Advice Needed on First Jeep Purchase

Hello - I'm new to Jeep and Wayalife. Is it a good idea to wait one model year and purchase a 2021 Gladiator (sport) eco-diesel vs the upcoming 2020 model? In general, i've learned that first-year models tend to have more issues, so is this the case with Jeep as a brand? My end goal is to build up my gladiator for both camping and rock climbing. I'm hooked on the idea of better fuel economy and torque that the diesel has - what are your thoughts? Also, i'm not a fan of a V8 swap as i prefer reliability and torque over horsepower - i think... Do you agree?

WJCO

Meme King
I personally wouldn't buy a diesel with all the extra parts they have nowadays. Too much can go wrong. Diesels used to be awesome.

Napalm

If you are going with the JL platform(i.e. Gladiator/JL) I’d for sure stick with the 3.6L Pentastar V6. Like WJCO said, the new diesel has new parts and long term durability/reliability has yet to be determined. While the 3.6 isn’t perfect, it’s definitely a good motor. Paired with the 8 speed transmission, it’s incredible and works well with stock gearing(Rubicon/sport max tow models) up to a 37inch tire.

Just the DEF system in general turns me off from buying any diesel now days in my opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
If you are going with the JL platform(i.e. Gladiator/JL) I’d for sure stick with the 3.6L Pentastar V6. Like WJCO said, the new diesel has new parts and long term durability/reliability has yet to be determined. While the 3.6 isn’t perfect, it’s definitely a good motor. Paired with the 8 speed transmission, it’s incredible and works well with stock gearing(Rubicon/sport max tow models) up to a 37inch tire.

Just the DEF system in general turns me off from buying any diesel now days in my opinion!

For sure, the DEF system just adds one more headache. My 18 Ram would go almost 10k on 20 gallons. My 19 only will go 3500 miles on 10 gallons. It’s a total PITA.

I agree with the guys, 3.6 with the 8 speed is a hard combination to beat.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
For sure, the DEF system just adds one more headache. My 18 Ram would go almost 10k on 20 gallons. My 19 only will go 3500 miles on 10 gallons. It’s a total PITA.

I agree with the guys, 3.6 with the 8 speed is a hard combination to beat.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

20 gallons?!?! I hope that’s a typo.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wjtstudios

Hooked
I think he’s talking gallons of DEF fluid.

500 miles a gallon, he must be driving in low range, towing a huge trailer, or doing a butt-ton of idling/running a PTO. Should have better range than that

I know what he was talking about. That’s why I questioned it. Seems stupid high.

Something.

Yes yes, should have read my text first before I push reply. But low range towing 24k would do it too! 5 gallons goes about 3500 miles right now and I haven’t even begun towing the gooseneck and Jeep yet. My only guess is the increased emission standards.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom