Need Help, I am at my wits end

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
Ok, so I have a vibration issue -- it is like going over a wash board road or rumble strips. The Vibration was originally at only about 45 MPH and now it is at 45, 55 and 60 MPH. It is not Death Wobble, My steering wheel does not shake and the Jeep drives straight as an arrow at all speeds. I originally thought it was a wheel bearing hub assembly because i also had a loud hum noise and when I would drive at about 40 and turn the steering wheel to the left it would go away. So, I attributed the vibration to the wheel bearing hub assembly. So, I called Timken to find an authorized dealer in my area because I was told Amazon and Home Depot had a batch of knock offs. So I was able to purchase two brand new Timken Wheel Bearing Hub Assemblies and replace them this past weekend.

The large hum noise is gone and when I pulled the passenger bearing out and rotated it you could hear the bearings going out. But, the vibration is not gone. I pulled the front drive shaft, checked the ball joints and my RCV Axle shafts. Re-torqued all the control arm bolts, tie rod ends, drag link, and Track Bar. I also re-greased everything.

When the vibration does occur, I have shifted the Jeep into Neutral to see if the vibration still happens and it does. I have also brought it to a Transmission shop and they hooked it up to the computer while they drove it with me and while the vibration occurred the transmission was operating just fine, no issues with the torque Converter locking up or problems shifting. It stumped him bad, matter of a fact he told me when I find out what it is to let him know because he is stumped, he jokingly said he would pay me. I have taken it to a reputable off-road shop here in Tucson and they have no idea and brought it to another shop and they are stumped.

Could the tires still be unbalanced, everything on the Jeep has been on the Jeep for over a year with no changes, it all occurred 4 weeks ago out of the blue. The bad wheel bearing issue was the same time has the vibration, I am beginning to wonder if I have a defective wheel hub assembly. When my originally wheel hub assembly was bad and I initially checked it by jacking up the vehicle and trying to move the tire there was no play at all int the tire or wheel bearing assembly. Once I got it off and turned the wheel hub you could hear and feeling the bearing inside. I have also checked the rear drive shaft no evidence of it being bad no play, no visible damage.

Sorry for the long post and Ideas please let me know?

My Jeep is a 2010 JKU Islander, I have a Rock Krawler 3.5 X-Factor lift (It has been on the Jeep for 9 years and I replaced all the Krawler Joints 1 Year ago and I grease them every 3,000 miles.) Dyna Trac Pro-Rock 44 front axle w/ Dynatrac pro steer ball joints, RCV axle shafts, Reid Knuckles and 37x13.5R17 Toyo Tires on ATX Slabs. I have had the tires re-balanced 3 times at Discount Tire.

Attachments

• EVO Bumper and Stinger Bar.jpg
    EVO Bumper and Stinger Bar.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 3CA32A7F-896D-4A35-AC33-679A503D5534.jpeg
    3CA32A7F-896D-4A35-AC33-679A503D5534.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

TrailHunter

Hooked
Did you try swapping the front wheels to the back to see if the vibration changes a bit? Or Swapping in the spare at each corner?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

TrailHunter

Hooked
Thinking about it... I had this same exact issue on my 2500HD... Going over rumble strips was my same description. The vibration felt and sounded like it was coming from the front of the truck... Blew my mind for months... finally took the rear drive shaft in, had the u-joints rebuilt and did a rebalance... the rumble was gone.

WJCO

Meme King
If it does it when the Jeep is in neutral, it's usually related to wheel bearings, tires, wheels. If you have someone that can help you, safely run the Jeep up to 45 mph while on a lift or on jack stands and see if it occurs. Being that your front wheels and driveshaft won't be turning, this may be able to help you to eliminate if it's coming from front or rear of the Jeep. And if it's still doing it up in the air, it'll be from the rear and hopefully you can visually be able to see something.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Agreed, And it’s also not to expensive to have the wheels balanced again. It’s taken me 2-3 times thru DT to get my 37s to run smooth.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

fiend

Caught the Bug
Take the front drive shaft out completely. Drive around under conditions in which you feel the vibration. If it’s gone, the driveshaft needs to be serviced. If the vibration is still there, reinstall the front driveshaft and remove the rear. Drive around in front wheel drive (transfer case in 4 wheel drive). Same thing as before: if the vibration is gone, the shaft needs servicing. If the vibration is still there, you’ve at least eliminated the drive shafts as potential causes. You need to do this driving test because just visually examining the shafts or trying to wiggle them while the Jeep is stationary won’t reveal all potential problems. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Weebz

Caught the Bug
Agree fully with the above. I’ve had very similar issues and every time it was a u-joint home on the drive shaft. Easy to check and doesn’t cost money to verify.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Some solid advice has been given. Please give one or a few of them a try and let us know if anything helped.

Just to throw in a weird answer to all the right answers above, I had a similar issue once ended up being I bumped the transfer skid up about an inch on an obstacle which threw the angle off, took me awhile to figure out it wasn’t the driveshaft itself causing the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Brute

Hooked
I developed a shimmy coming back from the Rubicon a couple years ago...only occurred around 60-70 mph. I had scraped a weight off the rear drive shaft...rebalanced the shaft, vibration was gone...

Top Bottom