Would you rather...

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Buy a semi built JK and finish building it to daily and crawl or buy a truck, trailer, and a CJ to daily and crawl?
I'm torn between this decision. If I had the funds I probably would go with the jk, truck, and trailer. Gotta be honest in that it made me nervous driving hours away to crawl hoping I didnt break anything with my old jk. How is it to crawl with a CJ? Or should I go with something else?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

wjtstudios

Hooked
I know that my scrambler build will never match my JKU before or after it’s current upgrades. It really is Apples to oranges. I’m sure you could build a CJ crawler that could easily run with built JKs but it wouldn’t be comfortable or in many ways capable of on road travel. CJs are beautiful for what they are, but if you want an all around rig, there’s nothing better than a JK or JL.

As far as trailering goes, I need to have the ability to get back home on schedule regardless of what if anything happens to the Jeep. For that reason I’ve been building my way into that truck and trailer. But that’s been years in the making. I truly love the fact I can drive my JK 10 hours, wheel it for a weekend and then it gets me back home. I just know that those days are numbered for me and someday I would have been stranded.

If it were me, I’d buy a good JKU, build it as you want it to be, pay it off, then get a 1 ton and a trailer. Just my thoughts, and as you know my CJ is still and always will be my favorite Jeep! Just not practical for both roles.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Last edited:

desertrunner

Buy a semi built JK and finish building it to daily and crawl or buy a truck, trailer, and a CJ to daily and crawl?
I'm torn between this decision. If I had the funds I probably would go with the jk, truck, and trailer. Gotta be honest in that it made me nervous driving hours away to crawl hoping I didnt break anything with my old jk. How is it to crawl with a CJ? Or should I go with something else?

Seeing as I have done both it is really a hard choice. My old 4dr was a DD built on 37s and now I have an F150 with a car hauler and my 2dr built on 37s. Honestly I will say the benefits of haveing both a truck and the Jeep is amazing. My F150 is way more comfortable to drive back and forth to work or on a long road trip that's not wheeling involved like skiing or even camp/fishing trips. The wife enjoys riding in it way more and complains less (like our 18hr drive to Moab) BUT the biggest benefit in my opinion is the fact that I can wrench on my Jeep all day long and if I don't finish something or a part doesn't work out it's no big deal I can drive the truck. The flexibility to work on anything I want with the jeep and not HAVE to finish it right away is huge. With my old 4 Dr I would have to bum rides to work because of something that should have taken me 4hrs took 3 days....

There's some drawbacks though. The $$$ I have between all 3, shoot I could have a EVO built rig on FFs and 40s so my build is a lot more mild than it would be if I sunk all that $ into only the jeep. And that thought has crossed my mind plenty when some of those pop up for sale here for awesome deals. I would gladly DD and Evo built rig knowing really it's complete and shouldn't need work other than maintenance. Also I am fortunate enough to have the space at my house to have 3 cars and a trailer without having to pay for storage that not all people have. Then just the obvious of extra registration and insurance costs.

It really is tough because I love my set up right now. Having the truck is very nice and comes in handy WAY more often than having a Evo rig on 40s....BUT the dream of having that built of a Jeep is always on my mind, even if I had to DD it.
My vote is the truck and CJ but only based on the fact that I do a lot of other things than just wheel. If my life was all about wheeling and jeeping I'd go with the built jk.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
There is something rewarding about driving to the trail for the day... or weekend... or week... and back. Thats the great thing about the newer platforms.. And it forces you to stay on top of maintenance. But If I had trails in my back yard, I’d want an old rig built up for dirt only. Issue with trailers can be storage, and having to circle back on a point to point trail. I vote JK but don’t give up on the CJ plan... and save up for a truck... Everyone needs a good truck.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
The thought of a CJ beater is nice, but I doubt it would be any cheaper than a JK once I was done modifying it. I’d probably want so full float axles and that would make cost a moot point.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
If you’re looking for a mildly built and well taken care of JKU, I’m thinking of selling mine very soon. 2007 with 89K original miles, rubi transfer case, PR44 w ARB front, and a rubi rear, 37” BFG MTs,. Oh, and EVO DD longarm lift. Lots of other goodies too.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Yea seems like the consensus is to stick with the jk and get a tow rig later. Seems like a solid plan and what I'll end up doing. I agree it is satisfying driving to go wheeling and then driving back home. I'll just keep praying I won't break it while I'm over 6 hours from home haha. Thanks for all the input.

jdofmemi

Just to further muddy the waters, skip that and get a JL to daily and wheel.

Once you drive one, the JK looses some luster.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Just to further muddy the waters, skip that and get a JL to daily and wheel.

Once you drive one, the JK looses some luster.
I may be crazy but I really love the JK platform vs the JL. I've only test driven the sport but wasn't really wowed. Of course I was in the middle of buying Clay's old anvil and had my heart set on it so I probably convinced myself not to like the JL.

Top Bottom