New frame on 1998 4cyl

Brent

Hello, all

I have a 1998 4cyl TJ 5spd. Purchased new. It now has 250000 miles and the frame is shot. I have a new one.

This jeep has gotten me everywhere I need to go, Some beach driving, snow, mild off-roading.

My request is recommendations for things I MUST do while the body is off and full access is possible.

Thanks
Brent

Noble Woodsman

I personally would undercoat the inside of the new frame while you have good access

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I second this. It's very difficult to protect the frame, especially the inside of the frame, when the body is mounted. Since the frame is already pretty clean, there should be less prep work to do at this stage too.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Elroy231

We did a frame off on an 02 last spring. I'd suggest all new lines and nee body mounts for sure. While you have. Yes definately treat the new frame while its bare. Enjoy the build.

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brent

Yep, the frame is coated and frame to tub connections will be repaired/replaced.

All lines will be replaced as well.

What about mechanical/ drivetrain suggestions as well?
At about 80,000 miles the transfer case crapped out, long story short, warranty replaced it with a 2002 Chrysler marked case (unsure of number but different than stock). Other than that NOTHING has broken.
For example, should I replace seals etc. throughout even if they are not leaking yet?

Thanks again

Elroy231

If it's easier now and within your budget, then now is the time. You may never have the access again that you do right now......
Yep, the frame is coated and frame to tub connections will be repaired/replaced.

All lines will be replaced as well.

What about mechanical/ drivetrain suggestions as well?
At about 80,000 miles the transfer case crapped out, long story short, warranty replaced it with a 2002 Chrysler marked case (unsure of number but different than stock). Other than that NOTHING has broken.
For example, should I replace seals etc. throughout even if they are not leaking yet?

Thanks again

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
I guess the best answer is as much as you can budget to do. Especially if your going to keep it for another 250k! Yes, the fuel and brake lines are only possible while the body is off as well as the mounts. I’d also do the wiring harness. After that much age and heat, the insulation is bound to be cracked grounding becomes a real possibility. If the seals are good on the driveline, I’d roll with them unless you have more funds available. Those can be accessed from below on a lift.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Brent

Love the LS idea! Can't do it' but love it.

I should have thought of the wiring harness but did not. It's on the list now.

Brake lines if they haven’t been done yet. If you have the smaller gas tank You can reach into the gas tank and modify the vent and fill so you can have the full 21 gallons. Paint everything with an epoxy based paint. If you can reach it paint it. Easy time to extend all the breathers higher. Inspect fuel and evap lines. Inspect the harness, wouldn’t replace it unless it feels brittle. Fluid changes on trans and transfer would be a little easier.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:
Top Bottom