Would you buy a repaired salvage Jeep?

federally

My wife wants a Jeep. This will be our 2nd Wrangler and 3rd vehicle over all. So I've been shopping for used Unlimited Rubicons, when I found this listing

https://www.repairablevehiclesnd.co...ed/2014/Bismarck/North-Dakota/5041253/19ND10E

Now that Jeep used to look like this

https://en.bidfax.info/jeep/wrangle...imite-2014-red-36l-vin-1c4bjwfgxel279878.html

I'm a bit paranoid about buying a vehicle that used to be that banged up. However this place specializes in these things, they aren't trying to hide anything, they priced it pretty appropriately imo, and they have a good reputation.

Is this a bad idea or a pretty good deal on a Jeep that would otherwise cost me north of $30k?

MericaMade

My wife wants a Jeep. This will be our 2nd Wrangler and 3rd vehicle over all. So I've been shopping for used Unlimited Rubicons, when I found this listing

https://www.repairablevehiclesnd.co...ed/2014/Bismarck/North-Dakota/5041253/19ND10E

Now that Jeep used to look like this

https://en.bidfax.info/jeep/wrangle...imite-2014-red-36l-vin-1c4bjwfgxel279878.html

I'm a bit paranoid about buying a vehicle that used to be that banged up. However this place specializes in these things, they aren't trying to hide anything, they priced it pretty appropriately imo, and they have a good reputation.

Is this a bad idea or a pretty good deal on a Jeep that would otherwise cost me north of $30k?

Nope, I would never buy salvage.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Contact your insurance company before going this route. Insurance may be tough to get. Also do some homework at your state’s DMV website. I would not be surprised to see specific regulations about registering salvaged or “rebuilt” vehicles, such as a potential need for an inspection, certificate, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Only reason to buy a salvage, IMO, is if you never plan on having it as a road legal vehicle. If you wanna make it a hardcore wheeler and trailer it everywhere then a salvage would work in your favor. To daily tho, never

For around 5k saved? No way. But looking at it. They only reused frame and drivetrain really and some other bits. Tub, doors, cage, etc all replaced off another salvaged vehicle. Dropped another 10k I’d say worth a look.
Also I don’t know what state you’re in and title/insurance laws.
Here in Michigan it would after inspection be given a “rebuilt” title instead of a “salvage” which is insurable, but not all companies will

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

CalSgt

Hooked
Only reason to buy a salvage, IMO, is if you never plan on having it as a road legal vehicle. If you wanna make it a hardcore wheeler and trailer it everywhere then a salvage would work in your favor. To daily tho, never

Only time I would consider a salvage would be to buy wrecked & do repairs myself, also i believe it is difficult to get financing on salvaged vehicles which makes them hard to sell if you ever want to get rid of it.

Exodus 4x4

Here’s my thoughts and why... If you were buying it from Copart and doing the work yourself then it’s not bad, IF you get it for the right price. Reason I say this is because I had a guy hit me up the day after Thanksgiving because he had won the auction at our local Copart and he lives in Kansas City. It was a 2018 Recon edition with around 30k miles. Unfortunately the steering gear box broke at the sector shaft and they couldn’t drive it on the transport for obvious reason. We agreed to take a look so he had it towed and dropped off at the shop. Someone hit the passenger tire and the impact broke the sector shaft, slightly bent the axle, and folded the passenger side control arms. The lower control arm mount on the frame was damaged but only the bracket, not the frame itself. We took an old steering gear box we had and swapped it out, replaced the control arms with some takeoffs, and within a couple hours we were driving it up and down the street.

I think he paid $20k for it. I charged him $1k parts and labor to get it driveable for the transport. Synergy frame brackets are like $75 and a new J8 housing is about $1300. The rest of the Jeep was immaculate and undamaged. If he corrects the rest of the damage himself he will have a very clean Jeep for himself for a not a lot of money and as long as he keeps it for himself, nobody will be the wiser.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Here’s my thoughts and why... If you were buying it from Copart and doing the work yourself then it’s not bad, IF you get it for the right price. Reason I say this is because I had a guy hit me up the day after Thanksgiving because he had won the auction at our local Copart and he lives in Kansas City. It was a 2018 Recon edition with around 30k miles. Unfortunately the steering gear box broke at the sector shaft and they couldn’t drive it on the transport for obvious reason. We agreed to take a look so he had it towed and dropped off at the shop. Someone hit the passenger tire and the impact broke the sector shaft, slightly bent the axle, and folded the passenger side control arms. The lower control arm mount on the frame was damaged but only the bracket, not the frame itself. We took an old steering gear box we had and swapped it out, replaced the control arms with some takeoffs, and within a couple hours we were driving it up and down the street.

I think he paid $20k for it. I charged him $1k parts and labor to get it driveable for the transport. Synergy frame brackets are like $75 and a new J8 housing is about $1300. The rest of the Jeep was immaculate and undamaged. If he corrects the rest of the damage himself he will have a very clean Jeep for himself for a not a lot of money and as long as he keeps it for himself, nobody will be the wiser.

Did you get frame measurements to confirm that it wasn’t shifted and not bent?

federally

For around 5k saved? No way. But looking at it. They only reused frame and drivetrain really and some other bits. Tub, doors, cage, etc all replaced off another salvaged vehicle. Dropped another 10k I’d say worth a look.
Also I don’t know what state you’re in and title/insurance laws.
Here in Michigan it would after inspection be given a “rebuilt” title instead of a “salvage” which is insurable, but not all companies will

Well based on KBB in my area it's closer to $10k saved.

Also in ND after an inspection you turn in your salvage title, pay $5 and get a normal title back.

Well based on KBB in my area it's closer to $10k saved.

Also in ND after an inspection you turn in your salvage title, pay $5 and get a normal title back.

Hmm strange. If that’s true then why wouldn’t the rebuilder have already swapped the title and sell as just another used Jeep. Or did they? Either way discount isn’t deep enough for that amount of work. If it was like the one exodus mentioned and discounted to that, then yeah but the extent the one you’re looking at- I wouldn’t for that price.

Exodus 4x4

Did you get frame measurements to confirm that it wasn’t shifted and not bent?

No. Considering how it was only hit on the tire and nowhere else I think it’s unlikely the frame was bent, especially in that section of the frame. Besides, I was just hired to fix it well enough to steer.

federally

Hmm strange. If that’s true then why wouldn’t the rebuilder have already swapped the title and sell as just another used Jeep. Or did they? Either way discount isn’t deep enough for that amount of work. If it was like the one exodus mentioned and discounted to that, then yeah but the extent the one you’re looking at- I wouldn’t for that price.

I must not have explained it correctly.

In its current state the Jeep has a clean title. Just it used to be salvage after a roll over.

But otherwise I think you're probably right. It should have a steeper discount.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If it was salvaged it still is salvaged. It does t change since you fixed it. Wtf?

Top Bottom