I will probably regret this question....

Torrin

Ok, I have a 3" Synergy Lift and Nitto Trail Grapplers sitting at 37"s. With all of the reading I have been doing related to TGs vs Coopers and the Coopers being a lot lighter, can I safely run Cooper 40s on my Prorock 44 in front and upgraded 35 spline chromolly axles in the back? I have a drag link flip and PSC kit (without the Ram) and I have clearance for 40s. I do wheel hard, but less skinny pedal. Beyond the weight, I am slight concerned about my 4.88 gearing, but I do fine with 37's and an automajic.

If the answer is "No problem", I will regret it, as I will have to explain to my 5'3" wife why making the Jeep even harder to get into makes sense. :)

tl:dr Am I daft for putting 40" coopers on my Trail Leader PR44 kit with 4.88 auto?

Last edited:

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I don’t understand your question.. lol

Edit: never mind, re-read it. You’ll probably be fine. Send it.

jdofmemi

The weight of the tires is not what breaks things, the leverage is.

You sound convinced it will work, and it will, right up until something gives.

Just hope you are in an easy to reach place when it happens.

TheGrendel

Yes you can run it. You will eventually break stuff. You might get lucky and go a couple of years or it might break on the first hard run.

I’d stick to 37s max and save money for new axles if 40s are your goal. Plus the 4.88s are going to suck with 40s.

Torrin

The weight of the tires is not what breaks things, the leverage is.

You sound convinced it will work, and it will, right up until something gives.

Just hope you are in an easy to reach place when it happens.

I am not convinced at all, which is why I posted here. Trust me, if I was convinced, I would have just done it.

Don’t do it

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks Bubba, from you that is good guidance to not.

People ask me why I don’t have 40s. My 37s work fine and I don’t wanna kill my ProRock 44. Also Bubba said so. [emoji41][emoji1303]

See above, if Bubba says it is a bad idea, that is enough for me.

Yes you can run it. You will eventually break stuff. You might get lucky and go a couple of years or it might break on the first hard run.

I’d stick to 37s max and save money for new axles if 40s are your goal. Plus the 4.88s are going to suck with 40s.

I mean things will break even if I stay at 37's eventually. If it adds a large probability for breakage, I would not do it, but after Bubba weighed in, I am not going to do it. My next build will be 60/80 and 40's. I can always put 40's back on Vengeance. :D

Torrin

Curious why do you wanna jump to 40’s?

Well, because FORTIES! I am not saying it makes sense, I just see all of these pictures of rigs with 40's on them and go: "Wow, that is some serious badassery"

Probably the same reason he married a woman 5'3" she has small hands...[emoji6]

Sorry I had to make you regret this question...haha.

Honestly I'm sure you could make it work but it's not a matter of if it's a matter of when.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ya, I guess I was thinking of the only the weight as to why not run 40's instead of 37's. Leverage impact makes sense and Bubba said not to do it. Small warm hand make the cold nights go by quicker son. :)

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Well, because FORTIES! I am not saying it makes sense, I just see all of these pictures of rigs with 40's on them and go: "Wow, that is some serious badassery"

Jeeps on 35s and 37s are badass too. There is always going to be someone with a bigger Jeep, bank account, and on and on.

Torrin

Jeeps on 35s and 37s are badass too. There is always going to be someone with a bigger Jeep, bank account, and on and on.

True, but I have two on 37's and just sold my old one that started on 33's and then 35's, so it is time for one that has 40's don't you think?

jesse3638

Hooked

Ya, I guess I was thinking of the only the weight as to why not run 40's instead of 37's. Leverage impact makes sense and Bubba said not to do it. Small warm hand make the cold nights go by quicker son. :)
Quicker is not always a good thing..haha.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Torrin

:thinking: You own Vengeance. Throw the 40's on it and call it done. Why push the issue on axles that WILL break something?

Yup, that is likely what I am going to do. I am waiting to get Vengeance back form the shop getting it street legal again, will be looking into 40';s soon.

Top Bottom