CA - 2014 JK 2 Dr Rock crawling Exhaust

mondricek

I’m considering upgrading my exhaust system to something with more clearance. However, I live in California and noise pollution is an issue that we have to deal with here. Can someone recommend a quiet cat back exhaust for a 2014 JK 2 door that is tucked up and out of the way of rocks?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

mondricek

I’m considering upgrading my exhaust system to something with more clearance. However, I live in California and noise pollution is an issue that we have to deal with here. Can someone recommend a quiet cat back exhaust for a 2014 JK 2 door that is tucked up and out of the way of rocks?

Thank you!

Idk how to delete this from the tow rig board so please ignore

fiend

Caught the Bug
Why is everything labeled pollution in CA?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

I very much doubt noise restrictions on aftermarket exhausts are unique to California. Here’s the law in Arizona, for example:

A.R.S. § 28-955. Mufflers; noise and air pollution prevention; emissions control devices; civil penalty; exception

(a) A motor vehicle shall be equipped at all times with a muffler that is in good working order and that is in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise.

Compare:

California Vehicle Code

§ 27150. Adequate muffler required

(a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

Last edited:

BaddestCross

Yeah, but you forgot the new one from last year limiting noise to 95db...

Vehicle Code 27151. Modification of exhaust systems

(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.
(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a*sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

fiend

Caught the Bug
Yeah, but you forgot the new one from last year limiting noise to 95db...

Vehicle Code 27151. Modification of exhaust systems

(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.
(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a*sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

In some ways a clear 95 dbA limit is better for citizens than a vague “excessive or unusual” standard, which seemingly leaves a lot to LEO discretion.

Brute

Hooked
I'll never forget seeing a CHP on a motorcycle with his lights on weaving his way through traffic behind me while driving my JK6 in CA a couple years ago...as he pulls up next to me, I'm waiting for him to tell me to pull over because my tiny mufflers are barely reducing the sound of the Hellcat...instead, he yells at me "your jeep is awesome", gives me a thumbs up...then turns off his lights and drives away...

I started to laugh hysterically...

fiend

Caught the Bug
I'll never forget seeing a CHP on a motorcycle with his lights on weaving his way through traffic behind me while driving my JK6 in CA a couple years ago...as he pulls up next to me, I'm waiting for him to tell me to pull over because my tiny mufflers are barely reducing the sound of the Hellcat...instead, he yells at me "your jeep is awesome", gives me a thumbs up...then turns off his lights and drives away...

I’m sure all in accordance with CHP policy. [emoji849]

JK_0311

It was more a less a knock on CA to the point where people there live in fear, to the point where they are afraid to put a different exhaust on their vehicles, outside of the emissions concern.

While it’s on the books in AZ, I can almost guarantee few tickets have been written. My point, if this law was enforced my neighborhood would be much quieter.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Not a Chippie out there that carries dB meter... any reputable muffler out there for the JK would get through a contact no problem.

It was more a less a knock on CA to the point where people there live in fear, to the point where they are afraid to put a different exhaust on their vehicles, outside of the emissions concern.

While it’s on the books in AZ, I can almost guarantee few tickets have been written. My point, if this law was enforced my neighborhood would be much quieter.

I think it’s like fender laws or front license plate laws. Can you get a ticket? Sure. Is it something the average Jeep owner needs to worry about? No.

JK_0311

For sure, and I’d hope there is some “Jeep discretion”, like Brutes example versus if there’s a grumpy face...maybe that Jeep should have full fenders and a quiet exhaust or face a fine, especially since you can’t fine for the grumpy.

Noble Woodsman

That 95 dB requirement is meaningless without a defined distance from the source.

Last edited:

jdofmemi

That's a cool story.

You never know what you are going to get.

I think it’s like fender laws or front license plate laws. Can you get a ticket? Sure. Is it something the average Jeep owner needs to worry about? No.

Yep, just another of the seemingly million excuses to pull over who they want to.

That 95 dB requirement is meaningless without a defined distance from the source.

That should be cleared up in the SAE standard they refer to, but how many know it or care to look it up?

Top Bottom