JL vs Cheap new 2018 JK

Went to the dealer the other day to look for a new 2020 JL. He has 3, 2018 brand new JK's for sale at $10,999 off MSRP. Are the new JL's worth the extra money or should I consider a cheaper new JK?

Ddays

Hooked
Went to the dealer the other day to look for a new 2020 JL. He has 3, 2018 brand new JK's for sale at $10,999 off MSRP. Are the new JL's worth the extra money or should I consider a cheaper new JK?

Have you driven a JL so you can compare the two? The 8 speed auto completely changes how the 3.6 in the JL performs. Driving the JL shows how aged the JK's are now. They're basically a 13 year old design with some tweaks. $11k off of a JK isn't anything to sneeze at though.

Honestly, if the JK's are anything other than Rubicons, I'd probably opt for the JL :twocents:

Have you driven a JL so you can compare the two? The 8 speed auto completely changes how the 3.6 in the JL performs. Driving the JL shows how aged the JK's are now. They're basically a 13 year old design with some tweaks. $11k off of a JK isn't anything to sneeze at though.

Honestly, if the JK's are anything other than Rubicons, I'd probably opt for the JL :twocents:

Thanks D- The JK's are Rubicons which makes my decision harder. Appreciate your input.

WJCO

Meme King

Have you driven a JL Automatic yet like Ddays asked? I think it will change the way you look at things.

uberc4

I wouldnt even look at MSRP. Go for invoice, better yet if you have treadlightly you can get 1% below invoice.

JL’s are apparently more capable than the JK platform. It would be nice to have that 8 speed!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

DMF

JL is to a JK is like a JK is to a TJ. it’s that much different imo.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I bought a 2017 JKU in 2018, they discounted it about that much. I regret not going with a JL after the fact, but they didn't have any JLs on the lot that were optioned the way I wanted. And I needed a new car, the transmission was going out on my old POS ford.

Edit: I still love my jeep, don't get me wrong. But I should have just waited or ordered a JL that I wanted. Won't really matter in 10 years when I do a ls swap though!

JKbrick

I bought a 2017 JKU in 2018, they discounted it about that much. I regret not going with a JL after the fact, but they didn't have any JLs on the lot that were optioned the way I wanted. And I needed a new car, the transmission was going out on my old POS ford.

Edit: I still love my jeep, don't get me wrong. But I should have just waited or ordered a JL that I wanted. Won't really matter in 10 years when I do a ls swap though!

They won’t have the kinks worked out yet in 10 years [emoji51]

Primo82

Caught the Bug
They won’t have the kinks worked out yet in 10 years [emoji51]

Kinks with LS Swaps? Could be wrong but it looks like Eddie and others have had decent luck with theirs, maybe a few electrical gremlins. I would hope the recipe is pretty much set in 10 years when I'm ready.

I was also worried about buying any problems caused by first year production jitters on the JL. Which it seemed like there were a few.

trailraider

I personally think 11k off a NEW vehicle they still have sitting on the lot from 3 years ago isn't enough. 21's will be rolling onto the lots in the next 4-5 months.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As others have mentioned, test drive a JL with a 3.6L and automatic transmission and I think that'll decide everything for you.

uberc4

What’s that ?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

If you do the $100 membership, you will be eligible to use the FCA US Affiliates Rewards. This will give you 1% below invoice, and give a 1% kickback to the dealership. Note that you have to be a member for 30 days in order to use this perk.

Some dealerships are oblivious to this program so they may push back on you trying to use this. It works, thats how I bought my jeep awhile back.

WJCO

Meme King
If you do the $100 membership, you will be eligible to use the FCA US Affiliates Rewards. This will give you 1% below invoice, and give a 1% kickback to the dealership. Note that you have to be a member for 30 days in order to use this perk.

Some dealerships are oblivious to this program so they may push back on you trying to use this. It works, thats how I bought my jeep awhile back.

181gff.jpg

You may even receive a complimentary pair of gold-painted 1980s plastic sunglasses.

IMG_20191206_172634_011.jpg

Top Bottom