Shock Recommendations for Synergy Stage 4 LA Kit

Noble Woodsman

I'm planning to install a 3" Lift Synergy Stage 4 Long Arm Kit on my 2015 JKUR, and I'm wondering what experience folks have with various shock options for this kit (or more specifically, with these Synergy coils). Synergy offers several shock options, all from Fox, but I think I read somewhere on here that there are Rancho and other options that perform better. My rig weighs 6000 lbs without passengers or gear and I will be running 37" tires with this lift. For reference, I enjoy the stiffness of the current OEM ride, but I am also open to something slightly softer. The jeep is a daily driver, and is used offroad on washboard roads (at less than 30 mph) and also slow rock crawling. I'm leaning toward 2.5" diameter shocks, due to the vehicle weight and am also considering shocks with adjustable dampening. I prefer to spend less than $2k total on shocks, if possible. What experiences can you share? Thank you!

fiend

Caught the Bug
Not exactly apples to apples, but I’ve been running Synergy’s 4.5” coils with short arms and Bilstein 5100 shocks for years. The ride seems pretty good to me, although I haven’t really ridden much in others people’s rigs to make a comparison. If I did more washboards or high speed stuff I’d probably go with a reservoir shock, but for driving freeways and mountain roads to rock crawl, my set up has worked well. Mine’s not a daily driver ...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm planning to install a 3" Lift Synergy Stage 4 Long Arm Kit on my 2015 JKUR, and I'm wondering what experience folks have with various shock options for this kit (or more specifically, with these Synergy coils). Synergy offers several shock options, all from Fox, but I think I read somewhere on here that there are Rancho and other options that perform better. My rig weighs 6000 lbs without passengers or gear and I will be running 37" tires with this lift. For reference, I enjoy the stiffness of the current OEM ride, but I am also open to something slightly softer. The jeep is a daily driver, and is used offroad on washboard roads (at less than 30 mph) and also slow rock crawling. I'm leaning toward 2.5" diameter shocks, due to the vehicle weight and am also considering shocks with adjustable dampening. I prefer to spend less than $2k total on shocks, if possible. What experiences can you share? Thank you!

Being that you're on a budget, it's hard to beat a set of Rancho 9000's as they are affordable and are adjustable. Ride quality is 100% subjective but in my opinion, they offer a better or should I say, more comfortable all around daily ride or at least, when compared to a monotube shock. Where they fall short is driving hard and fast in rough terrain for long periods of time. In these situations, they will start to fade and wear out prematurely. This is where a monotube shock like Fox will do better. Based on what I'm hearing from you, a set of Ranchos might be worth giving a try especially if you get them during one of their sales.

Noble Woodsman

Thanks for the feedback guys! I forgot about Bilstein, so I'm glad they were also suggested. I was already leaning toward the rancho 9000,and the more I look into it, the more they seem like a good fit for my situation. Now I just need them to go on sale!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

bmkrinne

I recently placed my Bilstein 5100s with Rancho 9000s when increasing my lift height. Price was the deciding factor since Rancho had a special. I liked the Bilstein shocks and really couldn’t tell much of a difference compared to the Ranchos on the middle adjustable setting. After playing around with them, I really do like the Rancho more with their adjustability. Really makes a difference off road with the EVO plush rides. Almost soaks up the bumps.

Noble Woodsman

I recently placed my Bilstein 5100s with Rancho 9000s when increasing my lift height. Price was the deciding factor since Rancho had a special. I liked the Bilstein shocks and really couldn’t tell much of a difference compared to the Ranchos on the middle adjustable setting. After playing around with them, I really do like the Rancho more with their adjustability. Really makes a difference off road with the EVO plush rides. Almost soaks up the bumps.

Ya, i like the adjustability option too. I don't have much experience with shock brands and designs, so i think the adjustability will help me get a better feel for what range of ride quality is out there and also increase the likelihood that i can dial it in to something i like.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug

Do you remember which setting the ranchos came on? I got mine on but they’re super tight to adjust and I can barely get either to turn more than 1 or 2 clicks

Top Bottom