Replacing steering gear box and didn't lock down steering wheel

Ok, so I make a rookie mistake. I removed my steering gear box and didn't tie down my steering wheel. The steering was off when I looked at it in the vehicle. Am I screwed and now have to buy a new clock spring? Or can i gently turn the wheel until I feel tension and go the other way until tension, then split the difference? I don't have the new gear box installed yet but wanted to get a game plan before I start putting everything back together.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So long as you didn't crank your steering wheel to the point of tearing your clock spring tape, you should be fine. Just gently rotate it all the way to one direction until you feel the tape and the count the amount of rotations it takes to get to the other side. Divide by half and you have center again.

So long as you didn't crank your steering wheel to the point of tearing your clock spring tape, you should be fine. Just gently rotate it all the way to one direction until you feel the tape and the count the amount of rotations it takes to get to the other side. Divide by half and you have center again.

Thank you!! I had hoped it would be something as simple as that.

Top Bottom