Home theater projector

trailraider

Got the OK to build a home theater in the basement.

I have the sound system ready to go , but thinking of to do a projector and screen.

but I know nothing about them. pro and cons ?
so questions, with the tech in the t.v and the size you can get is it worth going projector? or should I just get a t.v. looking at between a 75- 85 "

I like the clean edges of the projector screen, but the t.v's are getting better.

whats everyone's thoughts?

I love projectors. And highly recommend them. But it depends on your preference. The light is shown at the screen which creates a style of picture that is very different from an led being lit through the back of an led. If you like that super bright highlighter-Esque color than projector isn’t the choice for you.

Is there a store you can checkout projectors near you?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Brute

Hooked
We bought a house that had a projector and screen already installed...we removed it and installed an 80” tv...much happier...

WJCO

Meme King
I had one at a previous home that we used on a blank wall and set it to 96". Definitely had it's cool factor and was out of the way, but I wouldn't be set on doing it again. Plus back then, we had to have a designated spot for a PC, DVD player, etc. If I had a designated room for just a movie theater, I'd probably do it again.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I’d recommend checking out the LG or Song OLED TVs. I have a 2016 LG OLED65E6P that I bought new. It still blows away many new TVs in picture quality. It’s 4K HDR/UHD, and will play Dolby Vision and HDR10 content. In OLED TVs each individual pixel is it’s own light source, which produces the darkest blacks possible, and has an amazing picture quality without the uneven back lighting many LED TVs have.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Depends on the type of overall experience you want. Nothing beats a large projector screen for a true “theater” feel but everyone’s definition of “Home Theater” varies. IMO there’s a threshold of about 80” diagonal where above that a nice projector/screen combo could present a better value per inch, BUT if you want 4K, a TV is probably the way to go still. Native 4K projectors for the most part aren’t affordable for everyone. Several mfrs have variations of “e-shift” technology to be compatible with 4K video sources and the picture can be pretty incredible. The price range could be just under $2k to approaching 5 figures, it’s no different than any other hobby as there are virtually no limits on what you could spend...there are also several factors in what will make a projector image “pop”, ambient light, lumens, contrast ratio, etc. The less light output from the projector, the more you’ll need reduce ambient light. If the image isn’t bright enough you’ll have to watch in a mostly dark environment and can make the entire HT more of a novelty. If these are concerns you may be better off with a TV.

Last edited:

trailraider

thanks guys, I may end up holding out to buy a better project. just wanted some insight, as I don't know anything about projectors nor have I owned one.

I love projectors. And highly recommend them. But it depends on your preference. The light is shown at the screen which creates a style of picture that is very different from an led being lit through the back of an led. If you like that super bright highlighter-Esque color than projector isn’t the choice for you.

Is there a store you can checkout projectors near you?

not really, we have some high end stores, but they are currently out of my price range. bestbuy has 0 they can demo. Tried to view some at a local electronics store but was crazy busy this weekend. so I am going to try again tonight

We bought a house that had a projector and screen already installed...we removed it and installed an 80” tv...much happier...

was it a cheaper one? what makes you happier with the one you bought? and is it mounted on the wall?

I had one at a previous home that we used on a blank wall and set it to 96". Definitely had it's cool factor and was out of the way, but I wouldn't be set on doing it again. Plus back then, we had to have a designated spot for a PC, DVD player, etc. If I had a designated room for just a movie theater, I'd probably do it again.

this room will be strictly for theater. From what i have seen a lot now has to do with the screen for picture quality. the way I am doing this room will have everything hidden behind a wall. no components other then screen and speakers.

I carry my home theatre around with me everywhere I go. Hell sometimes people even call it to talk to me

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

that's the same as my kids. lol

Depends on the type of overall experience you want. Nothing beats a large projector screen for a true “theater” feel but everyone’s definition of “Home Theater” varies. IMO there’s a threshold of about 80” diagonal where above that a nice projector/screen combo could present a better value per inch, BUT if you want 4K, a TV is probably the way to go still. Native 4K projectors for the most part aren’t affordable for everyone. Several mfrs have variations of “e-shift” technology to be compatible with 4K video sources and the picture can be pretty incredible. The price range could be just under $2k to approaching 5 figures, it’s no different than any other hobby as there are virtually no limits on what you could spend...there are also several factors in what will make a projector image “pop”, ambient light, lumens, contrast ratio, etc. The less light output from the projector, the more you’ll need reduce ambient light. If the image isn’t bright enough you’ll have to watch in a mostly dark environment and can make the entire HT more of a novelty. If these are concerns you may be better off with a TV.

I personally just want a clean room I can sit back watch (fall asleep as kids put it) to a movie. good sound and good picture quality, 4k is where I am leaning to, but not cheap.

Brute

Hooked
I think it mostly had to do with the size of the room...and the setup was not current state of the art. We spoke to our av guy, and decided to go with a 4K Sony that works great for us, installed a Sonos sound system ...we are happy with the results

not really, we have some high end stores, but they are currently out of my price range. bestbuy has 0 they can demo. Tried to view some at a local electronics store but was crazy busy this weekend. so I am going to try again tonight
That’s what sucks most about shopping for them, they’re nowhere near as popular which makes them hard to experience in person especially side by side, and their pictures vary a lot and have a lot of environmental variables. And you absolutely want 4K, tv projector or whatever you go with. That tech is already here, not coming in the future.
One thing to note that only high end places will even bother telling you is that you want to power your equipment (especially a projector) from an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) that will condition the power (dirty power is bad), stop surges, and will keep running when the power goes out, NOT just a surge protector. Projectors have a cool down phase and can blow a very expensive bulb out from losing power.

Checkout Crutchfield and Newegg for good prices and good support.

trailraider

One thing to note that only high end places will even bother telling you is that you want to power your equipment (especially a projector) from an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) that will condition the power (dirty power is bad), stop surges, and will keep running when the power goes out, NOT just a surge protector. Projectors have a cool down phase and can blow a very expensive bulb out from losing power.

This is good info, thank you. something I would not have thought about for sure.

Top Bottom