For those of you experiencing ‘death wobble’!

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
I have never experienced it in my JLUR. I have in larger Ibeam trucks, and for sure it can be a little terrifying.
Sunday I replaced my tierod, and draglink with the new Synergy setup for JL. I bought and installed the stabilizer relocation bracket and ‘stem’.
I replaced the front track bar weeks back, so I had already had the lower track bar bolt out and back in.
Anyway after setting the toe and steering wheel on Sunday I rode tested briefly down my road. (Only 35mph).
Took twice to get steering wheel strait. All good.

Driving to shop this morning, when I hit about 47mph I got BAD death wobble!! WTF? I checked suspension components thoroughly. Everything tight. I torqued everything yesterday. WTF??

Well...when I replaced the lower trackbar bolt with new one from Synergy, I was having a hard time getting washer on and then the factory nut. Wanting to make sure I wasn’t cross-threading the nut, I left off washer and threaded in bolt. Torqued it. Checked to see if any gap with no washer. No gap. Only thing I did different...so I removed stem enough to get washer on. Torqued and road tested. Wobble completely gone.

I wrote all this showing my stupidity in hopes maybe someone with issue may realize one little washer can make a difference. Evidently once driving and with load that washer is needed!!

WJCO

Meme King
I have never experienced it in my JLUR. I have in larger Ibeam trucks, and for sure it can be a little terrifying.
Sunday I replaced my tierod, and draglink with the new Synergy setup for JL. I bought and installed the stabilizer relocation bracket and ‘stem’.
I replaced the front track bar weeks back, so I had already had the lower track bar bolt out and back in.
Anyway after setting the toe and steering wheel on Sunday I rode tested briefly down my road. (Only 35mph).
Took twice to get steering wheel strait. All good.

Driving to shop this morning, when I hit about 47mph I got BAD death wobble!! WTF? I checked suspension components thoroughly. Everything tight. I torqued everything yesterday. WTF??

Well...when I replaced the lower trackbar bolt with new one from Synergy, I was having a hard time getting washer on and then the factory nut. Wanting to make sure I wasn’t cross-threading the nut, I left off washer and threaded in bolt. Torqued it. Checked to see if any gap with no washer. No gap. Only thing I did different...so I removed stem enough to get washer on. Torqued and road tested. Wobble completely gone.

I wrote all this showing my stupidity in hopes maybe someone with issue may realize one little washer can make a difference. Evidently once driving and with load that washer is needed!!

What stem are you referring to?

What stem are you referring to?

I think he’s talking about the stud that acts as both the track bar bolt and the steering stabilizer bolt on the axle. I used the one that was provided with the fox steering stabilizer when installed that on my jku. Picture would clarify instantly, don’t have one...Funny thing is, I never had ANY wobble until I did this upgrade. Only upgraded because I obliterated my stock stabilizer and folded my stock tie rod on a rock. I may revisit this bolt area. Don’t remember if fox included a washer or not...Thanks OP

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

WJCO

Meme King
I think he’s talking about the stud that acts as both the track bar bolt and the steering stabilizer bolt on the axle. I used the one that was provided with the fox steering stabilizer when installed that on my jku. Picture would clarify instantly, don’t have one...Funny thing is, I never had ANY wobble until I did this upgrade. Only upgraded because I obliterated my stock stabilizer and folded my stock tie rod on a rock. I may revisit this bolt area. Don’t remember if fox included a washer or not...Thanks OP

I know what you're referring to now. Hope you get yours fixed as well.

WJCO

Meme King

This thing?

IMG_20200203_213106_686.jpg

I have a buddy with the same setup. Would be really cool if the problem was as simple as a missing washer.

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Not that washer WJCO...the one that goes in between the factory jam nut and axle housing mount. You use factory washer and jam nut on Synergy kit, and from your picture, also that kit.

WJCO

Meme King
Not that washer WJCO...the one that goes in between the factory jam nut and axle housing mount. You use factory washer and jam nut on Synergy kit, and from your picture, also that kit.

You're talking on the rear side of the axle bracket right? Not in the front where the stabilizer is?

Also, is the factory washer a normal flat washer or a lock washer? I assume flat washer.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I don't recall a factory washer on the rear of the axle side TB bracket. I know I don't have a washer there now, just a flag nut. Maybe it got lost in the shuffle. 🤔

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Can you take another picture just a little back out to see the location?

Is this looking down on the track bar mount to the axle?
lower track bar bolt.jpg

Here you are. I had taken this but didn't post. Answer to your question...yes. Taking picture from above looking down at axle housing

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
All of the videos I have just looked through where people are changing track bar on JL, I have not seen a washer yet. I am wondering why I have one.

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
The nut is backwards. I have the stock flagnut without a washer.

Look at the 'flag' on mine. It is correct. Bolt turns to the right to tighten and flag wedges right. It is different than other flange nuts for some reason.
The flange nut is shaped like a mail box flag if you know what I mean.

MericaMade

The nut is backwards. I have the stock flagnut without a washer.
Look at the 'flag' on mine. It is correct. Bolt turns to the right to tighten and flag wedges right. It is different than other flange nuts for some reason.
The flange nut is shaped like a mail box flag if you know what I mean.
I see what you mean but all the ones I have in my Jeep the flag part sits flush against the metal. Could have been just a bad welding day for the guy putting them together.

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom