New to us Jeep project

Petej

My apologies for dropping off the map.

Between buying our house on the SW Washington coast and working full time, plus some I’ve left the board high and dry in the meantime.

A few weeks ago we bought a well used and abused 1994 ZJ.

Code name: Castiel.

He is a joint project between my wife and I. She wants to learn and I’m willing to teach.

Laredo trim
318ci V8
42RE trans
NP249
D30/35
3” skyjacker lift
33” mud terrain tires.

We are going to be restomodding this one. It came to us with a lift kit and 33” tires already installed.

Our hopes are to use the ZJ as a road trip vehicle for mild excursions, but mainly as a medical transport vehicle for my mother in law. We don’t know how long she has left, but we want her to be comfortable.

I’m not gonna lie, he’s in rough shape right now. Interior stripped out, some poorly done electrical work that can be readily and easily corrected, there’s various bits missing here and there, but are easily found in most wrecking yards.

Tonight started the official clean up of the interior parts now that I’ve verified that the wire harness is intact and in need of some repairs to be made in the morning during daylight hours.

I brought in the door cards and center console from the shed to clean them up and ready them for reinstallation in the coming weeks.

He’ll need a lower core support, front and rear bumpers, either a replacement air filter box or a cold air intake kit, some body work, every bit of maintenance imaginable and a whole lot of cleaning.

Engine runs strong and smooth, transmission needs a flush, but should come out fine in the end. Needs to be geared for the 33’s if we don’t drop down to 31’s.

Brakes feel good, but like the rest of him, will be thoroughly gone through.

I guess working at a parts house and prior experience working for Detroit Diesel as a tech Is working in my favor.

Castiel needs a lot of love.

Stay tuned, there’s updates for Red Wagon as well, including an oops that ended up in her taking a nap on her side during a trail run last year. 😱 While body damage was minimal, my pride was well bruised.

Attachments

• 1BB84E5A-14BC-4137-B809-D4F850BDEFD8.jpg
    1BB84E5A-14BC-4137-B809-D4F850BDEFD8.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 129
  • 7B05D601-C127-46EB-B228-562C53886A2C.jpg
    7B05D601-C127-46EB-B228-562C53886A2C.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 130

Petej

This morning was spent on visual inspection of the harness from Underhood to inner body. The doors have broken wires inside the rubber boots, these will be an easy repair.

The stereo wiring has been cut, but again it will be an easy repair.

The amp is present under the back seat, but bypass plugs have been installed, I’ll have to pull it and inspect for damage to the boards inside before I put it back in circuit again.

i will have to run some new wiring to eliminate the wires that were damaged from the previous idiots, but everything except the radio harness looks intact.

Tomorrow evening I will dive into testing each and every wire with a DVOM now that I have a copy of the FSM.

I’m not putting a battery into this Jeep again until I know why all three main fuses (that are present) were blown and then bypassed.

Petej

Looks like a good project!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Have fun with that. Sounds like you have a little work on your hands. Good times!

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thank you folks!

I’ve put Castiel in long term storage until spring when the rains have stopped here in Washington. I’m working outside with no cover until I get at least a carport built.

Battery brought in the house and placed on a tender, Fuel drained from the tank so I can drop it and replace the pump, water (yes only water) drained from from the cooling system as the heater core will need to be replaced come spring, so I elected store him dry since he’s not going anywhere.

I’m waiting on some parts as well. What I need to know: is there a lower support bracket under the radiator? Mine is just flopping in the breeze and it looks like there should be a lower cross bar under the radiator by the shadow I can see on the frame rails where something used to be.

I mentioned he’s in rough shape, right?

Top Bottom