both of these and see the difference side by side. If it’s as awesome as everyone says it is the manual is going to be a thing of the past in a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

bonedoc

I want to drive both of these and see the difference side by side. If it’s as awesome as everyone says it is the manual is going to be a thing of the past in a few years.

It appears that way. Many manufacturers have already done away with them completely

fiend

Caught the Bug
I saw an online article in the past couple of months, maybe in Motortrend, comparing the Gladiator, the Ford Ranger, and a third truck (forgot which one). They liked the Gladiator but specifically commented that the manual transmission was ill suited to the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Everyone already hit all the major points on why the auto is way better than the manual in the JL and JT. On the manual transmission 1st gear is slightly lower than 1st on the auto, but after that the ratios are pretty tall with a wide spread, which will make it sluggish without a re-gear. On top of that, 4 gear is 1:1 ratio in the manual, where the 8 speed auto has 6th gear as the 1:1 direct ratio. You have two extra gears between 1st and the direct drive gear to help keep the engine in its power band. the 1st overdrive gear (7th gear) is also lower on the 8 speed when compared to the first overdrive on the manual (5th), again helping to keep the engine in its power band. Here are the JL ratios, I'm assuming the JT ratios are the same.

8 speed auto:

1st - 4.71
2nd - 3.13
3rd - 2.10
4th - 1.67
5th - 1.28
6th - 1.00
7th - 0.84
8th - 0.67

6 speed manual:

1st - 5.13
2nd - 2.63
3rd - 1.53
4th - 1.00
5th - 0.81
6th - 0.72

Plus the 8 speed auto shifts lightning fast. I get the whole driving experience thing with the manual, but nobody can shift a manual as fast the the 8 speed auto shifts itself. I test drove a manual Sport JT, only because it was the first one on my local dealer's lot. It cannot compare to the driving experience of my 8 speed auto JT Rubicon. It's a night and day difference. The manual just didnt have the pep the 8 speed has.

Ddays

Hooked
I wish some one would come up with a retro kit to put the 8sp auto in a JK. It would be like a whole new vehicle with it in place of the 5sp....

bonedoc

Just heard back from the dealership. They contacted their Chrysler rep. Chrysler rep said he could not change it but they are elevating it to higher levels. Bottomline, the change should be able to be done but it takes a higher level...and pay grade. I will know by tonight or tomorrow.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

At least in America. In Canada and foreign markets, they still sell. If I recall, manuals only make up 3% of all sales.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just heard back from the dealership. They contacted their Chrysler rep. Chrysler rep said he could not change it but they are elevating it to higher levels. Bottomline, the change should be able to be done but it takes a higher level...and pay grade. I will know by tonight or tomorrow.

It can be done. I've ordered a 2-door in the past and essentially walked away from it to buy a 4-door.

8 speed auto:

1st - 4.71
2nd - 3.13
3rd - 2.10
4th - 1.67
5th - 1.28
6th - 1.00
7th - 0.84
8th - 0.67

6 speed manual:

1st - 5.13
2nd - 2.63
3rd - 1.53
4th - 1.00
5th - 0.81
6th - 0.72

Plus the 8 speed auto shifts lightning fast. I get the whole driving experience thing with the manual, but nobody can shift a manual as fast the the 8 speed auto shifts itself. I test drove a manual Sport JT, only because it was the first one on my local dealer's lot. It cannot compare to the driving experience of my 8 speed auto JT Rubicon. It's a night and day difference. The manual just didnt have the pep the 8 speed has.

It appears that way. Many manufacturers have already done away with them completely

It makes sense for most vehicles to have autos, but it seems like they’re just not investing in making a better manual. Especially when it comes to things like Jeeps where a lot of people want mechanical things instead of electrical for ease of working on, simplicity, and bullet proof performance. Jeeps have always had a long throw -rowing a boat- manual and a foot deep clutch pedal so as far as quick shifting the auto has always been faster. But the manual has always been a stronger transmission that can handle abuse while the autos were known for valve body issues, overheating, and when a sensor breaks it gets angry and limp modes to an expensive dealership computer. Worst thing a manual ever needs is a clutch job and a fluid change.

I don’t like the feel of most automatics. I enjoy the direct feel of being attached to a gear, complete control, not just when to shift or downshift or engine braking but the difference in feel of always being engaged and not free spinning, let off the gas and the vehicle slows instead of coasts.

But now with this 8spd changing things and seems to take a beating and actually be reliable, which means if they don’t upgrade the manual soon it’s eventually going to no longer be an option, on one of the extremely few vehicles that offer one and have been keeping it alive. Kind of sad that by creating something really good they’re accidentally killing off the manual.

Top Bottom