Driveshaft question

nbunga

Caught the Bug
I’m shopping for a new front driveshaft right now. All the grease fell out of my stock one. I see Adams offers one with a new pinion yoke and also one that will bolt up directly to the stock pinion flange. Is there any advantage of getting one over the other, besides the obvious of not having to mess with removing your pinion nut and flange. It’s not much of a price difference to matter either way.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’m shopping for a new front driveshaft right now. All the grease fell out of my stock one. I see Adams offers one with a new pinion yoke and also one that will bolt up directly to the stock pinion flange. Is there any advantage of getting one over the other, besides the obvious of not having to mess with removing your pinion nut and flange. It’s not much of a price difference to matter either way.

First off, if you can find a local driveline shop, I would HIGHLY recommend you give them your business. I guarantee you that you'll use them again for rebalancing if nothing else and I'd be willing to bet that you can save a TON of money using them as well. That being said, the benefits of changing out the pinion to a yoke is that you can run a slightly longer drive shaft and that will reduce the chances of you having vibrations. The benefit of keeping the factory flange is that you don't have to worry about things like over crushing the crush sleeve.

nbunga

Caught the Bug
First off, if you can find a local driveline shop, I would HIGHLY recommend you give them your business. I guarantee you that you'll use them again for rebalancing if nothing else and I'd be willing to bet that you can save a TON of money using them as well. That being said, the benefits of changing out the pinion to a yoke is that you can run a slightly longer drive shaft and that will reduce the chances of you having vibrations. The benefit of keeping the factory flange is that you don't have to worry about things like over crushing the crush sleeve.
Thanks, I’ll probably just swap out the yoke then, not a big deal since I’ve done the gears myself before. I’d rather lessen my chances any vibrations.

As far as a local shop goes I’d much rather do that. We have a good driveline shop in town, but I’m pretty sure I’ve been told that they want quite a bit more than any of the online vendors to build one for a Jeep. I’ll have to check into it first hand though. I’d much rather go back to the guys that made them for any future balancing or maintenance.

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
Yea I think your lucky Eddie on the price you’re paying for your drive shaft. My local shop quoted me around $800 to $1000

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jesse3638

Hooked
Yea I think your lucky Eddie on the price you’re paying for your drive shaft. My local shop quoted me around $800 to $1000

Maintenance at my local shop is cheap plus he's helped me out a few times now without charging me. His price for a 1350 front is comparable to the big online builders so I'm more than happy to use him.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
My local guy is cheaper than the online guys too. Not by a big margin but I don't have to pay shipping and that adds up quick. And there is no magic in building driveshafts. Just be sure to ask for the style and size u-joints you want.

Torrin

Yup, when I wanted my work done, it was 40% more to use the local driveline guys. I even told them i would have to do it through online and they didn't seem to care. I would rather spend local, but not paying 40% higher.

Yup, when I wanted my work done, it was 40% more to use the local driveline guys. I even told them i would have to do it through online and they didn't seem to care. I would rather spend local, but not paying 40% higher.

Did you check with your local truck shops? Most if not all semi shops that do in house shafts will do smaller ones as well. Or they can refer you to where they send theirs.

Ddays

Hooked
Did you check with your local truck shops? Most if not all semi shops that do in house shafts will do smaller ones as well. Or they can refer you to where they send theirs.

This is where I take mine to. They do a lot of heavy equipment and trucks, but also do the smaller stuff as well. I think a lot of people don't think to stop there and go to garages and smaller shops instead.
I know garages send a lot of their stuff to the place I go to.

anyone use Drivelines Inc in Mission Viejo, CA? They are local to me but can't remember who referred them. Was going to stop by and have them check out my front. My front is a tad short after my recent suspension mods.

nbunga

Caught the Bug

Good idea. I know there’s a truck pro close. I’ll also ask the shop that works on our trucks at work

Torrin

I did check with a couple of local truck shops as well. I was using a local shop for other work and he tried to find a local shop as well. All were much more expensive. Likely just the area I am in.

Top Bottom