EVO Enforcer lower control arms install question

paul_arc

Hey all,

I am installing my EVO Enforcer 3" stage 3 suspension kit.
The problem I am having is that on the front lower control arm, the adjustment sleeve is hitting the control arm mount on the axle side before the shocks get to fully extended.
The adjustment sleeve is turned out 2.5 times, which is 1/4" gap between the end of the control arm tube and the hex nut on the adjustment sleeve.
The Johnny joint has 5/8" of threads showing.

The front shocks I have are the Rancho 9000XL RS999331
Extended length of the shocks are 27.32".

The adjustment sleeve hits the control arm mount at around 26.5" of extension.

What would be the correct thing to do?
- Turn in the adjustment sleeve and extend the Johnny joint so it doesn't hit.
- Trim the control arm mount so the adjustment sleeve hex nut doesn't hit.
- Something else?

20200107_133137 (1).jpg

Hey all,

The problem I am having is that on the front lower control arm, the adjustment sleeve is hitting the control arm mount on the axle side before the shocks get to fully extended.
The adjustment sleeve is turned out 2.5 times, which is 1/4" gap between the end of the control arm tube and the hex nut on the adjustment sleeve.

- Something else?

View attachment 339825

Welcome to Wayalife!
I’m sure others will chime in as well but the pictures you posted don’t seem to have the shock bolted in... so a few questions... is it happening on one side or both?
Are you positive that both arms are the exact same length when bolted up?
Install everything as described in the install instructions including track bar and any relocation brackets. Shocks bumps etc. Then cycle the suspension and check for clearance.

If you are still having this issue then start by adjusting the sleeve in a touch and the joint out just a bit also. Tighten down the pinch bolt and check clearance. Paying special attention to your castor setting. If needed then yes, trim the control arm mount.

Again I’m sure others will comment. Lots of good info from this community. But that is how I would solve it if it were my rig.

Your 26.5” number seems long. I’m 22 3/4” at bolt centers... plenty of clearance on mine..

View attachment 339835

View attachment 339836

Yeah I was also thinking that. At that length his castor is gonna be fuuuuucked! Which would explain the clearance issue. The axle is rotated so far backwards that the mount is pointed down more than it should. Shortening them up would get the axle rotated forward a bit and create some room.

OP double check your measurements. Measure your old arms and then compare that to what the install instructions say. For a 3” your front lowers aren’t going to be much longer than your factory lowers. Again... make sure you start with them at the same length left and right and double triple check your measurements. From bolt center to bolt center. I’d start around 22-7/8 maybe 23” max on both sides, bolt them up and adjust for castor from there. Then check clearance with the shocks bolted up and the track bar installed.

Last edited:

TrailHunter

Hooked
Yeah I was also thinking that. At that length his castor is gonna be fuuuuucked! Which would explain the clearance issue. The axle is rotated so far backwards that the mount is pointed down more than it should. Shortening them up would get the axle rotated forward a bit and create some room.

OP double check your measurements. Measure your old arms and then compare that to what the install instructions say. For a 3” your front lowers aren’t going to be much longer than your factory lowers. Again... make sure you start with them at the same length left and right and double triple check your measurements. From bolt center to bolt center. I’d start around 22-7/8 maybe 23” max on both sides, bolt them up and adjust for castor from there. Then check clearance with the shocks bolted up and the track bar installed.

I'm guessing OP is measuring end to end not bolt centers... so not that far off, but still too long.... and like you said, gotta have shocks connected because that's what limits travel. So if he corrects those 2 things, it should be fine.

paul_arc

Sorry, I should have been a little more clear. The 26.5" number is how far extension the shock would be. If the shock is 27.32" at the mounting points, I then dropped the axle down to make sure full extension of the shock nothing is hitting.

I measured all my control arms on the work bench, so the left and right are identical. I put the front lowers at 23.25" from bolt to bolt. and the front uppers at 19" bolt to bolt. Those numbers are from the install instructions from EVO as my "starting numbers".

That picture I posted is where contact is happening when the axle is dropped down 26.5" measured from shock mounting points.

I have measured the caster at 4.5* with the 4 new control arms installed.

So far, as far as I have gone with the install is to remove all 4 front control arms, front coils, front shocks, and install the new control arms.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Sorry, I should have been a little more clear. The 26.5" number is how far extension the shock would be. If the shock is 27.32" at the mounting points, I then dropped the axle down to make sure full extension of the shock nothing is hitting.

I measured all my control arms on the work bench, so the left and right are identical. I put the front lowers at 23.25" from bolt to bolt. and the front uppers at 19" bolt to bolt. Those numbers are from the install instructions from EVO as my "starting numbers".

That picture I posted is where contact is happening when the axle is dropped down 26.5" measured from shock mounting points.

So far, as far as I have gone with the install is to remove all 4 front control arms, front coils, front shocks, and install the new control arms.

Hmm.. I’m not sure then.. tonight I’ll measure my uppers (which are stock) and how far the adjuster nut sits away from the tube on the lowers... and double check which Rancho Shock I have.

I do remember during install I was worried about it hitting as well.. but once I had it all together it looked fine and I see nothing rubbing after many trips being fully flexed.

paul_arc

Hmm.. I’m not sure then.. tonight I’ll measure my uppers (which are stock) and how far the adjuster nut sits away from the tube on the lowers... and double check which Rancho Shock I have.

I do remember during install I was worried about it hitting as well.. but once I had it all together it looked fine and I see nothing rubbing after many trips being fully flexed.

Those measurements would be great, thanks!

MericaMade

Hey all,

- Something else?

View attachment 339825
Are all your shocks, track bar, and steering hooked up? Or are you letting it drop out further than it would without everything else connected?

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

MericaMade

I have the same upper and lower measurements top and bottom as you.

This is what mine looks like. 20200109_170008.jpg 20200109_135856.jpg

paul_arc

Are all your shocks, track bar, and steering hooked up? Or are you letting it drop out further than it would without everything else connected?

I have the stock track bar and steering still hooked up. I have a new Synergy draglink and bracket to raise the track bar but they aren't on yet. (Could this be the problem?). I have the springs and shocks off so I can raise and lower the axle easy with the new control arms to check for binding/ contact. I didn't lower the axle lower than the length of my new shocks and am getting contact.

I have the same upper and lower measurements top and bottom as you.

This is what mine looks like. View attachment 339864 View attachment 339865

What front shocks do you have? When you extend your axle all the way, there isn't any contact?

I have the stock track bar and steering still hooked up. I have a new Synergy draglink and bracket to raise the track bar but they aren't on yet. (Could this be the problem?). I have the springs and shocks off so I can raise and lower the axle easy with the new control arms to check for binding/ contact. I didn't lower the axle lower than the length of my new shocks and am getting contact.

What front shocks do you have? When you extend your axle all the way, there isn't any contact?

For sure bolt everything on... shocks springs track bar/bracket drag link etc. get it all in and THEN cycle the suspension. You’ll be surprised how much down travel is limited by things like shocks and the front track bar. Even though you aren’t lowering it more than the length of your shocks, the axle won’t drop to the full travel of the shocks. There are other factors.

MericaMade

I have the King 2.5s but dont have measurements offhand. I do remeber at full drop out without everything bolted up it would touch and that worried me but as you can see in the pictures they are not hitting.
For sure bolt everything on... shocks springs track bar/bracket drag link etc. get it all in and THEN cycle the suspension. You’ll be surprised how much down travel is limited by things like shocks and the front track bar. Even though you aren’t lowering it more than the length of your shocks, the axle won’t drop to the full travel of the shocks. There are other factors.
Do this ^^^ and check again.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
My front shocks are:

RS999329

Rear shocks are:

RS999330

I think your shocks are too long.

RS999331 is what I have on the 3” kit. No contact. OP, like others have said, triple check starting measurements per instructions. Do not even attempt to cycle suspension until everything is where it should be. Really the control arms shouldn’t even be torqued until you’re at ride height. Just finish the install and work the measurements from there.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Oh, cool... 331 is for 4” of lift... do your springs get loose at full droop?

Nope. Never had any issues with it since the install. Didn’t even know that it was for the 4” until you mentioned it and I looked it up. I ordered the wrong ones but it’s been working for the last 2 years or so.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

paul_arc

Interesting. The RS999331 are the shocks it automatically set me up with when I bought the lift kit. I looked it up and it is for a 4" lift.
The measurements for the RS999329 will be able to drop the axle without contact.

It is good to know the RS999331 work without the front springs coming loose.

It looks like what I need to do is install the rest of the kit as suggested then cycle everything. I'll plan to return the 331 shocks and get the 329 shocks.
Then get the thing out on the trail :thumb:

TrailHunter

Hooked
Interesting. The RS999331 are the shocks it automatically set me up with when I bought the lift kit. I looked it up and it is for a 4" lift.
The measurements for the RS999329 will be able to drop the axle without contact.

It is good to know the RS999331 work without the front springs coming loose.

It looks like what I need to do is install the rest of the kit as suggested then cycle everything. I'll plan to return the 331 shocks and get the 329 shocks.
Then get the thing out on the trail :thumb:

I don’t know now... seems like the 4” shocks are working for AINOKEA..... maybe I’m missing out on a couple inches of down travel.. Lol... maybe look into it some more first.

And Welcome to Wayalife by the way.. you can introduce yourself in The Wave section. [emoji1417]

Last edited:
Top Bottom