Yea.. I F’d up.

FLAVE

So the other night after work I got invited to a little field party out in the sticks. We’ve gotten some rain for the last few days here in southern VA and some ol boys wanted to play around on some four wheelers and what not.

Of course, without fail, 20 mins into being there someone wants me to hit the mud hole that “no one has made it through tonight”. After a few cold snacks I went ahead and dragged through that and after a while ended up high speed bogging the Jeep around the motocross track they have there.

Now to the problem... bout my third lap around that track and being relatively (extremely) hard on the Jeep the CEL came to visit. Instantly rough idle if it will idle. Trans in limp mode it seems. So I hung my head and tucked my tail and limped it home.

Checked her out and looks like

P0016 crankshaft/camshaft timing misalignment-bank 1 sensor 1

P0017 which is the same just sensor 2

Also has bank 1 sensor 1 & 2 slow response.

IMG_0195.jpg

So I went ahead and changed the oil and put both cam position sensors in and removed and cleaned the crank position just for starts and I’m sure you can guess that didn’t work.
Symptoms: rough idle to no idle when put into gear without giving some throttle
No real rattle or anything coming from engine besides shaking from rough running.
Trying to come up with any other plan before I start looking into if she jumped timing or not.

2016 Jeep jk 3.6L auto. 74,000 miles
IMG_0189.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Did the cam chain hop a couple teeth? The fact you were able to limp it home makes me think it didn't get too far off, if that is the cause. Hopefully not far enough to start bending valves... Just a guess based on your codes and the fact it's at least limping along.

FLAVE

Did the cam chain hop a couple teeth? The fact you were able to limp it home makes me think it didn't get too far off, if that is the cause. Hopefully not far enough to start bending valves... Just a guess based on your codes and the fact it's at least limping along.

I guess while being rough with it it managed to skip some. Just going to have to tear it down to see I guess.

FLAVE

Well..... Jeep is still broke down. I did replace the timing chains, tensioners, and guides. Really didn’t fix anything until I replaced the cam phaser actuators on the front of the valve cover. Now she runs fine...... but the dang trans keeps going into limp mode. DTC P1731- incorrect gear engaged is the main one. Borrowed a tcm from the dealer and didn’t fix the problem. This all happened at the same time after some mud. Has thrown a speed sensor no circuit code too. Searching the internet I have found threads on forums that are 3-5 years old where some one found themselves in mud (the devil) and had their trans go limp. I have yet to find one where the issue is rectified. I’m on the verge of sending it to the dealer but warranties and savings for them to do work I can are all long gone. In my eyes it’s got to be a sensor or plug or something electrical that I’m over looking. So I’m being that guy and asking for opinions. Ever had this issue?

Noble Woodsman

I really don't know on this one, but could the incorrect gear code be related to the wheel speed sensors being full of mud? Just spitballing

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Which programmer are you using for tire size and transmission changes? I had an issues with the AEV programmer and my transmission going into limp mode. I had to reset it a few times to get it right.

FLAVE

I really don't know on this one, but could the incorrect gear code be related to the wheel speed sensors being full of mud? Just spitballing

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

I have sprayed them out thinking that, I can read them on JScan and they show working, though that doesn’t mean that’s not the cause.

FLAVE

Which programmer are you using for tire size and transmission changes? I had an issues with the AEV programmer and my transmission going into limp mode. I had to reset it a few times to get it right.

Using OBD jscan on my phone. Has worked fine for tire size and what not. It’s going to go to the dealership as soon as I can find time away from a damn train to trailer it in.

MericaMade

Using OBD jscan on my phone. Has worked fine for tire size and what not. It’s going to go to the dealership as soon as I can find time away from a damn train to trailer it in.

With Jscan make sure you follow the prompts on gear setting correctly. Its like a 3 part confirmation shut down, turn on, enable, and disable a setting for it to reset and take the proper gear assignment. If you don't follow it correctly you will go into limp mode.

Top Bottom