Pulleys - What Everyone Should Know

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Seems a lot of fellow wheelers I talk with, regardless their experience level, aren't comfortable talking about using pulleys. So I thought I'd share...

Whether you have a winch or not, if you're taking your rig off-road, sooner or later you're going to need to be pulled out of a predicament using a line.

If you're using a line other than a snatch strap, you really should be at least minimally aware of how pulleys work and how they can save you a lot of effort.

Found this great video on YouTube that pretty much shows you all you need to know. Others that can get into interesting ways to do advanced rigging, but this video is what off-road wheelers really should know.

Cheers!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Seems a lot of fellow wheelers I talk with, regardless their experience level, aren't comfortable talking about using pulleys. So I thought I'd share...

Ive literally never heard anyone that is not comfortable talking about a snatch block.

Do we need to watch a video for you to tell us that a snatch block doubles the pulling power?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Ive literally never heard anyone that is not comfortable talking about a snatch block.

Do we need to watch a video for you to tell us that a snatch block doubles the pulling power?

I’ve never been uncomfortable talking about a snatch [emoji106]

Ddays

Hooked
I mean, I'm kinda uncomfortable talking about snatch blocks. Or is this not what we're talking about? I didn't watch the video....

ME-0038.png

jeeeep

Hooked
after a certain age, snatch block is more common than not...

damn I miss the 70's never even knew about snatch block then...

Alright since we’re on the subject of snatch blocks. Had anyone used those rope “pulleys” that are becoming popular? I look at them and even with their smooth and polished designs think they would just add so much strain and wear to the rope as it rotates. As well as soft shackles, I would feel uncomfortable using a soft shackle through my D-ring tabs as they are not the least bit rounded over. The edge isn’t “sharp” but a few thousand pounds on it and I don’t trust them. And more and more I see them being sold with the anti abrasion sleeve which makes me think I’m right?

IMG_5925.jpg
IMG_5924.jpg

interesting video. like the explanation.

do you all use snatch blocks or at least carry them?

i haven't but will be picking a few up to keep in my recovery bag.

JKbrick

I missed the video, is snatch block like when my wife says cock block? As in the other night when our daughter decided to wake up sick when we were getting ready to go to bed

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I missed the video, is snatch block like when my wife says cock block? As in the other night when our daughter decided to wake up sick when we were getting ready to go to bed

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Snatch block is when your wife's friend tries to get in the way. Cock block is when your friend tries to get in the way.

interesting video. like the explanation.

do you all use snatch blocks or at least carry them?

i haven't but will be picking a few up to keep in my recovery bag.

I carry one for angled pulls, I don’t bother with a double line pull with a 12k winch at its highest layer it’s still rated much higher than vehicle weighs. I also don’t dangle off mountain sides like a Jeep remake of vertical limit like some do 🤷🏻*♂️

nbunga

Caught the Bug
I carry one for angled pulls, I don’t bother with a double line pull with a 12k winch at its highest layer it’s still rated much higher than vehicle weighs. I also don’t dangle off mountain sides like a Jeep remake of vertical limit like some do 🤷🏻*♂️

I didn’t realize that you were so boring

are there any brands you guys recommend? hard to know if i'm looking at a quality product when online browsing.

yeah i really dont plan on dangling off the side of a mountain either... but never know... lol

WJCO

Meme King
are there any brands you guys recommend? hard to know if i'm looking at a quality product when online browsing.

yeah i really dont plan on dangling off the side of a mountain either... but never know... lol

Warn or ARB are two good brands.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
My winch bag has a snatch block. I'll probably buy 1 or 2 more to throw in at some point. I have 12k lb winch which should be adequate for most situations (keep in mind that means 12k lb freely rolling weight, anything causing resistance like mud or pulling up a steep slope adds a modifier the pulled vehicle weight). But there are some situations where you may need to use a tree to pull a friend out, and the snatch block can redirect the force. It also keeps your hook from coming back at you at 500 mph if your anchor gives. Or maybe some day I'll need to pull a dump truck out of a ditch.

If you’re gonna add some to the kit if you have 3+ you can reverse winch yourself. Might also want a winch extension line as well.

Top Bottom