Offroad Tool Stowage

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Offroad Tool Stowage

Been a few months with other distractions. Thought I'd share a couple current thoughts...

Some of you may have seen my posts over the last few years, asking how folks stow their tools in their Jeeps. I've appreciated the range of solutions. Many tend to involve a mix of rigid (tool boxes) and soft bags. A couple milk crates have made appearances, too :). Thought I'd share my experiences and thoughts.

Last season was my 3rd iteration. Acquired a set of interlocking DeWalt boxes. Nice kit. Unfortunately, after a trip to SMORR, no matter what I tried, keeping them secured was all-but impossible. If you've done a SMORR creek/river bed, then you know what shake-n-bake can truly be about.

Tool boxes, generally seem to have 2 core problems for me. One is wasted space. They're just not efficient in the small confines of our vehicles. Either there's dead-air within, or they have gaps in'n'around them.

Second major problem is they're hard to secure. The DeWalts 'seemed' to have nooks, crannies, robust handles that would help solve this. Interlocking feet also seemed promising. Alas, not to be. The handles were nowhere near as robust as they appeared or felt. For high-way use, static use, probably not a problem. Off-road, handles broke, straps kept slipping/shifting (even when really clamped down). And of course when you're using straps to secure them, they're a headache to access, and, more wasted space in/around straps.

So, this season, heading done the path of 4th-gen tool stowage. Fundamentally, I travel with a fairly complete set of tools. Some would say over-kill (to each their own), but the tools run somewhere around 75lbs or so. Then add the 'stowage' solution. That can easily add another 25 lbs.

This year's approach is going to be what I always avoided in years past. Going with all-soft bags. Why?

They tend to simply stay in place, for one. Bounce the truck around, they tend to stay where they were. There's almost no wasted space. And, their shapes are malleable (with steel inside, that can be a 'relative' statement<g>). Easier to consume Jeep's own wasted spaces.

The other item, stowage-related, we're likely doing this year, is make Stitch (JKU-R) a full-time 2 door. Seats will come out and a Goose Gear package going in the back. We've started doing more week+ road trips and a more-consistently shaped space (and ability to secure things to the floor) will be useful. The kids are out, and the dogs will appreciate it, so why not.

This will be another interesting evolution for Stitch. Thought I'd share in case others face similar struggles.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
I'm a fan of these tool rolls from CLC... I was also looking at the Atlas 46 stuff but it's so dang expensive

Took a look. Thanks for pointing CLC out.

There are many things where spending big doesn't guarantee a product worthy of the expense. In the wheeling community though, I've found more often than not, the addage 'you get what you pay for' tends to be generally true. I detest unwittingly buying the same thing more than once. This is one case where I don't need a tool tearing through a bag, to know I should've just bit the bullet the first time<g>.

WJCO

Meme King
Offroad Tool Stowage

This year's approach is going to be what I always avoided in years past. Going with all-soft bags. Why?

They tend to simply stay in place, for one. Bounce the truck around, they tend to stay where they were. There's almost no wasted space. And, their shapes are malleable (with steel inside, that can be a 'relative' statement<g>). Easier to consume Jeep's own wasted spaces.

I've done this for years for all of the reasons you've stated. It works. I have 4 of them. Plus if needing to remove them from the vehicle, it's way easier than lifting one large one.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I use 2 or 3 soft shell bags and 1 plastic tote with fluid. I’m trying to really pare it back this year. My goal is to get me off the trail, no more no less.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Noble Woodsman

I also use soft bags (usually the harbor freight variety), but I store them in a locking tailgate box like the one linked below. This not only allows the bags to be out if sight, stabilized from shifting around, and locked away, but it also allows easy access to the floorpan storage cubby when the tailgate is opened. When the tailgate is closed and the top is off, the tailgate box also blocks access to the floorpan storage cubby.

https://www.amazon.com/Carrichs-Tailgate-Storage-2007-2017-Wrangler/dp/B07143K97J

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

JJ151

Thanks for the write up. I too was considering the DeWalt interlocking toolboxes as you described but haven’t pulled the trigger. Currently my tools are all contained in one large soft bag which takes up more floor space than I want. May need to move to multiple smaller soft bags.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I'm a fan of these tool rolls from CLC, I've had one buckled to the roll bar on my RZR for a few years & just added one to the jeep kit. The socket holders suck but the rest of it seems to work well, they're cheap on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKUTCY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was also looking at the Atlas 46 stuff but it's so dang expensive

Great thread OP!

This is a nice solution. I'll probably order 4 or 5 of these. Devote each to a different tool type, label outside.

Slimebones

I too use multiple soft bags for the same reasons stated above plus no rattling noises that you experience with hard boxes. All these bags are secured in a Tuffy security deck, meaning I do not have to strap them down. Of course this means removal of rear seat.

I'm using a single Fila brand duffle bag for my tools, and another Fila duffle for my recovery gear. I have a door door with the rest seat removed. The tools are behind (and sort of under) the passenger seat, whereas the recovery gear is in the same position under the driver's seat.

They're plenty big to hold everything,and their in there snug so they don't move anyway. They also don't take up a ton of space. I'm happy they're using that footwell space efficiently.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
I'm using a single Fila brand duffle bag for my tools...rear seat removed...tools are behind (and sort of under) the passenger seat...in there snug so they don't move...don't take up a ton of space. I'm happy they're using that footwell space efficiently.

Appreciate hearing you're enjoying success doing roughly what I'm planning. Basically want to put the Goose Gear platform in along with seat-deletes. Put the tools forward in a well.

Two years ago on our latest trip to Colorado, I had all the tools, and full ARB, all the way to the rear. Along with other items, Stitch's headlights were shooting a bit high; not stupidly so, but enough. One night in particular, we had a lot of semis flashing their behind-cab lights at us. It was clear we needed to balance the load a bit more-forward. This should help.

I spent my life motorcycling. Glad I came to Jeeps/offroading. Its an entirely fresh adventure. Next week starts our 5th season. Fun to look backward and see how far we've come.

Appreciate hearing you're enjoying success doing roughly what I'm planning. Basically want to put the Goose Gear platform in along with seat-deletes. Put the tools forward in a well.

Two years ago on our latest trip to Colorado, I had all the tools, and full ARB, all the way to the rear. Along with other items, Stitch's headlights were shooting a bit high; not stupidly so, but enough. One night in particular, we had a lot of semis flashing their behind-cab lights at us. It was clear we needed to balance the load a bit more-forward. This should help.

I spent my life motorcycling. Glad I came to Jeeps/offroading. Its an entirely fresh adventure. Next week starts our 5th season. Fun to look backward and see how far we've come.
I can try to get a pic. It's certainly nothing life altering, but they're easy to get to and pretty out of the way. Lol

I'm a pretty casual off roader, and I've tended to pack the kitchen sink when I did go. I've been actively trying to build a trail tool kit that I can just leave in the Jeep.

Part of that project is to also pare down all the gear I'm carrying and make effective use out of my 2Drs provided space.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

jeeeep

Hooked
I like tha Dickies rollup bags, fit nicely under the rear seat and they've lasted.

I've had 2 for 4yrs and still holding up

Top Bottom