Sanity check please!

Catfathers

Hey guys, I’m relatively new to wheeling and I wanted to come by and get the general consensus on what I do and do not need. I want to trim down my “need” list for wheeling and WOL seems like the most hardcore of the Jeep forums to get the most experienced advice.

I’m currently running 37s on an aftermarket D44 with chromoly shafts and 35 spline rear, air lockers, 1310 F/R driveshafts, 1 ton drag link and tie rod, and a 3” lift on my 17 JKU.

Frankly the Jeep is much more capable than I am currently but I want to get to tougher trails. My goal is to fix weakest components first to prevent breakage or failure leaving me stranded.

What skids in your guys experience are most important? I’d like to keep weight down, what’s the consensus on aluminum skids?

I don’t have a lot of feel for what is and is not too much steering input just yet, I’m considering upgrading to the big bore steering box. Will that suffice or should I grab the pump too?

Any advice would be helpful. I’d rather spend money on parts now than a tow later!

(I’ve avoided dropping any company names)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
You are in the right place and it appears you’re searching the build threads. I would recommend that. Everyone has used different armor, and equipment. Some of shared very in depth reviews and offer their actual experience. I would keep reading the threads and see what others have shared and if you are interested in the equipment they run, then ask about it. I built my JK to be a daily driver (35s with a 3.5 inch lift) that had moderate capabilities off-road. It still gives me the ability to run everything trail at Uwharrie.

As a member please follow the rules of the forum and you’ll have a great time on here. When you have a chance, go to the Give Us A Wave thread and introduce yourself. Each new member that does seems to get a better welcome.

Welcome,
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hey guys, I’m relatively new to wheeling and I wanted to come by and get the general consensus on what I do and do not need. I want to trim down my “need” list for wheeling and WOL seems like the most hardcore of the Jeep forums to get the most experienced advice.

I’m currently running 37s on an aftermarket D44 with chromoly shafts and 35 spline rear, air lockers, 1310 F/R driveshafts, 1 ton drag link and tie rod, and a 3” lift on my 17 JKU.

Frankly the Jeep is much more capable than I am currently but I want to get to tougher trails. My goal is to fix weakest components first to prevent breakage or failure leaving me stranded.

What skids in your guys experience are most important? I’d like to keep weight down, what’s the consensus on aluminum skids?

I don’t have a lot of feel for what is and is not too much steering input just yet, I’m considering upgrading to the big bore steering box. Will that suffice or should I grab the pump too?

Any advice would be helpful. I’d rather spend money on parts now than a tow later!

(I’ve avoided dropping any company names)

Sounds like you already got a solid set up.

I assume you have a winch and other recovery gear. If not that would be the first things to get. As for skids, an oil pan skid I would recommend and a trans pan skid if you have an automatic.

As for aluminum vs steel I always lean toward steel. The minimal weight difference is not gonna be noticeable on a vehicle that already weights 5000lbs + as most of our here do.

For the big bore, I have heard it’s amazing with just the replacement of the box. You can always add the pump and ram assist later down the road if you think it’s needed.

WJCO

Meme King
I've never used aluminum skids but Rock Hard 4x4 and EVO make well-designed skids and I believe Rock Hard 4x4 makes theirs in aluminum.

Catfathers

@MattAlpha

Hey man, thanks for the welcome! Yea I was admittedly a bit lazy jumping straight to the topic creation. I posted in the “Give is a wave” thread a few minutes ago! Thanks for the heads up. Joining this forum has given me enough to read to kill the last few weeks of this deployment and salivate over wheeling adventures and mods

I do already have a winch and recovery gear, that was I think the very first thing I snagged thanks to fellow Jeepers.

I just read that oil pan and transmission are recommended on another thread so that’s the route I’ll go.

I’ll likely end up going with just the PSC big bore for now and report back. More veteran input gives me the warm and fuzzy that I’m making correct choices and not buying junk or unnecessary equipment. Thanks fellas.

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
When you order the Big Bore, order it ported and ready for the Ram. That way you can always upgrade down the road with out having to pull the steering gear again. It is a great setup and will help a bunch turning. But it’s still nothing like having the Ram assist which is levels better.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Noble Woodsman

I run the rockhard 4x4 steel skids, and I love them. If I recall correctly, I think they were one of the only ones to offer an oil pan skid that mounted to the frame instead of the engine, which they advertised would help reduce wear on the engine mounts in sharp impact scenarios. I also like how the washers prevent the bolts from shearing off. I have the whole belly pan system, but if I had to do it again, I would skip the fuel tank skid, since the factory fuel tank skid has been sufficient for me.

I would also recommend frame mounted rock sliders, if you don't already have them. I run boat side rock hard 4x4. Most people IMO don't prefer the boat sides, but I like them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom