Rear Axles and Ring/Pinion Recommendations for a Non-Rubicon D44 Upgrade

El Burro

Hey gang,

Trying to avoid some tears here, or at least pay once for a change. In the process of assembling parts for a rear axle upgrade to go along with a Dana Ultimate 44 front end, and was looking for suggestions on who makes the best, or at least highly recommended, rear components. Looking at Revolution, Ten Factory, Nitro, Spicer, Yukon, etc.

Replacing ring/pinion as well, along with new Eaton lockers. Would anyone suggest going to a larger spline count as well?

Input appreciated! Thanks.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I run Yukon gears and Ten Factory shafts. I haven’t had any problems with either.

Your spline count options will depend on the locker. Does Eaton offer a 35 spline option?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’ve run both Yukon and Revolution. Both have great warranties. Can’t go wrong with either.

Are you going to add a locker to the rear when you do?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

El Burro

I run Yukon gears and Ten Factory shafts. I haven’t had any problems with either.

Your spline count options will depend on the locker. Does Eaton offer a 35 spline option?

Looks like Eaton is pretty much 30 spline across all the options for D44... ARB would go 35. Thanks for the recommendation!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I ran Yukon and revolution. I feel as tho I have had a more positive experience with the revolutions. I also run their rear shafts.

El Burro

Thanks again for the feedback!

Just added up the costs at the shop, and decided to just go with Ultimate 60’s front/rear. It was roughly $6k more, not including rims, but doing everything once seemed to make the most sense.

What put me over the top was looking at a rig they had on the lift with a Rubicon D44 housing that was trussed, gusseted, and sleeved and was STILL bent. They were swapping a Currie RockJock 60 and I could just hear Eddie’s voice saying you should have just gone with Ultimate 60’s and been done with it.

I’ll let you fellas know how it turns out.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Just added up the costs at the shop, and decided to just go with Ultimate 60’s front/rear. It was roughly $6k more, not including rims, but doing everything once seemed to make the most sense.

What put me over the top was looking at a rig they had on the lift with a Rubicon D44 housing that was trussed, gusseted, and sleeved and was STILL bent. They were swapping a Currie RockJock 60 and I could just hear Eddie’s voice saying you should have just gone with Ultimate 60’s and been done with it.

I’ll let you fellas know how it turns out.

Wow. Bold move. Good on ya.

El Burro

Wow. Bold move. Good on ya.

Thanks. I have no idea what I just jumped into, but I do know you could see the bend in that D44, and someone sunk a lot of $$$$ into it before it bent. Figure it’s got to be like the lift kit... wish I had done that right the first time. :yup:

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Thanks. I have no idea what I just jumped into, but I do know you could see the bend in that D44, and someone sunk a lot of $$$$ into it before it bent. Figure it’s got to be like the lift kit... wish I had done that right the first time. :yup:

Did you go full float rear?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wjtstudios

Hooked
That’s what the spec sheet says. Full float design, housing carries the weight, not the shaft.

Ultimate 60 5.38’s rear p/n 10005942. It’s going to be a fun swap!

Definitely made the right move. You won’t have to upgrade the axles down the line, again.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

El Burro

Nice upgrade! Post some pics after the install.

Definitely made the right move. You won’t have to upgrade the axles down the line, again.

Thanks fellas. It was a really tough decision to make, even though the numbers penciled out every time. A PR 44 was $200 less for the front axle, but factor in FF and the difference in the axle housing, C’s and pinion/ring size and big brakes... Seemed like why buy twice to get something that wouldn’t bend or require another $1k + labor for a brake kit.

I don’t have the 99% of the experience of most anyone on the site, but after listening and watching, i believe it’s the right decision... and it hurts the wallet now to say/do that. So thanks to all for being opinionated in the right way, helping rational folks that don’t want to spend $ on labor/parts over and over and over...

and not just trying to ‘defend the spend’ like on so many other forums. This place is great.

Last edited:

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
That was fast!

I hate when you guys all post up these, and I'm so far from being able to do it.

Just kidding, build away. I will get there some day.

Haha that’s where I’m at. Especially with a damaged ring gear and broken locker in the rear. It would only be another 1.5k or so to go 14b rear but then I add more weight and width. And right now I fit on a uhaul trailer [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom