2015 jkuhr

bfewkwa

Like most of you, I’ve had Jeeps off and on for years. I thought it might be fun to share some of my past rigs and document our current set up as we start building it up.

My first Jeep was a 1997 Sahara Edition TJ:

DSCN1134.jpg

I drove it for several years until my wife and I were expecting our first child. After driving a few responsible family vehicles, I got the bug to get another Jeep. So, I picked up a nice 2004 Rubicon TJ:

096_XTI_IMG_0682.jpg

It was set up with a 5.5 inch long arm suspension on 35s with lots of goodies. We enjoyed the Rubicon for about 8 years and drove it all over SW CO and Moab.

XTI_IMG_1584.jpg

I finally decided to upgrade to a JKU back in 2017 and found a nice used 2015 Rubicon Hard Rock:

Adjustments.jpg
2088 (1).jpg

For the last couple years I’ve kept it completely stock while I considered ways to make it a little more capable. I’ve been really impressed with the JKU in factory trim, but have grown tired of always wishing I had a bit more clearance when we are out running trails.

This is my daily driver, so the plan is to keep it mild. After reading a lot here, I decided on the EVO Leveling kit, some spacers and 33s...or maybe some flat fenders and 35s. I’m going to have to build this up in stages over time, so we’ll see how far we go.

The only other accessory we have is a 1951 M100 trailer we use for hauling our camping gear. When I bought it, it was a basket case with a homemade axle, the world’s softest springs and retrofitted hitch.

010.jpg

Last year I got it built up with a new axle and some matching JKUHR wheels, and it now tows perfect following the Jeep straight and true:

IMG_0115.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

bfewkwa

Last weekend I had a chance to stick the 1.5 inch spacers on. I can’t believe how much better the Jeep looks with just moving the tires out to fill up the wheel wells. I should have done this when I first bought it.

Before & After:
IMG_1988.jpg
IMG_1992.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg
IMG_1996.jpg

It is probably just a placebo effect, but I also think the extra width from the spacers makes the Jeep corner a bit flatter.

The EVO Leveling kit is going on Sunday afternoon. Can’t wait to get rid of the factory rake.

bfewkwa

With the help of a couple of Jeeping friends who were kind enough to lend a hand, their nice tools and a warm shop, I was able to get the EVO Leveling kit installed yesterday. I know there are a ton of photos documenting the kit on the site, but when I was looking I didn't find many Hard Rocks with stock bumpers to get a good feel for how mine would end up. Figured these might help someone else along the way.

Before & After Side View:
IMG_2004.jpg
IMG_2011.jpg

Also, took some quick measurements at the fender flares and rock rails.

Rear Fender Flare Before & After:
IMG_2006.jpg
IMG_2009.jpg

First impressions, this was a great option for removing the factory rake and allowing me to step up in tire size. I expect the springs to settle in a bit and likely soften up, but I'm pleased with the ride right out of the box.

Now, I can start thinking about tire options. From reading the forum, I know I can clear 35s with flat flares, but part of me wants to keep the factory flares and a more stock look. Any advice from those who have run the kit as to what size tires they ran with stock flares? It just seems (visually) like there should be enough clearance for something bigger than a 33, like a 295/70R17. Any advice from those who have run this kit with stock flares?

Front Fender Flare Before & After:
IMG_2005.jpg
IMG_2008.jpg

Rails Before & After:
IMG_2007.jpg
IMG_2010.jpg

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
My brother-in-law runs 35s with a 2” lift and stock fenders. He’ll rub a little at full flex, but nothing that ever worried him.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

bfewkwa

I’ve been meaning to update this thread to document the modest build of my JKU in case they could help someone else. Got quite a bit of work done during the last few months.

First I decided to go with a set of 315/70R17 BFG KO2s. Price was the biggest factor. I’ve always run the Goodyear Duratracs on my Jeeps, but was excited to try the BFGs. Here’s a before/after tire install with only the EVO leveling kit and spacers.

Adjustments.jpg
IMG_2110.jpg

Running that tire size, I wanted to be sure I was set up with a good spare carrier and went with the AEV unit since my Hard Rock bumpers were made to work with it.

Adjustments.jpg

Fenders were the next issue to address. Luckily I’ve got a Jeeping buddy who works at a local dealership in the paint shop. He hooked me up with a set of custom cut & painted flares. I dig the custom look and think they set the Jeep apart.

Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
IMG_2251.jpg

I don’t plan to do much more to the JKU except get it out and enjoy it. I’m a little concerned about rubbing a rear tire on the pinch seam at full stuff and may have to think about some small bump stops.

Finally got to take advantage of living in SW CO today. A small group of us went up to Silverton and ran Corkscrew pass and Brown’s Mountain. Couldn’t ask for a better way to spend Father’s Day.

Adjustments.jpg
Adjustments.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom