Corner/quarter panel strength

I have a tub mounted HD hinge and tire carrier on my 2014 JKUS with a 35x12.5R17 hanging on it. Combo weighs roughly 95-100lbs. I try to be careful about slamming it real hard or opening it too forcefully. Accidentally kinda swung the gate open too hard the other day and it stopped swinging on the stops with a jolt. I know that corner is well reinforced but I’m curious how well the corner and quarter panel holds up to something like that. On the 90 Bronco I had years ago, opening the carrier with tire on it too hard would crinkle the corner/quarter panel sheet metal. I’ve looked closely at the seam there and don’t see any cracking, but there is something at the top where it goes under the hardtop. Not sure if it’s a hairline crack in the clear coat or some paint imperfection. How much weight and force can that corner hold up to before tub damage becomes a problem? IMG_0717.jpg

All of my jeeps are cracked there. It doesn’t affect anything if it’s cracked.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Interesting. Ok so the weight then shouldn’t be an issue? I know there are cage style carriers that are rated for up to 40s that mount there (minus the EVO that mounts on the corners). Was just beginning to wonder if the weight is an issue should I delete the spare off the gate and carry it a different way. What’s your preferred spare mounting?

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Interesting. Ok so the weight then shouldn’t be an issue? I know there are cage style carriers that are rated for up to 40s that mount there (minus the EVO that mounts on the corners). Was just beginning to wonder if the weight is an issue should I delete the spare off the gate and carry it a different way. What’s your preferred spare mounting?

As long as the tire is pressed against the bump stops and doesn’t move you should be fine.

I have evo cage style, evo body mount and stock.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

It’s pressed up snug. I know the tailgate is safe, I was just kinda concerned about the corners. Is it normal for that seam to crack with larger tires hanging off the tub, or does that happen more from hard use?

My tub is cracked there too. Can’t remember if was before or after I installed an aftermarket tub mounted carrier, but it think it was before. Doesn’t the spot where the two new hinges mount to the tub actually tie into the cage/ frame somehow? I dunno...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

That’s kinda what I was concerned about. Over time will the tub crack there from swinging the gate open too hard or whatnot. I guess it’s not that big a deal, but I’d still prefer to avoid it. I keep kicking around a spare delete, but then it takes up space if you wanna take it with you. And apparently the tub can still crack under certain conditions. Granted corner skins would cover that up.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
I’m not sure the tire or carrier has much to do with it. Here’s my passenger (hinge) side. Obvious “cracking” here:

IMG_9804.jpg

Here’s the driver side (no hinge). Much worse.

IMG_9806.jpg

Edit: although the driver side could be worse from the weight while closing [emoji848]. Maybe I’ll get some corners so the nutserts and help hold it all together. lol.

Last edited:

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
That’s kinda what I was concerned about. Over time will the tub crack there from swinging the gate open too hard or whatnot. I guess it’s not that big a deal, but I’d still prefer to avoid it. I keep kicking around a spare delete, but then it takes up space if you wanna take it with you. And apparently the tub can still crack under certain conditions. Granted corner skins would cover that up.

You could also get a frame mounted carrier if you’re concerned about the weight in the body. I’d do that long before deleting the spare all together.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I’m not sure the tire or carrier has much to do with it. Here’s my passenger (hinge) side. Obvious “cracking” here:

View attachment 339847

Here’s the driver side (no hinge). Much worse.

View attachment 339848

Edit: although the driver side could be worse from the weight while closing [emoji848]. Maybe I’ll get some corners so the nutserts and help hold it all together. lol.

Wow. Damn that’s crazy. I could see slamming it hard enough, enough times could maybe cause an issue. I always cringe when it gets slammed.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Wow. Damn that’s crazy. I could see slamming it hard enough, enough times could maybe cause an issue. I always cringe when it gets slammed.

Meh. We don’t really slam it but the Toyo MT has some weight to it. I’m really not worried about it at all. I’m sure it’s giving a little, but not worried about it coming apart or anything.

Top Bottom