2008 3.8 motor swap with 2007 3.8 motor?

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
Okay guys, it's been a while since I've been on here and posted, but lifes gotten busy. I check in every now and then and try to keep up but kind of in need of some info that I can't find.

My Jeep just turned over 250,000 miles... and instead of trying to rebuild the motor due to lifter noise that I've had for a while now and possible piston wrist pin issues.... And on top of that this is my daily driver and only vehicle..... My buddy has a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara motor and transmission with 140,000 that I'm getting from him for a very good deal. He pulled it out to do an LS swap in his Jeep.

my question is what are the differences between the motors? I know the blocks are the same but is it the accessories or is it the computer or the injectors???

I'm trying to figure this out before I buy everything from him and find out that it won't work with what I have, and I can swap accessories and I can swap intakes with injectors but if it goes farther than that I just need to pursue finding another motor set up.

If you look up a motor replacement for 2007 on www.car-part.com..... 2007 is the only option but if you look up for 2008, 2008 to 2011 are the options for motors

So basically I'm just trying to figure out what the hell the difference is between the 2007 and 2008-2011 motors so that way I don't buy my buddies motor and transmission and install everything and have issues. Also I'm not sure if the transmissions are the same now that I think about it but hopefully they are... I'm planning on separating my Rubicon transfer case and bolting it up to his setup so it's the easiest possible solution for me.

Not to mention the fact that I'm buying the motor and transmission from him which includes a PSC high volume pump and reservoir for $1,700!!! Hell you can't even buy a motor with that little miles for under $2,000.... Which is why I want this to work so bad LOL

Let me know what you guys think and thank you in advance [emoji120]

Sent from my moto z4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
140,000 mile 3.8L motor for $1700?

I bought a 3.6L with 16k miles on it and not a spec of dirt for $2500. You’re getting hosed honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug

I bought a 3.6L with 16k miles on it and not a spec of dirt for $2500. You’re getting hosed honestly.

No this is the motor and transmission.... They're already bolted together

I wish I could put a 3.6 in... But it's just as extensive as doing a V8 swap

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug

Sad part is most of the motors I found that have low miles like that on them, hell they're asking $2,000 more just for the freaking motor.... You can buy a reman for $2,600.

But like I said this is the motor and transmission

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Sad part is most of the motors I found that have low miles like that on them, hell they're asking $2,000 more just for the freaking motor.... You can buy a reman for $2,600.

But like I said this is the motor and transmission

Two second google search found a motor with 68k for 2400. I would do that before 140k.

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
Two second google search found a motor with 68k for 2400. I would do that before 140k.

Yeah I realize that I can buy a motor with a lot less miles for about $500 to $700 more... But again this is the motor and transmission, that's the only reason.

My motor is obviously having issues but I'm sure the transmission probably isn't very far behind it.... Its a package deal for $1700.

This is my daily driver so I'm just trying to do both at once. That's my only thought process and just take the opportunity to do both at once

WJCO

Meme King
With the amount of labor involved, no way I'd put a 3.8L in that already has 140k on it. If I really wanted to swap the motor, I would look for one with lower miles myself.

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
With the amount of labor involved, no way I'd put a 3.8L in that already has 140k on it. If I really wanted to swap the motor, I would look for one with lower miles myself.
Yeah maybe I will pursue trying to find a lower mileage motor.... I was just thinking since it was already packaged with the transmission it would be a good buy but maybe I'll wait till the transmission goes out to deal with that.

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
It sounds like you already have your mind made up, so good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
no haven't made up my mind yet, that's why I wanted to get people's opinion and see what the differences were, the more I look at it the more it looks like there's going to be issues swapping between the years anyway for whatever reason.... Like I told wjco....I was just trying to take advantage of the fact that it was already paired up with the transmission but maybe I'll just address that issue when it happens or if it happens.

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah maybe I will pursue trying to find a lower mileage motor.... I was just thinking since it was already packaged with the transmission it would be a good buy but maybe I'll wait till the transmission goes out to deal with that.

Even if it does fit, I just think the risk of the amount of labor isn't worth the results with that high of mileage on it.

A.J.

If you can wait about a month I will have one with 92k on it coming out of a 2011. Runs perfect. No noises no oil consumption. Auto trans. PM me if interested.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE

trailraider

Even if it does fit, I just think the risk of the amount of labor isn't worth the results with that high of mileage on it.

^^ this right here. I would not even consider anything with that high of mileage. this is wore out before you put it in, and that's if they took care of it.

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
Yeah that's true, that's very true. It sounds like more and more it's just not the way to go. Hell I can buy a reman long block for about $2150.

Thank you for the input.... I guess I'll just go a different route since it has such high mileage.

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
If you can wait about a month I will have one with 92k on it coming out of a 2011. Runs perfect. No noises no oil consumption. Auto trans. PM me if interested.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE
That's not bad at all, I will pm you. Fiend also sent me a link to a Craigslist ad with a low mileage motor and transmission as well.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
As mentioned, for the price, the time, and the mileage that motor and tranny isn’t worth it. Your better off finding something with less mileage for a little more money

Top Bottom