Mopar “Winter Wheels”

Taumsauk

For years I’ve liked the functional utilitarian style of the steel Mopar Winter Wheels. When a used set of 5 popped up on Craigslist last year for $90 I couldn’t resist. I cleaned them up and painted them to match the anthracite paint of my Shrockworks bumper. Since then, I’ve beaten them up on the local Missouri trails as well as a trip out to Colorado to run the trails around Crested Butte and Ouray/Telluride. I love them. The drawback is their weight. They’re a little heavier than factory rubicon wheels, but that’s a small price to pay for their durability and for the valve stem protection they offer. Oh, and even new, they are cheap! If I recall, they are around $120 each on Mopar’s website.

Now I just need to see if it would be possible to convert these to bead locks! I haven’t started researching this yet, so any tips would be appreciated!

Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

JKbrick

There are diy beadlock kits but those wheels look like they would be tough to convert since the center sticks out farther than the outer bead

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Taumsauk

@JKBrick I think you are correct that the centers stick out past the outer edge of the bead. I’ll put a straight edge on it tomorrow to verify. Would that be too difficult to attempt to overcome? IIRC isn’t the outer edge of the bead removed when doing diy bead locks anyway?

IMG_2038.jpg

JKbrick

@JKBrick I think you are correct that the centers stick out past the outer edge of the bead. I’ll put a straight edge on it tomorrow to verify. Would that be too difficult to attempt to overcome? IIRC isn’t the outer edge of the bead removed when doing diy bead locks anyway?

View attachment 339795

It could be, I honestly don’t know. I always assumed to be diy it was a set of rings you weld to your wheel. I suppose not everyone could cut the outer bead off straight but not everyone can weld either, interesting to look in to. I would sure want to trust the welder doing the install

Taumsauk

It could be, I honestly don’t know. I always assumed to be diy it was a set of rings you weld to your wheel. I suppose not everyone could cut the outer bead off straight but not everyone can weld either, interesting to look in to. I would sure want to trust the welder doing the install

Looks like a rabbit hole I’ll enjoy diving down into! Thanks for your input!

Top Bottom