Body Lift Problems

M

MRPJeep

Hi all,

Im having a bit of a strange problem installing a 1" (actually started with a 1.1/4" spacers) lift kit, on my "new" 2013 3.6 Manual JK Rubicon 2Dr.
Every time I install the spacers, I can't select any of my lower (2/4/6/reverse) gears. In fact I can barely change anything....I remove the spacers, drop her back down, and the gears work fine??
Ive searched everywhere I could think of and can't seem to find anyone who has had this problem. Can anyone help me out here?. Am I missing something??

Thanking you all in advance.

Hi all,

Im having a bit of a strange problem installing a 1" (actually started with a 1.1/4" spacers) lift kit, on my "new" 2013 3.6 Manual JK Rubicon 2Dr.
Every time I install the spacers, I can't select any of my lower (2/4/6/reverse) gears. In fact I can barely change anything....I remove the spacers, drop her back down, and the gears work fine??
Ive searched everywhere I could think of and can't seem to find anyone who has had this problem. Can anyone help me out here?. Am I missing something??

Thanking you all in advance.

When you move the body away from the frame you’ve moved the transmission further away which is why you’re having issues and why everyone would’ve told you to do a budget suspension lift instead. There are work around if you’re set on running it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

M

MRPJeep

When you move the body away from the frame you’ve moved the transmission further away which is why you’re having issues and why everyone would’ve told you to do a budget suspension lift instead. There are work around if you’re set on running it.

Hi Snboarder,

Thank you for your reply, Yes I do understand that, but what I can't understand is that according to terraflex videos on u-tube its a simple install with nothing else required??.
I would like to still do it, as I plan on fitting one of their 2.5" spring and shock lift kits and fitting 35's on. The additional 1" Body lift would have just given me a little more room and made it better looking?
Is the work around complicated?

Cheers

You can get a shifter extension, you can also cut up the inner shifter boot, etc.
And since your profile says youre in South Africa im guessing its not as common knowledge, Terraflex is not know for doing anything right, including instructions.

Stolen from Google:
the teraflex does not come with the shifter extension, you will need one, otherwise you will have to permanently run with a hole in the inner shifter boot or without inner boot at all. Because it has a screw, where a clip retains it in place, if no extension is used, the boot will hit the screw on 2,4,6 gears before even engaging, simply because clearance is gone when the boot is on.

Parts that need modification:
Get a 1.25 inch thick (or whatever the height of the BL is) and 7 1/4 inch in diameter piece of cross link polyethylene foam, this will be used to fill the gap between the stock transmission-body seal and the body, so as to get the "sealing" back. No water, heat or other elements getting into the cabin or under the inner shift boot. Not to mention it helps greatly in reducing noise from the transmission and engine compared to using the inner boot itself. Otherwise, you will have a hole, literally a hole in the body for anything to come through.

Inner shifter boot, because its a rubber boot attached to a plastic ring at the bottom, the boot needs to be cut, the ring trimmed down until you can shift to 2,4,6,R without it touching the hard plastic and preventing full engagement, it will still shift on those gears, but any pot hole, it may pop out of gear. After its trimmed down, you need to reglue the boot with epoxy to the trimmed ring.

Before finally putting the inner boot, you have the option to add even more insulation between the seal and the boot. It has to be a soft material, like the rolls sold at home depot that have denim attached to foil. Just make sure its not fiberglass (health hazard) or anything hard otherwise it will hinder the boots movement.

The inner console needs to be trimmed if using the shifter extension, so the inner boot does not contact during imperfect roads.

The outer shifter boot needs to have the left clip on the front, that holds it to the outer console cover and to the inner console, cut. So you can shift in to 1st and 3rd with no problems, otherwise, it will prevent complete engagement of the shifter. It will still shift, but any pot hole, it may pop out of gear.

The inner console needs to be trimmed a bit around where the left clip was supposed to "clip on" to. So the shifter does not contact it and prevent it from having a hole made due to friction.

Seems to be an excessive headache for just an inch. Are you allowed to modify your fenders where you live? Cutting the fenders and a small suspension lift will give you the desired results without having to mess with the headache of body lifts

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Check my Granite Shark thread. You can easily run 35’s with the Rancho 2” sport lift and 3/4” Daystar spacers (spring spacers, not body lift). It’s inexpensive and works fine for 35’s.

I’d ditch the body lift, even more so since it’s from TerrorFlex.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Hi Snboarder,

Thank you for your reply, Yes I do understand that, but what I can't understand is that according to terraflex videos on u-tube its a simple install with nothing else required??.
I would like to still do it, as I plan on fitting one of their 2.5" spring and shock lift kits and fitting 35's on. The additional 1" Body lift would have just given me a little more room and made it better looking?
Is the work around complicated?

Cheers

Teraflex is a dogshit designer/manufacturer... I haven't added a lift yet. But the above recommendations are spot on for a budget build.

Bear_JT

Hooked
You can definitely run 35’s with a simple suspension leveling kit. Like the others have said, ditch the body lift and go for suspension.

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
If I've learned anything from the last two years on this forum, I've learned the usually the recommendations you get here are spot on. Especially when you get so many people saying the same thing. Do yourself a favor and ditch the Body Lift. Its simply the wrong way to go.

jdofmemi

Body lift is not needed on a Jeep, as others stated.

It is of more use on other makes, such as Toyota, where the fenders and wheelwell openings are too small to run larger tires.

Jeep has enough clearance for tires without any kind of body lift, just some fender trimming at most.

bmkrinne

As said above, I wouldn’t mess with the body lift. It’s like sucking titties thru a sweater....

The 2.5” Teraflex lift will be plenty of clearance for the 35’s. I had an AEV 2.5 lift with 2” effective lift running 2.5” bump stops, 5.2” offset wheels with stock fenders and didn’t come close to rubbing on the 315/70r17 BFG’s. I actually just upgraded to 4” EVO plush rides and 37’s. If you were closer I’d hook you up with the goods!!

Good luck, sir!!!!

M

MRPJeep

Hi all, WOW....thank you all so much for the info, its pretty spot on as I forgot to mention that after my first attempt, that foam bootie thing was lying on the floor:shock::shock: I guess i'll just have to cough up for a new one.

OK I've ditched the idea of the body lift....and will be seeking a proper 2.5 inch lift kit, but all I've been able to find here is the terra flex brand so far....but from the sounds of it you guys don't have much faith in that company ?? (how good are their ball joints? as I'm thinking of replacing those soon) ...so ill look around some more. Ive joined our local Jeep club so as soon as I go on an outing I'm sure to find some people with some answers.
But hey....You guys sure do sound like you'r the experts with these vehicles, I'm sure ill be asking you all a lot more:blush: questions....thanks for taking the time to write such awesome replies...much appreciated.

cheers.

wjtstudios

Hooked
As said above, I wouldn’t mess with the body lift. It’s like sucking titties thru a sweater....

The 2.5” Teraflex lift will be plenty of clearance for the 35’s. I had an AEV 2.5 lift with 2” effective lift running 2.5” bump stops, 5.2” offset wheels with stock fenders and didn’t come close to rubbing on the 315/70r17 BFG’s. I actually just upgraded to 4” EVO plush rides and 37’s. If you were closer I’d hook you up with the goods!!

Good luck, sir!!!!

I never would have expected that from you! Awesome response

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Hi all, WOW....thank you all so much for the info, its pretty spot on as I forgot to mention that after my first attempt, that foam bootie thing was lying on the floor:shock::shock: I guess i'll just have to cough up for a new one.

OK I've ditched the idea of the body lift....and will be seeking a proper 2.5 inch lift kit, but all I've been able to find here is the terra flex brand so far....but from the sounds of it you guys don't have much faith in that company ?? (how good are their ball joints? as I'm thinking of replacing those soon) ...so ill look around some more. Ive joined our local Jeep club so as soon as I go on an outing I'm sure to find some people with some answers.
But hey....You guys sure do sound like you'r the experts with these vehicles, I'm sure ill be asking you all a lot more:blush: questions....thanks for taking the time to write such awesome replies...much appreciated.

cheers.

Others with experience with teraflex may be able to give you feedback on their ball joints. I have read about enough bad experiences I'm steering clear of them.

I'm personally looking at the Evo Enforcer 4" lift kit down the line, then will move to long arms at some point after that probably. Rancho also makes some nice budget boosts. I'm sure other members with more real world experience can chime in here. I would think you could buy either brand online, but I don't have any clue what SA's import laws are.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug

cheers.

I’m running the new style teraflex ball joints and have had them on for about 12 months without issue. They weren’t my first choice but options locally were pretty slim.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

M

MRPJeep

HI All

I visited someone today (after a 2hr drive to get there) who sells the rubicon express range of parts, anyone had them or heard of any negatives with their kit?

ps ..looking at the 2.5" kit with mono tube shocks ...:D

Bear_JT

Hooked
Rubicon Express used to be one of the better brands. In my experience, they have a very rough riding spring. If you’re just using spacers, you should be fine.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Again, not a lift expert. You may be able to start with the RE lift kit if it's in the right price range, and add softer shocks to smooth out the ride at a later date (EVO Plush ride coils are what comes to mind).

Top Bottom