Thread: Pre-2012 JK regear question

Fresh Catch

Pre-2012 JK regear question

So I regeared my 2010 jk 3.8 auto with 3.73s to 4.56s today-Was told I did not need to program the pcm by the shop to account for the new 4.56 ratio gears- Iím still getting some saying it needs done and some saying if itís a model prior to 2012 there is no need to do so. I just donít want to tear up my engine or trans due to rpms/shifting issues. I just got it back today from the shop and havenít really had a chance to test it out fully yet. Seems like it runs fine, per gps speedo, appears to be correct as I previously flashed for the 33 inch tires. Was windy today, so not sure about the shift points and if Thr downshifting issue has gone away. Anymore feedback is always welcome. anyone else on here have the regear done and yours is a older pre-2012 year? Any of you out there that has actually done this...does the axle/gear profile need updated? Thank you all.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Knows a Thing or Two Seahawkfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibjeepin2 View Post
    So I regeared my 2010 jk 3.8 auto with 3.73s to 4.56s today-Was told I did not need to program the pcm by the shop to account for the new 4.56 ratio gears- Iím still getting some saying it needs done and some saying if itís a model prior to 2012 there is no need to do so. I just donít want to tear up my engine or trans due to rpms/shifting issues. I just got it back today from the shop and havenít really had a chance to test it out fully yet. Seems like it runs fine, per gps speedo, appears to be correct as I previously flashed for the 33 inch tires. Was windy today, so not sure about the shift points and if Thr downshifting issue has gone away. Anymore feedback is always welcome. anyone else on here have the regear done and yours is a older pre-2012 year? Any of you out there that has actually done this...does the axle/gear profile need updated? Thank you all.

If there is a 4.56 option on your programmer I would say yes. Why not?

If you didn't program the gears, I'm extremely surprised your Jeep hasn't gone into limp mode yet.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

Is it a manual? Your jeep will drive fine but the speedo will be off.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37Ē Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5Ē Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40Ē Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

automatic, yes

manual, no but speedo will be off

If it's a daily driver I'd do it to get the speedo correct especially for school zones, those damn tickets are expensive and they don't care if you tell them your speedo is off

Knows a Thing or Two Seahawkfan's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Ibjeepin2;1194583]So I regeared my 2010 jk 3.8 auto with 3.73s to 4.56s

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkfan View Post
    If there is a 4.56 option on your programmer I would say yes. Why not?
    Thanks. Thatís my thinking too. Appreciate the feedback.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by BaddestCross View Post
    If you didn't program the gears, I'm extremely surprised your Jeep hasn't gone into limp mode yet.

Thats what Iím trying to prevent. Drives perfectly fine right now and speedo is fine as I previously programmed for my bigger tires, just not the gears at this point.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Fresh Catch
    Update: This is the information Iíve been looking for and appreciate all the input and feedback. I double checked my programmer (JScan) to ensure proper tire size (285s) 33s actually measuring 32Ē so that is correct. Before messing with the axle ratio setting I took it for a spin. Previously it would down shift in the slightest headwind or going up the slightest of hills. (Steel bumpers, winch, rock sliders, hardtop, full doors, etc) I had no issue whatsoever ever with the overdrive in the on position! Went up a somewhat steep grade at 45mph without having to push the OD button! No limp mode and my gps app shows correct speed. So Iím assuming the articles Iíve been reading that if the JK is prior to 2012 with an auto 42RLE (which mine is) then a flash to update the ratio isnít needed in my instance. . Rpms/speed are fine, shifting feels smooth and accurate and no down shifting! Iíll drive as is for now until my gears are broke in and will post updates if I end up trying to do the flash.