NOOB Question, Does the FAD allow shift on the fly 4WD?

bonedoc

Hey everyone. Quick question. Does the FAD allow for shift on the fly 4WD? I'm not new to jeeps. But last night was driving home in some inclimate weather and thought about it as I shifted in and out of 4WD in my JKU with 6spd. I'm not unfamiliar with the axle disconnect concept. My first jeep was and '88 Jeep Comanche 4x4 w/ 5spd.
My JTR is on order and it has an Auto trans. Does the FAD allow shift on the fly 4wd and will it function with an Auto trans?

WJCO

Meme King
Hey everyone. Quick question. Does the FAD allow for shift on the fly 4WD? I'm not new to jeeps. But last night was driving home in some inclimate weather and thought about it as I shifted in and out of 4WD in my JKU with 6spd. I'm not unfamiliar with the axle disconnect concept. My first jeep was and '88 Jeep Comanche 4x4 w/ 5spd.
My JTR is on order and it has an Auto trans. Does the FAD allow shift on the fly 4wd and will it function with an Auto trans?

Also, just something to note, on ours, it is very difficult to shift into 4HI. As in, you have to really pull the lever hard. Funny too, because when we first got it, our salesman was telling us (in regards to the shift lever), 'Don't worry, You can't break it.' I have a feeling other customers have called him about it.

jdofmemi

Also, just something to note, on ours, it is very difficult to shift into 4HI. As in, you have to really pull the lever hard. Funny too, because when we first got it, our salesman was telling us (in regards to the shift lever), 'Don't worry, You can't break it.' I have a feeling other customers have called him about it.

This is just a slightly educated guess, but I believe the reason it is hard to shift is that you have to engage the clutch that spins the transfer case gears and front driveshaft up to matching speed before they will engage, then once the speed matches the FAD engages.

Top Bottom