Homemade skid plates.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
So I was wondering if anyone on here has made there own skid plate before. What do you guys think of making one verse buying one. I’m wanting to put on an oil pan skid, but I have a bunch of metal left over from my tire carrier and I do have all the tools to build one. Would love to see pictures if you guys have made your own oil pan skid. Still not sure on what I want to do.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

desertrunner

Wasn't there someone on here that wasn't happy with the rock hard 4x4 ones and built his own? I think I was a full under slide plate thing though not just an oil pan skid.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Yeah I have enough steel plates to make a full belly skid. And I need to do something with the left over steel. I might make my own but was just wanting to see what other people came up with on how they made there’s.

desertrunner

Making just an oil pan skid might be a real pain in the ass. Most of the ones I have seen attach to all the bolts that hold on the stock oil pan. That would be a bitch to fabricate on your own. I'm sure there is plenty of options to attach a bigger skid somewhere else that also covers the oil pan though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Yeah that’s what I would have to do is find another mount location that is strong enough to take a good hit. I think I found some locations but might be a pain to fabricate.

sunnysideup

This is the one I made on a 2007 Jk... I figure it's better than stock. 1/4 inch thick, I heated it and hammered it into shape... made a bracket for each side that runs up to the block. It has very little side protection... all focused on the bottom and just a slight roll on the edges. It was scrap I had laying around... so it worked- and then it went on there about 6 years ago... been there ever since. Taken a few hits... but no sign of any damage. I can change oil without taking it off.

008 (2).jpg
004 (2).jpg
002 (2).jpg
005 (2).jpg

Last edited:

sunnysideup

I finihed out the skids with a Synergy Cross-member skid... I then fabricated a transmission guard to the front of it... I hacked the stock transfer skid and attached it to the Synergy skid... and it has all held up well.

002.jpg

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
This is the one I made on a 2007 Jk... I figure it's better than stock. 1/4 inch thick, I heated it and hammered it into shape... made a bracket for each side that runs up to the block. It has very little side protection... all focused on the bottom and just a slight roll on the edges. It was scrap I had laying around... so it worked- and then it went on there about 6 years ago... been there ever since. Taken a few hits... but no sign of any damage. I can change oil without taking it off.

View attachment 338762
View attachment 338763
View attachment 338764
View attachment 338765

Nice! Thanks for posting up the pics. I’m still thinking about doing some of my own skids like that.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
It's what I ran on Moby back when he still had a 3.8L. Worked out great. :thumb:

Looks good Op!

Eddie, what do you think of the protection the Evo Protek skid system (the 3 or 4 piece set if I remember) offers? Is it adequate or do you recommend protecting any other soft points on top of the protection that offers?

Right now I'm mainly getting into mud, but at some point I plan on hitting some rocky trails. Any advice is appreciated!

JKbrick

Looks good Op!

Eddie, what do you think of the protection the Evo Protek skid system (the 3 or 4 piece set if I remember) offers? Is it adequate or do you recommend protecting any other soft points on top of the protection that offers?

Right now I'm mainly getting into mud, but at some point I plan on hitting some rocky trails. Any advice is appreciated!

My advice would be to avoid mud!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom