Engine idles at 1500 RPM's at startup until coolant level reaches 197 degrees

DMF

I did a quick google search and someone from Jeep stated this was not normal and should be look at. The problem is when I start up my engine in the morning, I have the 4 banger. The engine RPM runs at 1500 until the coolant level reaches a certain temperature. This usually takes 3 minutes before the engine RPM drops down below 1000 RPM. However I only let the engine warm up for about 30 seconds before I head out. But from what this person said, should I take the Jeep in, what do you guys think?

Edit
I feel dumber after posting this. Jeep is under warranty, there's other things to worry about.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
Don't know, doesn't seem abnormal if it drops off pretty quick.

I'll need to pay attention to my JL when I start it up in the morning.

Seems it does idle high and starts blowing heat pretty quick but haven't noticed the idle staying high for any extended period of time that I would consider abnormal.

WJCO

Meme King
Typical idle speed is 750-850 RPM. If it sits that high, I would just take it in and see what they say. It should definitely be under warranty.

Noble Woodsman

Idling high after starting is normal until the coolant temperature increases. Not sure about how high the idle should be. How long it remains high would depend on how cold the engine starts at.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

DMF

I’ll post a video when I get home. It won’t be until after Christmas.

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
I did a quick google search and someone from Jeep stated this was not normal and should be look at. The problem is when I start up my engine in the morning, I have the 4 banger. The engine RPM runs at 1500 until the coolant level reaches a certain temperature. This usually takes 3 minutes before the engine RPM drops down below 1000 RPM. However I only let the engine warm up for about 30 seconds before I head out. But from what this person said, should I take the Jeep in, what do you guys think?

Edit
I feel dumber after posting this. Jeep is under warranty, there's other things to worry about.

Is this your first car?

Brute

Hooked
Four banger warms up quickly...seems normal to me. My Brute with a 5.7 drops below 1000 rpm rather quickly...but my Hellcat take at least three minutes before I’m into 900 rpms

DMF

I know I'm bringing this topic up again even though I'm saying I don't care. But the truth is it does bother me because it's an obnoxious high pitch sound, it's embarrassing when I'm outside talking to a friend while engine is started. And like Brute says, most 4 bangers warms up quickly, this one takes over 2 1/2 minutes before it quiet down when the RPM's begin to drop. Our Acura RDX 4 banger turbo, takes it 30 seconds and RPM is under 1k.

BaddestCross

How cold is it outside where you're at? My wife's 3.6 minivan takes awhile to warm up at idle if she just leaves it running in the driveway in the morning.

You don't have to let newer vehicles warm up like old school cars anyway, so why aren't you just starting it up and driving away?

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
I know I'm bringing this topic up again even though I'm saying I don't care. But the truth is it does bother me because it's an obnoxious high pitch sound, it's embarrassing when I'm outside talking to a friend while engine is started. And like Brute says, most 4 bangers warms up quickly, this one takes over 2 1/2 minutes before it quiet down when the RPM's begin to drop. Our Acura RDX 4 banger turbo, takes it 30 seconds and RPM is under 1k.

2 1/2 minutes...really when its cold out? It's normal man.

Noble Woodsman

How cold is it outside where you're at? My wife's 3.6 minivan takes awhile to warm up at idle if she just leaves it running in the driveway in the morning.

You don't have to let newer vehicles warm up like old school cars anyway, so why aren't you just starting it up and driving away?

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

The video showed 61F outside temperature.

@ the OP: i just started my 2015 jkur and the idle dropped below 1000 RPM in 35 seconds. I have the 3.6L pentastar, naturally aspirated, and outside temp was 75F, so not exactly a direct comparison, but if the the I4 turbo you have is supposed to warm up faster than a v6, then the 2.5 minutes shown in your video does seem long.

A few thoughts: are you low on coolant? Im not sure about the JL, but on a JK, the dash readout for engine temp uses a separate sensor than the the ECM uses for running the engine. Maybe the ECM sensor is sluggish (a common failure mode for thermocouples)?

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
The video showed 61F outside temperature.

@ the OP: i just started my 2015 jkur and the idle dropped below 1000 RPM in 35 seconds. I have the 3.6L pentastar, naturally aspirated, and outside temp was 75F, so not exactly a direct comparison, but if the the I4 turbo you have is supposed to warm up faster than a v6, then the 2.5 minutes shown in your video does seem long.

A few thoughts: are you low on coolant? Im not sure about the JL, but on a JK, the dash readout for engine temp uses a separate sensor than the the ECM uses for running the engine. Maybe the ECM sensor is sluggish (a common failure mode for thermocouples)?

Your comparing Apples to Oranges. He stated, I believe he has JL with 2.0L. Night and day to yours. I have JL 2.0l and mine runs at like 1500 until temp guage moves to about a 1/4 way up. If he is that concerned about it...CALL THE DEALER. It boggles my mind how people persistently post questions on here that a dealer could answer immediately. I suspect he has been told by various people it is normal, but is trying to find the answer he wants to hear.

Last edited:

DMF

Your comparing Apples to Oranges. He stated, I believe he has JL with 2.0L. Night and day to yours. I have JL 2.0l and mine runs at like 1500 until temp guage moves to about a 1/4 way up. If he is that concerned about it...CALL THE DEALER. It boggles my mind how people persistently post questions on here that a dealer could answer immediately. I suspect he has been told by various people it is normal, but is trying to find the answer he wants to hear.

Isn't there a thread out there where you need to tell people how hard you wheel man? I said, most of the time I just drive off. It's the time when I'm outside talking to my friends before leaving I notice the engine is loud as fuck. And it's the whining 4 banger sound that's loud.

Last edited:

BaddestCross

Isn't there a thread out there where you need to tell people how hard you wheel man? I said, most of the time I just drive off. It's the time when I'm outside talking to my friends before leaving I notice the engine is loud as fuck. And it's the whining 4 banger sound that's loud.
A V8 swap will fix that right up. Then you'll have the opposite problem. [emoji23]

--

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug

I think...your fucking high or something...or your an idiot...with a $40k vehicle with 2000 miles on it, and you think something is wrong with the engine...however you persistently ask the same question here instead of dealer. Or...your just a little SLOOOOOOW.

and I don't need another thread... I can do it here if you really want.:crazyeyes: I WHEEL HARD YO! :bleh:

DMF

That’s the problem I would like to have! Has anyone heard these 4 cylinders when cold? It sounds like my old 250 motorcycle i road in high school.

Top Bottom