Steering wheel turning issue

Wethy

Good evening folks!

Im having a bit of an issue with the steering wheel in my JK. Currently i can turn right quite easily, however when i start turning left the steering wheel immediately starts to bind up. And i have a hard time making a tight turn. Returning to centre seems fine either direction.

Currently hearing noise from what sounds like the lower steering steering shaft. The upper seems okay. Just looking at thoughts for where to check other than the steering shaft. Its late and dark so ill start looking into things in the morning but id appreciate any suggestions. Could a lower shaft cause this issue?

You have stock steering?

Hate to be that guy, but, do you have power steering fluid ?

Damaged stabilizer

Damaged gearbox

Get under it and have someone turn back and forth. You should be able to see where your issue is.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Wethy

No worries about being "that guy", i asked because I don't want to overlook something.
i will look at everything steering related in the morning, as its after midnight now. But upon initial inspection. Stabilizer looks fine.

Its got stock tie rod and stabilizer and a jks drag link flip on about 3" of lift has been on there for about 25,000km. I would presume i still have fluid as i do still have power steering. It just feels like the actual wheel is binding and turning the right feels completely normal. While rolling slowly it feels like it doesnt bind quite as much though.

. I do intend on checking all steering components when i do look though just to be sure. Its got 320,000KM on it so i can imagine the steering box could be wore.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I would guess steering stabilizer. Could potentially be a tie rod end or ball joint I suppose as well. I’ve never really heard of any part of the shaft prior to the steering box going bad.

JKbrick

I would guess steering stabilizer. Could potentially be a tie rod end or ball joint I suppose as well. I’ve never really heard of any part of the shaft prior to the steering box going bad.

Especially only turning one way. If the steering column shaft went bad I’d think it would be bad turning either direction

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Torrin

Especially only turning one way. If the steering column shaft went bad I’d think it would be bad turning either direction

Yup, for sure, and if it isn't that, I would get under the Jeep while someone else turns the wheel, it should be fairly obvious where it is binding.

Wethy

Well. Super unique situation. I have zero clue as to what/how it happened. But somehow the writing harness for my ARB compressor got caught on something on the steering shaft and wrapped itself around the shaft. Not good. Could have been much worse as the wiring was intact. However i have pulled the whole harness to inspect it completely.

Its super odd as its been installed for over a year. Maybe time to get a switch pro or something because i dont wanna deal with that ever again and what could have happened

armitagegarage

Good evening folks!

Im having a bit of an issue with the steering wheel in my JK. Currently i can turn right quite easily, however when i start turning left the steering wheel immediately starts to bind up. And i have a hard time making a tight turn. Returning to centre seems fine either direction.

Currently hearing noise from what sounds like the lower steering steering shaft. The upper seems okay. Just looking at thoughts for where to check other than the steering shaft. Its late and dark so ill start looking into things in the morning but id appreciate any suggestions. Could a lower shaft cause this issue?

I had sticky/binding steering on my JK but in both directions. I assumed it was the steering stabilizer as well; I removed it but there was no improvement. None of my tie rod ends or ball joints looked odd, so I took a shot in the dark and gave the two u-joints on my steering shaft a soak of wd-40. Steering feels mint again. I hope your solution is as easy as mine. Keep us posted.

JKbrick

Well. Super unique situation. I have zero clue as to what/how it happened. But somehow the writing harness for my ARB compressor got caught on something on the steering shaft and wrapped itself around the shaft. Not good. Could have been much worse as the wiring was intact. However i have pulled the whole harness to inspect it completely.

Its super odd as its been installed for over a year. Maybe time to get a switch pro or something because i dont wanna deal with that ever again and what could have happened

Glad you found it, good news is I’d assume if you would have had to make a quick emergency maneuver the harness may have just given away.

Wethy

I had sticky/binding steering on my JK but in both directions. I assumed it was the steering stabilizer as well; I removed it but there was no improvement. None of my tie rod ends or ball joints looked odd, so I took a shot in the dark and gave the two u-joints on my steering shaft a soak of wd-40. Steering feels mint again. I hope your solution is as easy as mine. Keep us posted.

I did get it sorted i posted just above the issue.
Glad you found it, good news is I’d assume if you would have had to make a quick emergency maneuver the harness may have just given away.

Yeah im just glad it didn't give way as it could have been very bad. Electrical fires are not something i would want to deal with.

I did get it sorted i posted just above the issue.Yeah im just glad it didn't give way as it could have been very bad. Electrical fires are not something i would want to deal with.

If its fused it wouldn’t have caused a fire. Zip ties are your friend. Look around for other loose things, could’ve had some vermin messing around in there.

Wethy

If its fused it wouldn’t have caused a fire. Zip ties are your friend. Look around for other loose things, could’ve had some vermin messing around in there.

It was fused as it was the ARB harness however. However crazy things happen.... like a harness getting wrapped around a steering shaft. Lol and it was all nicely zip tied up thats why its confusing as to how it occured. And everything else looked good today when i was in there so im pretty sure it's all mostly sorted. Other than going over the harness and putting it back in.

Top Bottom