Are you happy with the JL on 35's with 4.10 gearing?

Looking to buy a 2020 JL and wondering if 35" tires work well with the 4.10 gearing. Not planning on doing really hard core trails. Also trying for good gas mileage. Maybe 1 or 2 trips on the Rubicon would be by far the hardest run.

WJCO

Meme King
Looking to buy a 2020 JL and wondering if 35" tires work well with the 4.10 gearing. Not planning on doing really hard core trails. Also trying for good gas mileage. Maybe 1 or 2 trips on the Rubicon would be by far the hardest run.

I can't speak for it offroad, but as far as pavement I just put 35s on my JT a few weeks ago (3.6, auto, 4,10s) and it's great. Plenty of power, still rides good, etc. Even going up the mountains here in Colorado, it hauls ass with 35s. I haven't really done a good test for gas mileage, but I think the last time I looked at the info screen it was averaging 15. As far as gas mileage, I'm not the easiest on the skinny pedal so there is that. I have noticed on the freeway (80 mph) that it stays in 7th now, won't hardly go into 8th.

Ddays

Hooked
Absolutely yes. I am currently running 35" Ridge Grapplers on mine and it's awesome. Same as WJCO said: Mileage suffers (I average 15-ish) and I see 8th only on flats and downhills, but this thing will do burnouts and has plenty of power.
The 8 speed tranny is just fantastic. I so wish I had it in my '14.

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Absolutely yes. I am currently running 35" Ridge Grapplers on mine and it's awesome. Same as WJCO said: Mileage suffers (I average 15-ish) and I see 8th only on flats and downhills, but this thing will do burnouts and has plenty of power.
Burnout video then?

Sent from my SM-S506DL using WAYALIFE mobile app

MericaMade

My buddy has a JL with 35's and is thinking of going to 4:88's. Thoughts?

Ddays

Hooked
Burnout video then?

Sent from my SM-S506DL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nope, not until Brute does his first! His probably won't even do one though....:rolleyes2:

My buddy has a JL with 35's and is thinking of going to 4:88's. Thoughts?

Waste of money. I'd spend the $2-3000 that a re-gear would cost on something else worthwhile. Hell, a lot of people are running 37's on the 4:10's and are very happy with that setup. Eddie is one of them.

MericaMade

Nope, not until Brute does his first! His probably won't even do one though....:rolleyes2:

Waste of money. I'd spend the $2-3000 that a re-gear would cost on something else worthwhile. Hell, a lot of people are running 37's on the 4:10's and are very happy with that setup. Eddie is one of them.

Let me elaborate more. It's a D30 Sport with the 3.73. He wants to add lockers and at that time re-gear. Would stepping up to 4:10's be good?

Ddays

Hooked
Let me elaborate more. It's a D30 Sport with the 3.73. He wants to add lockers and at that time re-gear. Would stepping up to 4:10's be good?

A-ha. Locking a D30 is inviting breakage. Guys do it but it's not the best setup in the world for sure. Man, I still don't know if I'd re-gear from the 3:73's. I would imagine that's roughly the equal to running 37's with 4:10 gearing. Unless he lives in a mountainous area & has to deal with that I'd be tempted to hold off and maybe pick up a 44 takeoff from a JL & then re-gear to the 4:10's & lock it then.

Napalm

I agree with DDays. I wouldn’t regear from 3.73 especially with the 8 speed. I found it to be completely doable when I had the 3.73s and the 5 speed in my JKUS.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked

I may be doing one to some stock JT wheels in the future...then I will hold your feet, er, tires to the fire on this...

Canadian Rubi

I’ve been wondering what you guys use to keep your speedo accurate and your auto tranny shift points where they’re supposed to be once you’ve put larger tires on or changed gear ratios?
I use an SCT programmer on my non Jeep vehicle to keep everything happy.

WJCO

Meme King
I’ve been wondering what you guys use to keep your speedo accurate and your auto tranny shift points where they’re supposed to be once you’ve put larger tires on or changed gear ratios?
I use an SCT programmer on my non Jeep vehicle to keep everything happy.

When I put 35s on, I didn't notice any abnormal shifting issues. Speedo was off but that was it. I installed a Tazer Lite; cheap, easy, simple to use.

Dale72

Hooked

I thought when Eddie got the PR44 on JET he switched to 5:13 gears from what he said in the video

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
I thought when Eddie got the PR44 on JET he switched to 5:13 gears from what he said in the video

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

That could be - I know he ran with the stock 4:10's and 37's for some time. But the vast majority of guys out there have not regeared when going up to 37's. The 8 speed tranny makes that much of a difference and the pinion is that much stronger for not having to change it.

Ddays

Hooked
Here's the post regear video with 5.13s and 37s:

Good video - thanks for posting that up - I missed this one. I think Eddie sums it up perfectly around the 5:00 mark regarding re-gearing vs staying with the stock 4:10's. With this particular Jeep and how I use it, sticking with the 4:10's is the best choice for me. It''ll be interesting to see how it does in Moab and on the trip there this Summer with the 37's I'm taking off of Gruff.

Top Bottom