Climate control hot or cold

kpig

Have been away for a while but back again with a new Gladiator Sport S with max tow. Already ordered the Evo coilover kit but now having a problem with the climate control. When I get in on cold mornings, I noticed that the heater is blazing hot on all temp settings (manual mode). The only way to get cold air is to set it at the lowest temp. If I raise the temp by one degree, it blows blazing hot air. Then I just turn everything off in frustration. Dropped it off at the dealership today and explained the issue. Got a call from the service writer who said the technician could not replicate the problem said that was normal. It only does this for the first 30 min on cold mornings, so it does not surprise me that they could not replicate the problem after I drove an hour to drop it off. The GM of the dealership is going to start another JT tomorrow morning to compare.

Looking to the Wayalife community for some insight or feedback if anyone else has experienced this issue.

Thanks in advance. Good to be back.

Last edited:

Bear_JT

Hooked
Welcome back. Congrats on the Gladiator. That doesn’t sound normal. Hopefully you get it sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

kpig

Welcome back. Congrats on the Gladiator. That doesn’t sound normal. Hopefully you get it sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Thanks. I'm hopeful the GM can replicate it. He has been very helpful tempering my frustration.

WJCO

Meme King
That blows. Literally. Do you have the standard small screen or did you upgrade? That's what I have (standard screen) and have had no issues at all with climate control. I will say on the hottest setting though, it is really hot though.

Last edited:

kpig

That blows. Literally. Do you have the standard small screen or did you upgrade? That's what I have (standard screen) and have had no issues at all with climate control. I will say on the hottest setting though, it is really hot though.

I have the 7 inch screen. I'm on the phone with the tech. He says he has many complaints from JL's with similar issue. I hope this is fixed. On many days it's like having two settings, blazing hot or freezing cold, no in between.

kpig

Well.....no luck. The GM at the dealership drove 2 more Gladiators in the cold morning and they both did the same thing. They presume the issue is with the software. Hmmmm. Hopefully, someone will come up with a fix.

WJCO

Meme King
Well.....no luck. The GM at the dealership drove 2 more Gladiators in the cold morning and they both did the same thing. They presume the issue is with the software. Hmmmm. Hopefully, someone will come up with a fix.

If you turn off the vehicle and re-start it, is the symptom still there? Similar to rebooting a computer?

kpig

If you turn off the vehicle and re-start it, is the symptom still there? Similar to rebooting a computer?

Yes. The symptom is still there but only when the ambient temperature is cold. The dealership has identified that the vehicle tends to regulate the relative temperature in manual mode based upon the ambient external temperature. So below 45 degrees for example, the system blows hotter air when set to 61 degrees in manual mode and cooler air set at the same 61 degrees in manual mode when ambient external temp is above 50 degrees. They were able to replicate the issue on 2 other Gladiators. I wouldnt have believed it, but it happened. In the end, I can still get hot and cold when needed. It's just a bit annoying.

Thanks for the help.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Mine does this too. I've found that I have to use the auto function in the climate control and set it to a reasonable temp, 68-72 deg. Usually somewhere in that rage gets me the air temp I want blowing from the vents. In manual mode it's too finicky.

kpig

Mine does this too. I've found that I have to use the auto function in the climate control and set it to a reasonable temp, 68-72 deg. Usually somewhere in that rage gets me the air temp I want blowing from the vents. In manual mode it's too finicky.

Thanks for the confirmation. At least I know I'm not alone.

Top Bottom