Best trailer for 2 and 4 Dr wranglers?

mondricek

I’m looking to turn my 2 door Jeep Wrangler into a trailer queen! Can someone give me some good recommendations on trailers? I think my wheel width is 83”, plus I want to be able to tow a 4 door JL when I upgrade down the line. Ideally I’ll get an F150 that will serve as the tow rig. Thanks! D7C201E8-3856-40FD-AA1E-B04C7EBD5335.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
I’m looking to turn my 2 door Jeep Wrangler into a trailer queen! Can someone give me some good recommendations on trailers? I think my wheel width is 83”, plus I want to be able to tow a 4 door JL when I upgrade down the line. Ideally I’ll get an F150 that will serve as the tow rig. Thanks! View attachment 338953

Might want to re-think that truck size - you're gonna be close to max capacity with a 6000# (+ or -) Jeep and a couple thousand # trailer.
3/4 ton would be a lot better size. :twocents:

mondricek

Might want to re-think that truck size - you're gonna be close to max capacity with a 6000# (+ or -) Jeep and a couple thousand # trailer.

If you outfit it right, an F-150 can tow 13,000 pounds, but I know what you’re saying

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

New F150 will tow 13,500. Not that I would but it can.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Ddays

Hooked
New F150 will tow 13,500. Not that I would but it can.

Yeah, so if I’m at 10,000# assuming fully armored Jeep and trailer, I still have a good amount of safety. Plus I want to daily it and getting around town is so much easier in a 1/2 ton truck

Yup, my bad. I thought the max towing was in the 8-10,000# range for the F150's. And I can attest that the 3/4 ton ride is not really fun for a daily. At least in the Ford.

Can’t help you with brands the ones I’ve used are local companies and I’m sure you can google. Look more at what features you want, Double axle brakes, deck material, anchor points, ramp storage, winch mount, tool storage, drive over fenders, lights, etc. and then find a trailer suited to your needs. Axle weight ratings are something you want to plan for your future with, a lot of guys go overboard pointlessly.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Can’t help you with brands the ones I’ve used are local companies and I’m sure you can google. Look more at what features you want, Double axle brakes, deck material, anchor points, ramp storage, winch mount, tool storage, drive over fenders, lights, etc. and then find a trailer suited to your needs. Axle weight ratings are something you want to plan for your future with, a lot of guys go overboard pointlessly.

I don’t know what you mean by going “overboard?”

IMG_2346.jpg

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yeah, so if I’m at 10,000# assuming fully armored Jeep and trailer, I still have a good amount of safety. Plus I want to daily it and getting around town is so much easier in a 1/2 ton truck

Agreed on the 1/2 ton being easier, but if your towing thru the mountains you are going to need a lot more towing capacity. I don’t believe the 1/2 ton will bandit with out overheating.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I don’t know what you mean by going “overboard?”

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler
I mean spring and axle weight ratings that it will never see. Knowing you yours will see “overboard” weights from time to time.

desertrunner

I have a 20' dovetail that I tow my 2dr with my 16' F150. My truck has max tow package but still has the 6 speed transmission and the 3.5 ecoboost. My Max tow cap is 11.5k and my total weight of the jeep and the trailer is 7k. Towing it really isn't that bad. I cruised 12+ hours to Moab at 70mph with no issues. It is a bit of a bear to stop and I wish it was better but it's still safe and doable. I only tow maybe twice a year so it's not that big of a deal. If I towed once a month or so I would definitely choose a 3/4 ton.

One more thing to note when I was buying my trailer is not all 7' wide trailers are built alike in fact most that I found are 82" wide at the wheel wells. My Jeep is 83" wide and the only one I could get ahold of locally that was wide enough was a PJ trailer that is 83" wide and I scrape the wheel wells loading. The 20 footer is definitely longer than I need but I got it used for a really good deal so I jumped on it. I would say if you want one that is good for a 2dr or 4dr an 18' is probably the best lengths and that you have 7.5k axles with dual axle brakes. 20180817_191722.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Thread revival!!

How has that PJ been treating you? I’ve been considering one that looks about the same but 18’.

I really want a 16’ trailer as I’m in an apartment and could fit a 16’ in a parking spot with very little overhang, buuuut there’s a brand new PJ 18’ for 2.7k nearby

desertrunner

Thread revival!!

How has that PJ been treating you? I’ve been considering one that looks about the same but 18’.

I really want a 16’ trailer as I’m in an apartment and could fit a 16’ in a parking spot with very little overhang, buuuut there’s a brand new PJ 18’ for 2.7k nearby

I really have only used it a few times but I have had no issues with it. 20' is way overkill for my 2dr but it was what I could get that was nice and used in my area. 18' would be nicer and I think a 16' would be ok for a 4dr but pretty full. Biggest thing I noticed when looking for a 16' was the axle rating. 18' had more selection for 7.5k axles.

I payed 3400 for mine that was 2 years old and used for like a 200 mile trip then sat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeffj

Caught the Bug
IMG_4879.jpg IMG_4748.jpg

This might be a little over kill for what your talking about, but I decided on a PJ buggy hauler. It has drive over fenders and an extra wide deck with two 7k axels. It was 84 wide between fender but Jeep is about 86. To get enough tongue weight I had to get the fenders notched for back tires.

JKbrick

bmkrinne

Hey Jeff, that’s a really nice trailer! I like the remote crank for the Jack. PJ makes a great trailer and especially like their recessed lights.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
View attachment 346074 View attachment 346075

This might be a little over kill for what your talking about, but I decided on a PJ buggy hauler. It has drive over fenders and an extra wide deck with two 7k axels. It was 84 wide between fender but Jeep is about 86. To get enough tongue weight I had to get the fenders notched for back tires.

I was looking at a few buggy haulers and love the idea but they’re a decent bit heavier. Right now I’m only towing with an f150 ecoboost. So weight is my biggest concern. Most of the time when being towed the jeep will be running tube doors and no top. That puts my Jeep at about 5k loaded with gear and cooler, so if I get a trailer that’s 2,300 or less then I can stay 2,500# below my 9,800 rating.

Top Bottom