Wind noise

Gduckman01

I just got a 2020 JL rubicon unlimited. I know it’s not a great long distant driving machine. But while driving from PHX to Las Vegas with about 30 mph winds the noise inside was very loud. Had to crank the radio just hear it. Usually around 70 mph it gets louder but not like we experienced on trip. Wife had to use ear plugs. Is there anything one can do tone it down??

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Napalm

Hard top or soft top?

I know my JLUR with the Trektop has some pretty significant wind noise, especially when I’m driving into winds. I’m still getting use to it from swapping over from the hard top!

jdofmemi

You want a luxury ride, buy a luxury car.

You want to be able to go anywhere, take the top off and enjoy nature, accept it may not fit the standard of luxury, but that of utility.

Turn up the radio and enjoy the journey

Dynamat all the things, undercoat the bottom of tub. Still will never be the quiet of riding in a German car, but better. Top makes a huge difference as well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Gduckman01

Hard top or soft top?

I know my JLUR with the Trektop has some pretty significant wind noise, especially when I’m driving into winds. I’m still getting use to it from swapping over from the hard top!

Ya. Can’t imagine it being any louder w soft top or no top. Love the Jeep tho. Would expect it to be loud w out the hard top

Ya. Can’t imagine it being any louder w soft top or no top. Love the Jeep tho. Would expect it to be loud w out the hard top

It’s a piece of plastic with no insulation or foam that just reflects noise instead of dampening it. Add the stick on headliner stuff it helps a bit.

Noble Woodsman

It’s a piece of plastic with no insulation or foam that just reflects noise instead of dampening it. Add the stick on headliner stuff it helps a bit.

I installed dynamat and the headliners on my jk with hard top and was honestly underwhelmed at the difference it made for wind noise. These work great at reducing the low frequency engine and wheel noise, but did not have much impact on the higher frequency wind noise in my experience. I think i still have screenshots of the before and after decibel vs frequency histograms from my sound meter that i can dig up if you're really interested.

For high frequency damping, acoustic foam and vehicle aerodynamics are the only two options, neither if which are practical here.

I installed dynamat and the headliners on my jk with hard top and was honestly underwhelmed at the difference it made for wind noise. These work great at reducing the low frequency engine and wheel noise, but did not have much impact on the higher frequency wind noise in my experience. I think i still have screenshots of the before and after decibel vs frequency histograms from my sound meter that i can dig up if you're really interested.

For high frequency damping, acoustic foam and vehicle aerodynamics are the only two options, neither if which are practical here.

Try raam audio ensolite. Works great. But it’s still a thin metal stamped vehicle. Only so much you can accomplish.

Gduckman01

Ya. It is a big square. Not really aerodynamic.

Seahawkfan

Hooked

Are you Phil Nye the science guy?? :cheesy:

Noble Woodsman

Are you Phil Nye the science guy?? :cheesy:

LOL actually in a previous job, I worked on a team that formulated the liquid applied sound damping (LASD) that OEMs spray onto vehicle tubs for NVH reduction, so measuring the sound levels was more than just a personal interest at the time. That said, I admit that I am a giant nerd.

Brute

Hooked
Good noise cancellation headphones...with blues guitar music. That's my solution in my JK6...try listening to the wind and a Hellcat for 10 hours...

Ddays

Hooked
Good noise cancellation headphones...with blues guitar music. That's my solution in my JK6...try listening to the wind and a Hellcat for 10 hours...

LOL, I use ear buds tethered to the ipad in my dash in mine. Works like a charm :thumb:

IceBerg

A buddy had a wind sound issue and the problem was the plastic on his mirrors. apparently they weren't snapped together correctly or something (?) and the dealership fixed it.

Top Bottom