Areas surrounding Beale AFB

Could use some input from everyone regarding a possible relocation. My wife just got a pretty tempting offer from a company based near Beale AFB. Being that California has never been on my radar.

I’ve head Yuba city is hit or miss and the last time I drove through Sacramento I though it was a bit of a turd.

Some feedback on the area would be awesome.

critter812

Could use some input from everyone regarding a possible relocation. My wife just got a pretty tempting offer from a company based near Beale AFB. Being that California has never been on my radar.

I’ve head Yuba city is hit or miss and the last time I drove through Sacramento I though it was a bit of a turd.

Some feedback on the area would be awesome.

Been a long time My dad was stationed there if she access to cut through the base there used to be a short cut to Reno out the back. My grandparents lived in Marrysville but that was back in 95. Roseville is nice but about a 45min drive to Beale AFB

KevinG

Caught the Bug
Been a long time My dad was stationed there if she access to cut through the base there used to be a short cut to Reno out the back. My grandparents lived in Marrysville but that was back in 95. Roseville is nice but about a 45min drive to Beale AFB

My wife spent a couple of different stints at Beale and we lived down there until 2013. We lived in Rocklin (just north of Roseville) and then moved to Wheatland just southwest of the base after our daughter was born so my wife's commute was shorter. Critter is right about the what the drive was to the base from Roseville, but with the hwy improvements its gotten a little shorter. We loved being so close to I 80, and had we gone back there a third time we would have bought in Lincoln. What kind of stuff are you after?

My wife spent a couple of different stints at Beale and we lived down there until 2013. We lived in Rocklin (just north of Roseville) and then moved to Wheatland just southwest of the base after our daughter was born so my wife's commute was shorter. Critter is right about the what the drive was to the base from Roseville, but with the hwy improvements its gotten a little shorter. We loved being so close to I 80, and had we gone back there a third time we would have bought in Lincoln. What kind of stuff are you after?

Just trying to get an idea of the community around there. I currently have a 50 minute commute so that isn’t a big deal. We’ve been wanting to relocate from Utah for quite some time, but my wife’s degree and career were the deciding factor on why we haven’t yet.

Can’t stand the Mormon bullshit here and I’m getting really tired of our dog shit air. I do have certain issues with California in general but have been told some areas aren’t as bad as others

KevinG

Caught the Bug
Just trying to get an idea of the community around there. I currently have a 50 minute commute so that isn’t a big deal. We’ve been wanting to relocate from Utah for quite some time, but my wife’s degree and career were the deciding factor on why we haven’t yet.

Can’t stand the Mormon bullshit here and I’m getting really tired of our dog shit air. I do have certain issues with California in general but have been told some areas aren’t as bad as others

Honestly I haven't spent much time in Yuba City, mostly because it seemed like all of the fun stuff is the other way from Beale. I would definitely check out Lincoln. Newer community and really clean. I didn't notice an abundance of Mormons, but I'm pretty dense when it comes to that. I don't know how they do it, I have a hard time keeping one woman happy :cheesy:

I was just about to add to your other thread. I came from short arm 4.5 to long arm and then coilovers about two weeks later. The long arm was a night a day difference. Coilovers were icing on the cake. Just adding my :twocents:

Honestly I haven't spent much time in Yuba City, mostly because it seemed like all of the fun stuff is the other way from Beale. I would definitely check out Lincoln. Newer community and really clean. I didn't notice an abundance of Mormons, but I'm pretty dense when it comes to that. I don't know how they do it, I have a hard time keeping one woman happy :cheesy:

I was just about to add to your other thread. I came from short arm 4.5 to long arm and then coilovers about two weeks later. The long arm was a night a day difference. Coilovers were icing on the cake. Just adding my :twocents:

I appreciate the feedback on both accounts. We’re originally from the Seattle area so Utah has never felt like home. But the engineering program my wife wanted to attend is among the best in the country so we relocated. She had a 2 year commitment with the company that hired her once she graduated and that is almost fulfilled. California hasn’t really ever been on our radar and to be honest we had just thought that staying for a while in Utah was how things were going to shake out. Going back home to Washington is going to be hard. Cost of living up there is insane and the housing market is next to non existent. Nevada and Colorado have been on the list, has is Texas. But we prefer to stay within a days drive of Utah.

KevinG

Caught the Bug
I appreciate the feedback on both accounts. We’re originally from the Seattle area so Utah has never felt like home. But the engineering program my wife wanted to attend is among the best in the country so we relocated. She had a 2 year commitment with the company that hired her once she graduated and that is almost fulfilled. California hasn’t really ever been on our radar and to be honest we had just thought that staying for a while in Utah was how things were going to shake out. Going back home to Washington is going to be hard. Cost of living up there is insane and the housing market is next to non existent. Nevada and Colorado have been on the list, has is Texas. But we prefer to stay within a days drive of Utah.

With my wife in the AF we have had to move to California a few times. If we hadn't had family up here in Washington, we would moved back to Lincoln or Rocklin. Part of that we were stuck in Baltimore for a few years, but the bigger part was how much that area has to offer for stuff for recreation. And you are 100% correct about the cost of living around Seattle. Not as bad when you get outside King County. Do you still have family up here?

With my wife in the AF we have had to move to California a few times. If we hadn't had family up here in Washington, we would moved back to Lincoln or Rocklin. Part of that we were stuck in Baltimore for a few years, but the bigger part was how much that area has to offer for stuff for recreation. And you are 100% correct about the cost of living around Seattle. Not as bad when you get outside King County. Do you still have family up here?

I do yeah, I grew up in Snoqualmie and still have family in north bend. We’d likely go back to living there if my uncle ever decided to sell his house lol. She’s tried to get on with multiple companies up there but oddly, there isn’t kuch work for an electrical engineer in the specific field that she specialize in. Found that to be super strange. We currently live about half a mile from Hill AFB just north of Salt Lake City and commute down each day. So we’re no stranger to the AFB communities and constant jets flying their training ops.

jesse3638

Hooked
You're right about Sac being a turd. I've spent a lot of time there and never liked it. If I were you I'd look East towards smaller towns near the forest boundary. Although the downside could be amenities but less people to deal with

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Lived in Roseville a few years ago. There are some back ways off the highway that will get you to Beale. I would look in Roseville, Rocklin, Lincoln or further in to the hills like Aubrun if you can handle the commute.

Yuba was a turd last time I went through there. It is cheaper housing though.

KevinG

Caught the Bug
I do yeah, I grew up in Snoqualmie and still have family in north bend. We’d likely go back to living there if my uncle ever decided to sell his house lol. She’s tried to get on with multiple companies up there but oddly, there isn’t kuch work for an electrical engineer in the specific field that she specialize in. Found that to be super strange. We currently live about half a mile from Hill AFB just north of Salt Lake City and commute down each day. So we’re no stranger to the AFB communities and constant jets flying their training ops.

Ahhh, I see where the cost of living stuff is coming in to play. A lot of growth in Issaquah has pushed a lot of the prices up in North Bend. If you make the move to California and by chance end up around Rocklin/Roseville/Lincoln, make sure you get to Awful Annies for breakfast. We have actually talked about making the 16 hour drive down there for the breakfast. (I need better life goals)

PokerStogey

I work for the State and have for over 20 years... lived here all my life... CA has been shitting on itself for quite sometime now. I am only here because I have to be. If you enjoy guns and freedom and long for a time when men were men and not everyone got a trophy, then keep the bar low when you get here (area around Sac specifically) and you might be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ahhh, I see where the cost of living stuff is coming in to play. A lot of growth in Issaquah has pushed a lot of the prices up in North Bend. If you make the move to California and by chance end up around Rocklin/Roseville/Lincoln, make sure you get to Awful Annies for breakfast. We have actually talked about making the 16 hour drive down there for the breakfast. (I need better life goals)

Oh most certainly will do. Yeah North Bend and Snoqualmie are getting a lot of the overflow from Issaquah. Especially since all the development up on the ridge above the golf course.

I work for the State and have for over 20 years... lived here all my life... CA has been shitting on itself for quite sometime now. I am only here because I have to be. If you enjoy guns and freedom and long for a time when men were men and not everyone got a trophy, then keep the bar low when you get here (area around Sac specifically) and you might be fine.

Yeah those have always been an issue when considering Cali as a place to relocate. I am a part time firearms instructor and take the second amendment very seriously so that is an issue for us. My wife is hoping she can actually use this offer as “ammo” to take back to her current employer. But if they call her bluff we are prepared to make the change. She did mention that some folks working for this new company live in Carson city or Reno and they offer compensation for the commute expense but damn... that’s a long commute.

nbunga

Caught the Bug

That needs to be on the welcome signs going into the state

Mikey917

Moving to CA

I'm a California native currently living in Newcastle. I saw another suggestion for Lincoln and that puts you in the middle for other employment opportunities. I'm assuming you will both be working. Lincoln is a nice little community that is growing rapidly. If you are looking for acreage check around Camp Far West Lake. Consider locating slightly uphill to stay out of the winter fog that can cover the valley. You'll also be a little warmer in the winter as there is typically an inversion layer that traps the cold air on the valley floor. California insurance companies are canceling policies if they decide you live in a high risk area. Living in the trees could be pricey.
If you get serious about the move, let me know. We work with a Realtor that manages our rental properties and she lives in Lincoln and covers the areas of interest. Unfortunately this state is run by idiots, but there are some nice places and good people that want to see this place change.

Bustedback

Lincoln and Wheatland are way better options to live in than anywhere north of Beale. Linda, Olivehurst, Marysville are all shit holes full of tweakers and bums. Yuba City is ok if you like curry.

Top Bottom